Engine replacement

Doober

The time to replace an old and worn out 3,1 on my '91 Regal limited came up!

The engine i was offered was eqipped with intake manifold with "3100 ..." mark. My old one has "3,1 multi port F1" nameplate on the intake. The question is if the "3100..."- engine suitable for me in case i install my manifolds, front case, cylinder head covers e.t.c.?

ThankS for paying attention on my trouble!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RangeStang

• Doober

• Brian P

• 19Cutlass94

there's a lot of little things that you'd have to adapt to or replace, including fuel line connections, throttle cable, many brackets, etc it's not difficult but it's not a simple job either. If you're looking for simple, definetly go grab a 3.1 MPFI instead.

Or he could always take the heads&covers off the mpfi and put them on the 3100. He would get a 9.6.1comp. ratio instead of 8.8.1 and he would also get the roller cam. All he would have to do is get some custom push rods from comp cams or something just a thought. :idea:

Or he could always take the heads&covers off the mpfi and put them on the 3100. He would get a 9.6.1comp. ratio instead of 8.8.1 and he would also get the roller cam. All he would have to do is get some custom push rods from comp cams or something just a thought. :idea:

It's an idea. Only problem is making sure to get the right length pushrods, otherwise it's mayhem.

However, that tool doesnt do much good if you dont know what your doing with it and how to determine what length you need...

:wink:

If you got the time to swap everything from timing covers, to heads, all manifolds, brackets etc then determine correct pushrod length, and order them, that would work. Just very time consuming and not exactly a simple job overall.

I am going to do this with my 92 lumina it has a thrust bearing going out. :sad: I have a spare 3400 short block laying around with a rod knock. I am going to mik it all and trough a new set of bearings in it and go to town talk about a tire shredder. :lol:

I think finding the correct length pushrod is harder than swapping the 3100 parts on! :lol:

But theres so many people that make them now. We have one here. Its a pretty nifty thing!

I may pick up one when I swap camshafts again. For a while those were tough to find, people were making their own :lol:

I have a write up somewhere on my computer on how to make them. I will try to find it.

I think finding the correct length pushrod is harder than swapping the 3100 parts on! :lol:

But theres so many people that make them now. We have one here. Its a pretty nifty thing!

Bahhhh pish posh!

Takes time to do this right cause once you get a measurement for the intake pushrods you need to do it all over again for the exhaust pushrods. Not a hard thing to do at all, just need to take your time.

By the way, i was told that some on-block sensor holes' location differs 3,1 to 3100 (crankshaft position, camshaft). It means that at least harness, subsequently ECU need to be replaced too.

And what else??? I think that this is too many dificultes. I suppose that the result of such swap isn't worth time, power, and money that has to be spent on it.

Or maybe i'm wrong? If performance or reliability of later 3,1 is better than old one's?

By the way, i was told that some on-block sensor holes' location differs 3,1 to 3100 (crankshaft position, camshaft). It means that at least harness, subsequently ECU need to be replaced too.

And what else??? I think that this is too many dificultes. I suppose that the result of such swap isn't worth time, power, and money that has to be spent on it.

Or maybe i'm wrong? If performance or reliability of later 3,1 is better than old one's?

You do not have to replace the harness,ecu! :rolleyes: here is a link to a guy that is running his stock 2.8L ecu in his turbo 3400 caviler. :twisted: http://khturbo.net/rmtz24/RMTZ24.html#Results Ask him if no one else chimes in he is good about getting back to you I have e-mailed him before. :high5: Good luck!

the crank sensor is in the same spot, but the knock sensor is on the opposite side. Just need to lengthen the 1 wire and route it to the other wise. Don't worry about the cam sensor or the 2nd crank sensor, you don't need them.

the crank sensor is in the same spot, but the knock sensor is on the opposite side. Just need to lengthen the 1 wire and route it to the other wise. Don't worry about the cam sensor or the 2nd crank sensor, you don't need them.

Tank you for clearing that up! :thumb:

Am I the only one to realize that he is from Moscow? That makes it a little more difficult to get parts. I'm sure he can't just take a 10 minute drive to the wreckers.

That being said, you may want to swap the heads and intake set up. This would give you the new block, but everything above the block would be old and you would have to find a way to get the correct pushrods. Wouldn't the cam that would come in the 3100 be more beneficial as well?

That being said, the 3.1 Multi port that you have now is quite a reliable engine. They commonly attain marks of 350,000+ kms. I had the not so good version (the 2.8) and I got about that out of that engine.

Am I the only one to realize that he is from Moscow? That makes it a little more difficult to get parts. I'm sure he can't just take a 10 minute drive to the wreckers.

That being said, you may want to swap the heads and intake set up. This would give you the new block, but everything above the block would be old and you would have to find a way to get the correct pushrods. Wouldn't the cam that would come in the 3100 be more beneficial as well?

That being said, the 3.1 Multi port that you have now is quite a reliable engine. They commonly attain marks of 350,000+ kms. I had the not so good version (the 2.8) and I got about that out of that engine.

Are you talking about putting the old 3.1L heads and stuff on the 3100 block if so yes the 3100 cam is slightly better because of the roller design. P.S. I thought the only bad 2.8's were the non MPFI ones because of a very week bottom end. I believe they changed to a better bearing design or wider bearings or something like that when they went MPFI