Stumped with this problem.....Updated, new question on page 2.....

w00tah

Well, after talking to dad today, he explained the problem a little better. He said that sometimes when pressing the brake pedal, it stopped smoothly and felt like regular brakes, and sometimes, it was like pressing against a brick wall.

Sounds a bit more like a vacuum problem...

Well, after talking to dad today, he explained the problem a little better. He said that sometimes when pressing the brake pedal, it stopped smoothly and felt like regular brakes, and sometimes, it was like pressing against a brick wall.

my thought too.

Inspect the vacuum valve at the brake booster. I sometimes spray silicone lube or tire shine or something good for rubber in there to help it seal. I have on more than one occasion seen this valve leak due to dry rot.

Would the vacuum cause the ABS light to stay on though?

Kef

Kef

!?!?!?! That is a separate problem. No.

tell your dad this:

Antilock brake systems are also designed to be as "failsafe" as possible. Should a failure occur in the ABS control electronics, most systems will deactivate themselves. (what ours do) The ABS warning light will come on, but the vehicle will still have normal braking. This does not make the vehicle unsafe to drive.

Kef

!?!?!?! That is a separate problem. No.

Yeah, I know. I was responding to this:

As I stated originally, the ABS light is on and stays on.

If the pump went out, would it go to that "fail safe mode", and this is just a bleeding problem, or are things deeper than that?

Thanks, sorry if I got confusing. I hope I cleared it up a bit.

Kef

I don't think you understood.

we think you have two problems:

abs system failure: car can be driven safely without repairing.

vacuum system failure: most likely the booster valve has dry rotted. I occasionally spray mine with a rubber friendly lubricant, but a new vacuum booster valve cost less than $5 bucks if it is bad.

I don't think you understood.

we think you have two problems:

abs system failure: car can be driven safely without repairing.

vacuum system failure: most likely the booster valve has dry rotted. I occasionally spray mine with a rubber friendly lubricant, but a new vacuum booster valve cost less than $5 bucks if it is bad.

Ok, well, I will check this most likely Monday, since that's my next day off. Hopefully I can get this solved for cheap, as the car is just about as perfect as you could hope for in an Ohio car (salt, snow, rain, etc.). I think there is maybe one spot of rust on the whole car, and that's at the base of the spoiler in the middle, and it's maybe a half inch long piece.

Has the Delco/Bose stereo (which will be replaced as soon as it's in my possession, I loathe stock equipment). For 1k and only 129k on the ODO, I think it's a sound investment for the money. Like I said, it sounded very healthy when my dad got into it.

Thanks to all, I'll try to update this if I get it fixed or whatnot.

Crazy, I especially appreciate the help and tip. Chris, thanks for your input. Everyone else, thanks a ton for your input/insight.

You guys are one of the most helpful forums I've been a member of.

Kef