95 Cutty and Alpine CDE-9881 Will this work?

jenniferpa

I have found this forum very helpful with other problems relating to this 95 Cutlass Supreme SL (breaking door handles anyone?) so I'm hoping you can advise me on this.

Although officially my car, this car is used mostly by my son. He wants to install the above head unit and I'm wondering how much grief it's going to give me. I recognise that for most any aftermarket HU I'm going to need an installation kit, a wiring harness and an antenna adaptor. Having checked the crutchfield site, this model is not recommended for this type of car, but I've seen elsewhere on the forum that this can be due to them not having the installation kit, rather than it simply not fitting. So, any idea if it will fit? What sort of problems can I envision? I assume clearance (particularly depth) will be the primary problem.

Any advice anyone can give me will be much appreciated. Also, is there any particular installation kit that you would recommend for this car?

Jennifer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jenniferpa

• slick

• Dirty Rockstar

• Brian P

It will fit, no worries about it. You should only worry if you are installing a cheap deck(jensen, dual, insignia, etc...), as they generally are longer than your normal decks.

They're all pretty similar. I use Metra kits, but I work at Best Buy, so they're what's there.. But I have seen worse, and better kits out there..

..I like the 9881, but the lack of Ai net controls will eliminate CD changer controls in the future, and if you get an iPod, your only real course of action would be a chinzy FM transmitter. Even the best of those sound like garbage, IMO. (I've been spoiled by hard wired iPod connections in my cars)

I'm not sure which alpine you are referring to. The CDE-9881 has an IPod connector (what Alpine calls Full Speed Connection for Ipod). It's a separate extra cost cable true, but they have one. In fact here is the webpage from Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8222489&st=cde-9881&type=product&id=1166840027190

I see your point about the AI-NET, but with an Ipod a cd changer is not something that particularly interests me.

Jennifer

Absolutely no problem: today I'm too weak to hit anyone (9 teeth removed this morning). Actually, it was good you said what you did, because it forced me to go off and check the manual and I now see that they say the only Ipods that it definitely works with are 4th gen and up, and we have 3rd gens (or in the case of my DH a first gen, which must almost have antique value by now). This means I may have to rethink this, or at least try and find a local dealer who has the unit set up with the connector so that my son can try it. You may, in fact, have saved me a lot of grief. So thank you. :smile:

Jennifer

Se if you can find an 'Open Item' CDA-9857. This is the deck I just got for my car, and I have a 3rd gen iPod. Works very well and sounds great. I tried hooking my iPod into a CDA-9885, and it wouldn't work. The deck just sat there for the half hour ad said 'Searching'.

The new iPod specific deck also doesn't like the 3rd gens. Partially because of the fact this deck uses a USB connection.

..Good luck in your search! The 9857, and any deck from that model run (The 9857 was the top of the line available in most retail stores) it will work with the iPod Full Speed connection.

Thank you for the heads up. It does look as if the 9857 (or possibly the 9856) is the way to go. Now all I've got to do is find one...

Jennifer

today I'm too weak to hit anyone (9 teeth removed this morning).

first off ouch!!!!!!!!

second personally i hate alpines but if thats what you want to put into the car have at it

Well, actually it's not my choice: this is my son's idea, bless him, he's paying for it, and you can't tell 18 year olds anything! Do you have a specific reason for disliking the Alpine? Because this is not turning into the easiest thing I've ever done.

Alpines are nice HU's, but you generally pay more for features that you will find on lesser priced Pioneer's. They are very clean looking, have very good controls, and have tons of capabilities and controls that most decks in those price ranges do not.

If he has the money to spend on it, go for it!

personally id go for a pioneer i think they produce a better quality sound

i just installed a DEH-P6900UB and i couldent be happier with my buy! and it just slipped right in no cutting modding or anything it was great and has an amazing sound

It's really all a matter of opinion. If he was going for all out sound quality, he would pick up an Eclipse HU, pick up several amplifiers that can accept 6V or higher input, and go to town. Thats a ton of money.

Really, at the price range they are looking at, they are most likely going to use the just the HU's speaker output. The difference you hear in different HU's using just the speaker level output are the built in EQ, power output, frequency ranges that they can play, and a few other things that 99% of people have no clue what it is.

I had a top of the line Pioneer and I wasn't satisfied with the sound quality. I have an Alpine and it sounds great. PLus the control I have over said sound is ver comprehensive based on what I paid for it.

But Sound is very relative. WHat I think sounds good in a Home Theater system (Vienna Acoustics FYI) may sound like crap compared to what someone else likes (Bose. Better sound through marketing FYI.)

Let's not put any ideas into his head shall we? :smile: As far as I understand it (but what do I know) he first wants to put in the Alpine HU, then add 2 sub-woofers plus an amp, plus new speakers. I'm a trifle concerned about the sub-woofers (my DD's an audio engineer and tells me that there is a potential for hearing loss, particularly in the enclosed space of a car). But again, as I said, I know little to nothing about this stuff. My concern is that the darn thing should fit without major hassle. Apart from anything else, I have to consider that it should be removable at some point in the future.

Jennifer

Yes, you may suffer from some hearing loss. The big thing though is to let him play his music to his liking, but tell him to do it responsibly. If he does it all the time(school parking lots, neighborhoods, in town, etc..) he can get in trouble with the law or even possibly get his stuff stolen. Explain to him that he will have a lot of money into this stuff, and that he shouldn't advertise it. Good places to listen to it loudly is your property(if it is big enough and not close neighbors), out in the country, and on the highway.

Now, as far as the subs are concerned, it all depends on how the box is built for the subs. If he just wants insanely loud, then it may not sound that great. But, if he is concerned about the Sound Quality, even at full listening level the subwoofer will only be there to add to the low end of the frequency range. Generally, subs are played at around 95 hz and lower, although you do have some people that play them at higher frequencies. Generally anything above 100hz or so is just a woofer, and not a subwoofer.

Anyways, enough rambling. Car audio is a hobby of mine, and I'm actually an installer as a part time job while i'm taking classes during the school year. Any questions, just lemme know.

x2 on Slick. I shut my shit off like five miles from home so no one knows I got the shit. Hell, a car got broken into a few nights ago, and the radio was gone. I was parked next to it with close to 200 bucks in the trunk (after my Best Buy discount, hehe) and my car was untouched.

If your looking for ease of installation you'll need at least 3 other things and the HU if your putting it in yourself??

its quiet simple

you'll need:

the installation kit to match your car

the plug adapter to match the car

and crimping tubes i think its a 22 guage?? could be wrong

with all this there is no need for cutting any wires and you can reinstall the factory HU when you wish to take the aftermarket one out

Yes, I'm puting it in myself. I think I also need an antenna adaptor. I put a HU in another child's Saturn, so I'm not an entire neophyte, but at least on that car, I had the added reassurance of a step by step guide and a HU that was "supposed" to fit. Maybe I'm being unfair, but it seems like everything on this Cutty has a slightly different twist, which is why a resource like this forum is so good.

Many thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Jennifer

If your looking for ease of installation you'll need at least 3 other things and the HU if your putting it in yourself??

its quiet simple

you'll need:

the installation kit to match your car

the plug adapter to match the car

and crimping tubes i think its a 22 guage?? could be wrong

with all this there is no need for cutting any wires and you can reinstall the factory HU when you wish to take the aftermarket one out

She already mentioned those in her very first post as needing them.

I have a follow up question. Has anyone connected an Ipod (3rd gen) to the ai-net ouput on an Alpine HU? Obviously it wouldn't be controllable from the HU, but I'm not so converned about that. What I'm thinking is that I could get an 9883 for the same price as a 9856, and attach the ipod to the aux, rather than using Alpine's ipod cable. However, I'm wondering if this option would also have a problem with the ipod being 3rd gen.

Jennifer

Yes, you can just plug it into the Auxilary input and use it that way. You will need an AI-net to RCA, then an RCA to headphone. You will have to control the Ipod by hand though.