WTF-Did I blow my speakers?

2002ls1z

I've noticed the front door speakers in my '01 Buick Century make a rattling sound when even a little bit of bass is turned up. Today, I was playing the radio and my rear speakers went out. I don't even play my music that loud. Now, you can only hear a little bit of music if you play only the rear speakers. My car has the stock Concert Sound speakers. Did I blow the rear speakers? If so, that's got to be the weakest sound system ever, as i've always had factory speakers and never had problems. Any recommendation on speakers for a person on a budget? My Century is only my daily driver, so I don't want to spend a lot of money for a fix. Can I install the speakers myself?

Is it the stock HU? When I had an aftermarket unit, I had some wires come loose over time where I joined the harnesses together and I barely got sound out of my rear speakers...

If it's the stock HU, maybe the rear channel went bad inside the HU...

I've got issues with the rear speakers in my Regal with Concert sound. The problem I have is when it is cool in the car, there is only treble coming out of the rear speakers. Once the car has sat outside in the sun, then the rears work perfectly. I have checked and it is definately a speaker issue. I'm thinking that there is a low pass filter that is shot.

Yours might be the same issue for the rear. But the front one....that one could just be blown. My dad's 06 silverado has a blown front speaker and all he ever listens to is talk radio, and i know its never been overpowered. Sometimes they just get screwy.

Is it the stock HU? When I had an aftermarket unit, I had some wires come loose over time where I joined the harnesses together and I barely got sound out of my rear speakers...

If it's the stock HU, maybe the rear channel went bad inside the HU...

Nope, aftermarket Sony.

Check all the wiring behind your radio and try swapping in a different radio. If that doesnt fix your problem you will most likely need new speakers. The concert sound system pretty much suck ass.

That rattling sound more than likely means the woofer cone on your speaker is blown. I had the same thing happen to one of the 6X9's in my CS when I put in a new HU. The first thing you should do is check any speakers that rattle, and if you see any damage, you'll have to replace them. Your best bet would be to check out Crutchfield.com or eBay. You can find pretty good deals on speakers through either of them.

I got a 97 century...

With the "concert sound" also. Tat just means you have comps in the front. The rear is still the same old crappy 6X9's.

Parts Express had the stock GM 6x9's for $1 each... Give them a call, Im sure they wont be listed on their site.