95 Cutty and Alpine CDE-9881 Will this work?

jenniferpa

As far as there isn't as many wires in the connection harness as the oem harness, there are some data wires that an aftermarket radio won't use, wires for steering wheel radio controls, wires from steering wheel AC controls, etc...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jenniferpa

• slick

• Dirty Rockstar

• Brian P

OK: I am now absolutely convinced I have the wrong harness connector: the date of the radio manufacture is 1993 and when I look at the scosche GM02 harness, I can see that would appear to fit perfectly.

Oops I see you posted again while I was typing: the in car harness looks more like the bottom picture, only there are actually 3 plugs. Is one of those for the features you mentioned (steering wheel controls etc, none of which I have)

Yep, you got the wrong harness then. Sounds like you have the standard GM harness, not the Blue 32-pin harness, and definately not the new style harness.

Neither??? It's a radio/casette, and has 2 knobs on the left. I actually got the correct harness now: oh it's so much easier! And strangely I was relating the problem to the chap in the parts store, and he told me he has a friend with a cutlass (95) with a 93 radio which had the same problem. If it's relevant the radio says it was "remanufactured". Whatever: I seem to be back on track: all I've got to do now is make it fit (hollow laughter)

Neither??? It's a radio/casette, and has 2 knobs on the left. I actually got the correct harness now: oh it's so much easier! And strangely I was relating the problem to the chap in the parts store, and he told me he has a friend with a cutlass (95) with a 93 radio which had the same problem. If it's relevant the radio says it was "remanufactured". Whatever: I seem to be back on track: all I've got to do now is make it fit (hollow laughter)

Interesting. Does your stereo say "Oldsmobile" on it, or "Delco"?

Says Delco on it. However, I now have another more important problem. Made all the connections, but when I turn the damn thing on I'm getting a pulsing noise which is (I think, may be) a grounding issue? I grounded (is that a word) it through the harness: should I re-think this?

Edited to add: well I finally tracked this down to something to do with the antenna: it plays CD's fine. Tomorrow (I've had enough of this tonight) I'll try and track down the problem - I assume it's something to do with the adapter.

You know I don't think I'm fated to put this stupid thing in: I ordered an AI-Net to Ipod connector (after the one I got locally turned out to be the wrong thing) and would you believe it, I was sent an ai-net to 22 female pin harness thingy (instead of the ipod connector)! It's labelled right, but it's not right. Bah Humbug.

Many thanks for everyones help

Jennifer

Well woop de do: it looks like I have a duff head-unit. Having been on the phone to Alpine we can't find anything that would have this effect on just the radio tuner (constant exceptionally loud regular pulsing noise from just the back speakers, unaffected by the volume control, unaffected by whether the engine is running or not). So I'll have to take it out again and take it back to Best Buy. Unless anyone has another suggestion? CD works fine.

Bad antenna lead? They will have to bench test it before it can be returned, but most bench's don't have an antenna lead to test with. Hopefully you get it all resolved.

That was my first thought but: the noise occurs whether or not the antenna is attached or not, and further more, would not the noise produced by a bad antenna lead be affected by the volume control? If you change the volume control the radio stations get louder or softer but the "noise" remains constant. Although why this is only happening with the back speakers not the front has confused us all.

Jennifer

Look at the speakers in the rear deck. Check for two connectors on one speaker. If you have two, you need to disconnect one. I assumed this was part of the "UQ3" sound package, and these are DVC speakers (At least they were in my 94). DIconnect the lead which causes the noise, and you should be good to go.

This is assuming you are having the same problem I had.

Success - well sort of. I DO have the UQ3 premium sound system (who knew), or at least part of it: I believe that the radio was replaced at some point with an older model. Whatever.

This is what I believe is happening: when the CD operates, the HU is using its internal amp. However when the radio operates, the signal that is sent to raise the power antenna ALSO turns on the car's amp, however the new HU has no way to control that hence the bizarre noise. Having checked the wiring diagram here http://www.wbodysource.com/Gallery/d/846-1/radio2.JPG it's clear that the 4 extra wires I mentioned previously are for the subwoofer left and right feed and return.

I am assuming at this point that my only options are to either bypass the car's amp, or physically disconnect the appropriate wires from the DVC speakers, unless anyone knows how get the antenna up without turning the amp on.

Having said all that, I'm quite prepared to accept that my logic is faulty. Perhaps it's the other way around: is maybe the car's amp NOT coming on and it needs to be? This sticky http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,56205.0.html has raised that possibility in my mind.

Jennifer

(aka Confused of Western PA)

Well... you could do as steve suggest and disconnect one of the two wires that go's to each speaker, until you get rid of the noise. Or.... go aftermarket, and run your own wire.

Well, on my car, I had my Pioneer hooked up, and I got a shrill, blood curdling scream when I hooked the deck up and listened to it, no matter what mode. I disconnected the wires mentioned above, and it went away. Just for shits and grins, I hooked them back up when I installed the Alpine.. The scream went away when in CD mode.

This may only be for my car as it is a 94 vs. 95, but I would think this is quite probable.

Problem solved. I did what you both recommended and disconnected 1 pair of leads from each back speaker (the outer most ones in case this is standard) and now no "shrill blood curdling scream". I got lucky and it was the first set I disconnected, although I would have been happier if I hadn't had to climb into (and more problematically, out of) the trunk to do it.

Many thanks

Jennifer