Stumped with this problem.....Updated, new question on page 2.....

w00tah

Hello all. Newbie here, never dealt with GM before this, but I wanted to get an answer.

My father's friend has a 1992 Z34 for sale. He bought it from an impound lot because it was abandoned, and it needed brakes. Note that this car hasn't been driven for 3 years. Dave went ahead and replaced everything he could think of brake wise (calipers, rotors, pads, drivers side line, and fluid). Well, Dave said the brakes still didn't feel right. My dad and I went and looked at it today, and Dad took it for a drive. He said the brakes stop great, but the ABS doesn't kick in, and they just lock up. He also said the ABS light is on, and when you turn it off, and then turn it back on, the ABS light comes back on.

Other than the ABS sensors (which I've done a little reading on the first few pages and they seem like they are a high failure item), is there any other thing I should look at?

Sorry if it's been asked, but I'm not the greatest at searching or wording to use for searching, so I figure I'd ask for help.

Thanks in advance,

Kef

Edit: Added a new question, page 2 for it.

Thanks,

Kef

Expensive...Personally, I'd live with it, my 1994 has a bad pump and I haven't felt like replacing it, I'm just more cautious driving it because I know the wheels will lock up if i brake hard. Took the bulb out of the dash too so the ABS light doesn't glow all the time.

I'd find a good used pump though if you're intent on fixing it.

Here's what else fits in terms of a used one...

CUTLASS 92-93 Assm

GRAND PRIX 92-93 Assm

LUMINA CAR 92-94 Assm

LUMINA CAR 96-00 Assm; opt 9C3, (police)

LUMINA CAR 96-00 Assm; opt 9C6, (taxi)

REGAL 92-93 Assm

So you think it's worth buying for 1k if I have to live with it? He's going to call around in the morning about the pump, see if any of the j/y's around here have one.

Any way to test them to see if they are good without having to install them?

Kef

If the rest of the car is in good shape and the car runs and drives well, the it's definitely worth $1K...

With a pump, it's kind of hit or miss, a good yard will pull one from a car that runs and they are able to make sure the ABS light isn't on and the pump does its thing up on start up.

Yeah, it's kinda got a bit of miss to it, but I think that's just from not being started/driven for so long. It didn't have any gas in it either, that didn't help.

Yeah, the body is solid, the interior is solid, it's got 129k on the odo, which is less than I was expecting. After he drove it, when he got back, for some reason, it died, when he started it back up, he free revved it a couple times, and it sounded VERY healthy.

I'm going to have to drive it first, and see if I'd be able to live with it without the ABS. He's the only person I've found who's willing to work with me on payments for it, as I can't get financed *haven't been at my job long enough to get a loan*

Thanks,

Kef

I'll know more tomorrow, like I said, I'm going to drive it and see if it's something I'd be willing to live with. I'm going to have dad try and locate a pump, and deal with it until I can get it fixed.

The only downside I've noticed is that installing my aftermarket h/u is going to be a bitch, since it's got the Delco/Bose shit in it instead of normal Delco stock. I hate having to bypass factory premium shit. Oh well, at least it's got door mounted speakers instead of those dash openings. I'd much rather have a bit lower soundstage than to have nasty reflections from the windshield.

Anyways, I'll update this tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, even if that's not what the problem turns out to be.

Kef

the bose stuff can be a bitch, i believe someone a ctually makes a adapter so you can use the bose amp and everything with a aftermatket hu, check crutchfield i think they sell it.

the bose stuff can be a bitch, i believe someone a ctually makes a adapter so you can use the bose amp and everything with a aftermatket hu, check crutchfield i think they sell it.

I know they make an amplifier adapter, but I'm replacing all of the speakers as well, and I don't want to use the Bose amp. I detest their products. I'll end up just running my own wire from my headunit.

Still looking for a pump locally, so far it's no go.

Kef

I know they make an amplifier adapter, but I'm replacing all of the speakers as well, and I don't want to use the Bose amp. I detest their products. I'll end up just running my own wire from my headunit.

Kef

Yeah, that interface, isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

my ABS hasnt worked for about 2 years now, it really isnt that bad, believe me. just have to drive smart whenever it is rainy/snowy.

the car does still stop, so why bother? 1000 bucks aint bad for a z car, i wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole to be honest, i am a little scared of the 3.4DOHC motor, a real nightmare to work on......

good luck man!

My old Z34's ABS went out as well, and to be truthful, I was happy it did. The ABS system was very finicky, and never seemed to work all that correctly. IMO, I was happier with the braking in that car than in my Grand Prix.

Same Issue with my 94 Lumina, and Without a Scanner I broke my ass replacing the wheel sensors.

You can find the problem with a good OBD-I Scanner My 1994 has an issue, I'm running 225/55/R17 Tires and you really need to Stand on the brake pedal to make them lock up. It stops nice and straight so it's not high on the to do list.

my ABS hasnt worked for about 2 years now, it really isnt that bad, believe me. just have to drive smart whenever it is rainy/snowy.

the car does still stop, so why bother? 1000 bucks aint bad for a z car, i wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole to be honest, i am a little scared of the 3.4DOHC motor, a real nightmare to work on......

good luck man!

Well, that's what I've heard too, but for 1k, and with the money he's got in it to begin with, I think it'd be a decent bet for a car that'll last me a little while. Even if it's only for 6 months or so, I'd be fine with that. It'll give me enough time at work that I'll be able to get the loan for the car I looked at beforehand.

I'll be making payments each week on it, so it's not like I'm out a ton of money or anything.

As for not having ABS, every car I've had hasn't had ABS. I don't see why my dad is so adamant about me fixing it first.

:confused:

Kef

IMO ABS is for people who shouldn't be driving. :biggrin:

as long as the ABS light is on, but not the brake light, the car could be driven the rest of it's life that way. there is no reason to fix it unless you expect to drive on ice and crap regularly, and are incapable of mastering the skills necessary to control a car under those conditions.

to recap: if you LEARN how to control your braking and driving under poor weather conditions, you don't need ABS, and it is not worth fixing anyhow. BUT... you should take the time to practice emergency control on a nice slick parking lot, and learn how to pump the brakes and steer.

Well, that's what I've heard too, but for 1k, and with the money he's got in it to begin with, I think it'd be a decent bet for a car that'll last me a little while. Even if it's only for 6 months or so, I'd be fine with that. It'll give me enough time at work that I'll be able to get the loan for the car I looked at beforehand.

I'll be making payments each week on it, so it's not like I'm out a ton of money or anything.

As for not having ABS, every car I've had hasn't had ABS. I don't see why my dad is so adamant about me fixing it first.

:confused:

Kef

that really is the best way to look at it.....and 1000 really isnt that bad...i wish i had 1000 right now.....lol....i really like the car, and it is zippy.....just i dont want to work on it.

Well, after talking to dad today, he explained the problem a little better. He said that sometimes when pressing the brake pedal, it stopped smoothly and felt like regular brakes, and sometimes, it was like pressing against a brick wall.

I'm probably going to get the car, but I need to know, how hard is it to get rid of ABS/disable it? Would I be able to just install a normal master cylinder and plumb it for regular non-ABS brakes?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it a ton.

Kef

It's more of a pain than what its worth. To completely get rid of it, you'd have to get Non-ABS hubs, master cylinder, possibly turn it off in the ecm (or just pull the bulb out of the guage cluster lol), and a few other odds and ends. You can use your normal ABS hubs, but you'd have sensors there doing nothing.

Yeah, I was hoping that it would be somewhat simple, like pulling a fuse/relay or something along those lines. I figured, turn it off somehow, then get the brakes bled properly, and I'd be ok. I think that might be part of it, as the brakes were bled by an old school mechanic (read: not the recommended method for these cars) so that might be the problem if there is a special way to do the brakes on the Z's.

Anyways, anyone else able to chime in?

Appreciate the help a ton guys, at least you aren't like some of the past car forums I've been a member on. Most of the time, I just got laughed at for asking stupid/repetitive questions.

Kef

My ABS pump isn't functioning, from what I can tell it hasn't been working for at least a year and a half. My GP is still my DD, and i haven't had any braking problems.

I just recently went through most all of the brake system and re-bled everything. I have a firm pedal, its just a decent distance before I actually have pressure.

As far as stopping is concerned, the car stops great... in the back of my mind I'd still like to get the ABS fixed, and I've found the part I need... just a matter of time to get it on there.

It's really up to you. Your concern should be (like others said) the condition of the timing belt. Are you willing to do motor work on the DOHC? (I love my 3.1! lol)