• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dohc v6

• blackbombshell95

• BXX

• CSI_MuNkY

What the hell. I just took everything thing that SMOOTH said and am going to do it. He told me that I should have some back up plan is somone sues me. So I thought about what he said and am going to see about stress testing them. The price might go up but then everyone can sleep better at night. I take peoples advice, as I said in one of my comments on page 9, I asked him what he has learned and used his information. Yes we have been arguing but non the less, I am glad that he was such a dick, he made one good valid point about sueing.

Stress testing them is a GREAT idea.

I don't know how they do it, but I assume that they factor in the weight of the vehicle... might I suggest telling them 5000lb? I know I know, our cars don't weight that much. But, factor in peoples sound systems of their DDs and a full load of people, thats probably the harshest condition you will come up against.

Jamie

Are your brackets going to require modifying the stock bracket? Or will they be the type that mount to the existing brake bracket moving the caliper out from the center of the wheel?

I dunno man.... weight wise, you can't compare a j-body to a w-body... kinda like comparing my scrawny ass to a sumo wrestler

Jamie

actually they weight close to 3000lbs. But you see the holes for the mounting of the hub, look at the material between it, like less than 1/8 inch. But my brackets will mount to the existing stock housing, no modifiing if I can help it.

So your bracket is basically going to move the bolt holes out to fit a 13" rotor. I know there is going to be some provision for depth of the rotor. Meaning that the hat on the rotor may not be the same, so overall depth of the rotor may change. If my idea is right of what your design is, it's more or less going to be something like a 3/16 -1/4 plate that has holes in it to mount to the stock knuckle, and then holes to mount the caliper to. I considered this myself, but haven't had the time with college.

To the point, Tensile Strength of 4140 chrome-moly steel is around 100,000 psi. That being said, the elastic limit of steel alloys is near 50% of TS. The elastic limit meaning that you could cyclicly load it for ever, as long as you stay under the limit, and it will not fatigue. So playing safe, we'll say it's 40,000 psi. One note about the aluminum, no matter how lightly loaded aluminum is, it does not have infinite life. So to the people that are worried about unsprung weight, i'd rather have mine made out of steel.

Anyway, doing some quick calcs shows that these brackets could have a cross-sectional area of about 1 square inch, something like 4" tall 1/4" thick, and still have a factor of safety of about 4. That was also assuming 70-0 in 100 feet in a 4000lb car.

So depending on the design, the bolts may be the weaker link than than the bracket, but since I haven't seen it, I could just be talking out of my ass.

Peace

Gotta love UPS shit holes, The calipers were supposed to be here today, but now it looks like monday. The only good thing about this is the rotors are coming monday as well.

Na, its just when you expect something to be there on a certain day, it should be there. My brother was a SUP at UPS and I know what goes on there so thats what pisses me off. I am actually very excited about this project, belive it or not.

Whats the distance between bolt holes on the calipers and the distance between holes on the 11.25 knuckles.

If we didnt have 6 inches of snow dumped on up this morning, I would go pull off my wheel and measure :willynilly: