• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dohc v6

• blackbombshell95

• BXX

• CSI_MuNkY

doesn't it all play into the rotational mass as well?

oh, yeah, it'll slow the car down and make it less enthusiastic off the line, but with his turbo, it won't be that big of a deal. you're definitely going to need to step up the rear brakes if you have 13"+ rotors on the front.

AUUUUUU Just read through 16 pages of this thread! This is amaizing, i mean everyone agrees that the stock is not adequete unless you're a 90year old-going-grocery-shopping. Frankly, i'm glad someone is at leas trying to make something. As far as i'm concerned, big boys dont care about this market, it's not big enough, so everything has to be custom made. I'd like to say yes i want to get a set of these, but i'll have to wait and see how it all plays out!

oh' date=' yeah, it'll slow the car down and make it less enthusiastic off the line, but with his turbo, it won't be that big of a deal. you're definitely going to need to step up the rear brakes if you have 13"+ rotors on the front.

[/quote']

Will you really? I mean the rear rotors are 10.5" and while not vented, the car's weight distribution is still very heavily biased toward the front. I noticed that whenever my ABS kicked in on the regal, it was always because the rear lost traction, not the front.

Just a thought...

oh' date=' yeah, it'll slow the car down and make it less enthusiastic off the line, but with his turbo, it won't be that big of a deal. you're definitely going to need to step up the rear brakes if you have 13"+ rotors on the front.

[/quote']

Exactly cause the brake bias will be way off. If you cranked the bias forward "a whole bunch", you'd lock the front wheels long before the rear wheels were really working well. In that case, the front brakes are doing most of the work and your braking performance suffers.

Good one,lol. I am going to pick up a strut mount from the yard on saturday. I am also going to have the brackets machined tomorrow. so hopefully by next wed or earlier I will have something for everyone.

perhaps making a bracket like this?

UMIbracket.jpg

take off the hub, cut the "ears", then attach that bracket between the spindle and hub. example is a LS1 f-body where C6 Z06 rotors and calipers are replacing stock rotors and calipers.

EBAY1.jpg

EBAY2.jpg

EBAY3.jpg

EBAY5.jpg

EBAY4.jpg

Go big or go home fellas

My philosophy for everything!!!! :lol:

Being on a site dedicated to 12+ year old family cars....I can see that...

Hey now, my 2 door regal isn't a family car. Get it straight. El-der-ly.

On another note, those Corvette calipers look hot.

Yeah, those brackets wont do jack shit for our cars. I thouhg about that already. The fronts on a F-Body are hub only, where we have a axel shaft going throught it. If I made somehting like that, it would cause the axel to have less splines on the hub. good idea, but wont work here. My new idea will work. I should have something soon.

Yeah, those brackets wont do jack shit for our cars. I thouhg about that already. The fronts on a F-Body are hub only, where we have a axel shaft going throught it. If I made somehting like that, it would cause the axel to have less splines on the hub. good idea, but wont work here. My new idea will work. I should have something soon.

It might not work on the front, but how about the rear? I have to agree with the talk on this page about the brake bias. What is the stock size on the rear of the GXP?

Jamie

I beleved its 11.5. And yeah I can make the rears easy. Just do that exact same thing. The only problem with the rears is the E-brake. Let me get the fronts done first and then we can go from there.

Well just for an update. I did go to the JY today and picked up a strut housing. I will modify the housing tomorrow and will go from there. I am hoping to have something by the end of this week

I don't have time right now to read 16 pages, but I am VERY interested in upgrading to big brakes on my TGP. What has been accomplished in this thread so far? I was originally going to work off of this......

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62144

But if you already hove something going that will work I will definitely be going with that.

Wow, looks like the grand am guys have it made easy, everything just bolts up if you use the right combination of pieces. If you look at the comparison pics the caliper bracket has the same mounting points, it just sticks out farther....

482117_332_full.jpg

Jamie

This internet thing. I can type like anything here and it goes onto a magical screen and people can read it all over the world.

ITS AMAZING!!!!

oh and the brakes are amazing too.

BTW. Is it such a great idea to use aluminum for a base for calipers? I mean I know you can get high tensile shit but can it take the torque that would be applied when the caliper grabs the disc with all that weight??? I can see a small car or motorcycle. But midsized w/ large wheels? All I can think of is the base shearing off at the ears where the sliders are.

The hub brackets in the pic on the previous page are made from a single piece of aluminum and CNC machined into its final piece and then clear anodized for corrosion protection. All the aftermarket brackets for brake kits for 4th gen f-fobys are made from aluminum.

Aluminum is ok to use on brakes, sure it will last and it wont crack. its even lighter than steel. The reson that I wanted to use 4140 is because of the added security. But since I dont have to make those brackets, who cares. I am going to have to have somehting made, and it will be 4140, for sure.

Got the knuckles this weekend and mocked them up. I need to find the time to design the bracket and get it made and what not then it will be ready to go. I have school the rest of this week so please be patient.

P2190112.jpg

P2190111.jpg

With how much design, and engineering I doubt that I will be able to price these for as cheap as I mentioned before. I am not going to say anything about price, but please dont expect the whole kits be be under $800. Let me get them made, then we will talk money.

With how much design, and engineering I doubt that I will be able to price these for as cheap as I mentioned before. I am not going to say anything about price, but please dont expect the whole kits be be under $800. Let me get them made, then we will talk money.

Then im out. I would rather do it myself for a bit cheaper where I dont have to throw out $800 all at once...

Thanks anyway

BTW, if you still have one of those 3100 CAIs I might be interested soon. Curiousity has gotten the best outta me and I have a friend who can hook me up with dyno time for cheap... I wanna see what power it can make. PM me if you still have one and how much..