BIG BRAKES ARE DONE

dohc v6

Ok well I have some good news and some bad news.

The bad, the 10.9 people will have to upgrade there brakes to 11.25 to make these work, sorry but there is just no way for them to fit to the 10.9

The good, I have got the basic set up done. it will consist of a spacer for the hub, and a modified GXP bracket. Now I am not sure that I can get the GXP brackets so you will have to look for them, or buy the kit from me.

I have a pic of what they look like with the rotors on, I will be getting the parts made this week and will go from there. I will not say how much I will charge yet, as I have not had them made. But basically you will have the choice of buying the spacer and the modified bracket, or the whole kit. I am not sure on the price but it should not be much more than the orignal plan. I though that the brakes would fit with a bracket, but there is no way. Sorry, for the increased price, but it will be worth it. I will get back with prices this week. Then from ther I will talk about a group deal.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dohc v6

• blackbombshell95

• BXX

• CSI_MuNkY

Here is what I am going to do. I am going to build a set for my car, then once you see them on my car, with miles on them, you can then make up your mind to buy them from me. Now I dont know of anyone else doing this, infact I am teh pioneer of alot of shit on this forum. So I should have them on in a week or two, but dont expect miles to be put on them for a month. I am going to do my OBD II swap, tune, exhasut, turbo timer, ect. so I am takin my car off the road to get all of this shit done.Here is what it looks like with just the rotor.

02-17-08_2158.jpg

Caliper clearance shouldn't be a problem for me, its looking as though whatever after market wheels I choose I will have to get a wheel adapter set up to achieve the offset of 20-25mm. Its looking like I'll be having 15-18mm adapters (the type that bolt to the hub and the wheel bolts to them) otherwise the wheels won't fill out the B4U the way I want.

So my main concern is the rim size, I'm currently looking at 17 and 18 inch rims, focusing more on the 18s for big brakes in the future, but having 17s as an option would open up a lot of options.

Jamie

Nope, no tire rubbing. The studs will be the same length as stock. So there will be plenty of threads left on the studs Infact it will be the exact same as stock. There spacer is necessary so that the rotor will center on the caliper. As far as price, I found out the price on the brackets and the whole kit but not for the machining. I am Thinking that the price for just the brackets, modified and hub spacers should be around $325. Then all you need is a caliper, rotor and pads. I thought that I could make these alot cheaper but there is just no way. If we get a group buy then we can for sure make it around $250 i am thinknig. I think that the kit as a whole will be around $750. I will get more accurate prices soon, so dont wuote me on the prices, just a ball park figure.

Well damn this is so much harder than I orignally thought it would be. I think that the easiest solution is to have the tabs that the orignal calipers mount to, cut off, and new ones welded on. The problem that I have run into is that the caliper wont fit inside the rotor. This is the safest way to do it and the cheapest. I know it requires welding, but I can have that done farily cheap. I can buy sets from the JY and have them pre welded, so that all that has to be done is the strut disassembeled and sent back to me. And also this will work for all brakes, 10.9 and 11.25. I have thought about using the stock brackets no less than 20 hours, and the only way to make the new calipers bolt on is to unsafely machine the bracket down, and that gets sketchy. I think this the easiert way. I am thinking $100 for the new struts, plus cores. Thats even cheaper than the orignal plan. Does this sound like something people might be interested in? I am going to do mine, just need to know about the people on here.

Well damn this is so much harder than I orignally thought it would be. I think that the easiest solution is to have the tabs that the orignal calipers mount to, cut off, and new ones welded on. The problem that I have run into is that the caliper wont fit inside the rotor. This is the safest way to do it and the cheapest. I know it requires welding, but I can have that done farily cheap. I can buy sets from the JY and have them pre welded, so that all that has to be done is the strut disassembeled and sent back to me. And also this will work for all brakes, 10.9 and 11.25. I have thought about using the stock brackets no less than 20 hours, and the only way to make the new calipers bolt on is to unsafely machine the bracket down, and that gets sketchy. I think this the easiert way. I am thinking $100 for the new struts, plus cores. Thats even cheaper than the orignal plan. Does this sound like something people might be interested in? I am going to do mine, just need to know about the people on here.

I was thinking before you started trying to make a bracket that the best way would be to do that (cut the tabs and weld on a new bracket). Good luck and thank you for actually trying to do something and making it available! :thumb: :high5:

Oh, I will make these work. I think that I might need to go bigger though. I think that the GXP rotors are not big enough. I am doing research right now.

Finish what you got.

Good one,lol. I am going to pick up a strut mount from the yard on saturday. I am also going to have the brackets machined tomorrow. so hopefully by next wed or earlier I will have something for everyone.

GXP rotors aren't big enough? Jesus it's not like you're trying to stop a 747...they're w-bodies....

about as damn heavy as a 747 :lol:

I have a weight slip on my 96 CS showing its 3756lbs without me and 1/8 tank of gas

GXP rotors aren't big enough? Jesus it's not like you're trying to stop a 747...they're w-bodies....

about as damn heavy as a 747 :lol:

I have a weight slip on my 96 CS showing its 3756lbs without me and 1/8 tank of gas

WOW why is it that heavy? My Lumina was only around 3300-3400. My GP is about 3500 something with me in it.

They may be heavy, but they aren't powerful enough to be going that fast to need bigger than 13" rotors. *edit* err...well, dohc v6 may be exempt from that statement :lol:

How much braking do you really need?

These cars weigh what, 3400 lbs? My new Bonneville GXP has 12.715" front vented rotors and 11.72" rear vented rotors and it manages a 126 foot 60-0 stopping distance. The 2006 GTO makes it in 125 ft with (correct me if I'm wrong) C5 brake rotors and calipers. The 2005 Mustang does it in 120 with 12.7" front rotors.

I mean how fast do you really need to stop? These aren't Vettes we're talking about.

Go big or go home fellas, just wait. This thread wont be a waste of time. Just give me some time to design and I will have you all stunned. I just took my car off the road, so that means its business,lol.