Coolant leak from "Pipe To intake manifold"

genEus

I found the sob... http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=2&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2308&groupid=51823&subgroupid=4707&componentid=2889&makeid=6&model=Lumina&year=1999&graphicID=CR95070&callout=12&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Soooo... The pipe that is pointed to with the red arrow in the picture (it's not my engine bay, just a pic i found online) goes across the engine from left to right, underneath the upper manifold, underneath the injectors, and on the right side, somewhere close to the throttle body it goes back into the block... Well, in that point, it is leaking... When I was putting the engine back together after my less-than-trouble-free LIM fixing episode, I had to use some force to get that pipe back in its place. It didn't have a gasket and it was pretty much just the aluminum pipe itself jammed into the block... It was a bytch to get it out and a bytch to put it back in and I think I may have bent it or something, because now there is coolant coming out of there, as if a tiny space has formed between the pipe and the block

What would you suggest to fix it? I was thinking of just putting some high temp epoxy all around it, without taking anything apart but I don't know if it won't crack or something after a little time. Any advice you guys have?

Thanks!

That tube is part of the LIM, You may be able to patch it up, But i would just replace the UIM and LIM. If you do, You might as well do a 3400 top swap. :smile:

Here is a pic of the LIM.

DSC00405.jpg

NEVER REMOVE THAT PIPE IF IT IS GOOD! Since you have passed that point....

on the 95 ciera I built (same motor) this pipe was bad. I found it easier to go to my local J/Y and grab a good intake from a car that had a good pipe with a bad motor.

HOWEVER... the FSM says/shows the pipe is replaceable... Ergo it is a part that should be available. CONTACT your local GM DEALER.

P.S. although you just did the intake... if you did not use the metal FEL-PRO PERMASEAL gasket set... Plan to do it again.

NEVER REMOVE THAT PIPE IF IT IS GOOD! Since you have passed that point....

on the 95 ciera I built (same motor) this pipe was bad. I found it easier to go to my local J/Y and grab a good intake from a car that had a good pipe with a bad motor.

HOWEVER... the FSM says/shows the pipe is replaceable... Ergo it is a part that should be available. CONTACT your local GM DEALER.

:cry:

I suck.

the FSM says/shows the pipe is replaceable...

I did not know that, I always thought it was part of the LIM. I guess you learn something new everyday. :lol:

I threw a quick PS in there...

I did use the metal gaskets... but come on... i have to do it again???? Arrrrrghhhh, there's GOT to be a better way!

GOOD!

the FSM says/shows the pipe is replaceable... Ergo it is a part that should be available. CONTACT your local GM DEALER.

I threw a quick PS in there...

I did use the metal gaskets... but come on... i have to do it again???? Arrrrrghhhh, there's GOT to be a better way!

GOOD!

the FSM says/shows the pipe is replaceable... Ergo it is a part that should be available. CONTACT your local GM DEALER.

Yeah maybe if all I need to take out is the upper manifold and the fuel rails it won't be horrible. Apparently it's just called "Pipe To intake manifold" - I updated the OP with the link to a diagram

Crazy K, mind telling me what the FSM says about replacing it?? :smile:

I don't remember all the details. And I can't refence them as I am not at home. sorry.

Basically you pull the old one out and the new one magically slips into place. LOL

P.S. although you just did the intake... if you did not use the metal FEL-PRO PERMASEAL gasket set... Plan to do it again.

I think this is a load of bullhonkey. I used newer GM intake gaskets on my 3100/3400 hybrid and they did not leak.

didn't Brian P's GM redesigned intake gaskets fail at 40k????

yeah. leave that bolt alone and never remove the pipe. the one I replaced was rotted and was missing the last inch.

I don't know, but we never had that many comebacks on the newer ones from Frank Z Chevy... and there were a LOT of them done there.

if you can see there is a bolt holding the pipe down and in place. usually thats a sign that its removable

Wait... I think I misread that. Did you mean to say "there is a bolt holding that pipe down and in place" ?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah. leave that bolt alone and never remove the pipe. the one I replaced was rotted and was missing the last inch.

LOL, yeah, something was sure leaking very slightly. I couldn't find evidence of damage to the gasket but I for sure had an internal leak. After the gasket change (went with the metal Dorman's), it has been just fine.