Converting n/a to BOOSTY

god910

I am (hopefully) getting ready to buy a turbo 3.1 and don't know the condition of the rotating assy. I do know however that my engine is in great shape, and am thinking of putting all the Turbo stuff on my N/A motor until I can get the motor rebuilt, then swap the engine onto a whole differnt subframe and get new suspension, and the whole works, and just drop the old, in w/ the new. Could I get a list of all that needs to be swapped over, it would also be a good start for other wanting to piece together a turbo kit. Here's a start

Injectors

Exh. manifolds and crossover

Upper intake (cool factor)

Engine sensors

ECM

Better fuel pump (walbro?)

I also want to go w/ a manual boost controller, I know most people don't believe in this, but I back it up w/ trying to learn about the 3.1 Knock Sensor and getting a gauge (Like the GN's use) and watching that for boost adj. (Easier, cheaper, and more flexible) I'm really tired so I am sure I left out a ton I would usually remember, but help me out guys. Thanks alot, hope to be joining your ranks soon. :worship:

First of all..there are MANY topics on this subject. You can even look on the first page of posts and see them. Secondly, you're probably not going to get good results if you don't beef up your engine internals. You're also going to need a different transmission, because the N/A transmission is much too weak.

These items also need to be added to your list:

2 bar MAP Sensor

Oil Cooler (TGPs have them, the oil gets kinda toasty going through the Turbo)

Intercooler (Some say you don't need it, but the turbo is nowhere near as efficient without one)

TGP Radiator

TGP Oil pan. What do you mean by Engine Sensors?? The only one I can think of is the 2 Bar MAP, which was already mentioned. Yeah, n/a auto tranny is going to blow up on you, might as well go for a 5spd sway while you have the subframe and motor out

Robby

I was told that as long as it was not an -E tranny it could be beefed up fine. As far as the I/C not a problem, I don't want a hotair car. I am thinking of using 2 1g DSM I/C's (the sidemount stock ones) one on each side of the car. They go pretty cheaply on ebay. The Radiator, could I use a lower T-stat and run both fans to engage at normal primary temp? Wouldn't that keep it cool enough? And as I said, I AM rebuilding the bottom end from the Turbo motor, but I want to do it on my own time. So I want to bolt on the turbo stuff to my current 3.1 until that is done.

Oh the Down pipe too.

What kind of instument cluster do you have? Digital or anolog. Eaither way. Just to check if she'll run on the TGP code. install the 2bar map, and TGP chip and injectors and see how she responds. It should run fine. If not ..then report back.

If all well....

If you have the intercoolers installed and all the pipes and had weld a turbo support braket onto your tranny mount.(someone here had pic of that. on their stock trany) ...then procide...

On a week end bolt up the injectors (done), the cool turbo intake manafold(done), exhaust manafolds. Make room for your down pipe. Bolt dp braket support on rear head. Bolt x-over on---<-presure check it for leaks. Hoist engine up a tad to be able to remove oil pan and install turbo pan on. and install coolant inlet pipe for turbo. Butten bottom end up. Install oil cooler. Install cooling lines. Install turbo. Install oil return line. Install turbo coolant line. install turbo oil feed line. then coolant return line. Install intercoolers(done), IC pipes(done). boost controler. Slap on a cone filter on there too while your at it before your beer turn warm.