95 Cutty and Alpine CDE-9881 Will this work?

jenniferpa

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jenniferpa

• slick

• Dirty Rockstar

• Brian P

THat is also a better option. THe sound will be slightly better over the standard headphone line out. plus that has provisions for charging. Better to ahve one cable coming out of your dash rather than a whole pile of them.

Can I have a slight moan? I purchased the Alpine 9883, the appropriate dash kit, antenna adapator and wiring harness. Having got all that, unsurprisingly I was eager to start the job so I checked the PAC site to find a local dealer in the hope I could get the connector I linked to above. Called the local dealer: do you have an ic-alpa? In stock? Yes. So off I go, 15 miles (the other side of the city) and get there and they hand me something enitrely different. What this say I? Oh this is the same thing. Are you sure: it allows me to plug an IPOD into an Alpine Ai-net? You know, where a changer would plug in? Oh yes, I tried it. It's more expensive than the PAC one, but oh well, I'm here now and a bird in the hand etc. Get it home: of course it's the wrong thing. Grrr. This was an Alpine dealer too. So, while Ace Electronics in Pittsburgh may do sterling work in the installation area, they're as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to knowing what fits with what.

Jennifer

OK. Now I have another question.

I purchased a wiring harness (Scosche GM035) which states on the label that it can be used for 95-97 Cutlass Supreme. However, on examining it, I'm a little surprised to find it has 2 connectors on it. Furthermore on checking the Scosche site I find that a)they don't even list this model, and B) the one they do list for this car (GM03) has only one connector (which is what I was expecting). Now I haven't taken the dash off yet, but I wondering what I can expect to find back there: do I really need 2 connectors to plug into the car's harness or is this connector totally wrong for this situation? Or alternatively is this one of those situations where they've tried to cover too many cars with one harness, so I'll be connecting only one of these plugs and the other will be left dangling?

Jennifer

I'm not familiar with the scosche harnesses, but here is my guess:

GM radios from 88 up to about 04 or so had four connectors for the radio. One wont be used at all on a lot of cars, as I believe this fourth connector is fro SWRC (Radio controls). So that leaves power, speakers channels, and illumination. I think the MEtra harness I have in my car has one big connector, so all four just line up in there. What Scosche could have done here is split the one, big connector into two, giving you two connections instead of one.

Can you post a picture of the harness just to make sure you have the right one?

Yup, that's the one. Having looked at it again (and again and again...) I think my last suppostion was the correct one: this connector can be used in cars that either have the 24 pin plus, or ones that have the 32 pin plug. I think it's trying to be all things to all men (and confusing me as an added bonus).

Thank you for the heads up. It does look as if the 9857 (or possibly the 9856) is the way to go. Now all I've got to do is find one...

Jennifer

I may have one of these in my clset for you inf you need it. I know its a Metra installation kit but it may be for 1999 and up GM vehicles. If its what you need you can have it for free.

Oh brother: this is turning into a nighmare and I haven't even got the dash off yet! New problem: the wiring harness has a black/white wire marked "aux shield ground" with nothing to match it to on the Alpine harness. What do I do with that? Also, anyone who's installed an Alpine HU: why do some of the wires (power antenna, illumination, amp turn on, audio interrupt lead) have crimp connectors on them?

Those four leads have crimps on the end most likely because they aren't always used, and there is less chance that they would short out to anything metal when shoved behind the receiver. If you do need to use the wire, cut the crimp off an use it, otherwise don't worry about it.

Have you already ran one ground wire from the car's factory harness to the Alpine receiver? If so, disregard the aux. ground - that's what I would do anyways.

You could PM Slick on here, or he might respond here since he's our resident installer!

Those four leads have crimps on the end most likely because they aren't always used, and there is less chance that they would short out to anything metal when shoved behind the receiver. If you do need to use the wire, cut the crimp off an use it, otherwise don't worry about it.

Well that seems entirely logical. Thank you.

Jennifer

The harness can be a pain to find, but if they list one for say, a '96-97 Buick Regal or Olds Cutlass, then that's the right one. Sometimes the '95 listing comes up with the wrong part, since some of the W-cars got the newer connector, while others (Grand Prix, Lumina) kept the old '88+ connector.

On the mounting kit subject, I bought mine from Circuit City, which has a built-in cubby hole instead of a big blank space below the radio. Just a thought but sounds like you already picked one up.

Yes, I have got a mounting kit with a cubbyhole under it. I'm beginning to think that I'm doing to leave it until my daughter gets home today: 1) she's sound recording major and knows much more about electronics than I do and 2) if I discover somethings missing I'll have another car to go and pick up the part, and don't have to put the cutty back together until it's finished.

Jennifer

Oh brother: this is turning into a nighmare and I haven't even got the dash off yet! New problem: the wiring harness has a black/white wire marked "aux shield ground" with nothing to match it to on the Alpine harness. What do I do with that? Also, anyone who's installed an Alpine HU: why do some of the wires (power antenna, illumination, amp turn on, audio interrupt lead) have crimp connectors on them?

Aux shield ground? Is this the alpine harness or the factory harness. If its the factory harness, ground it. Those other 4 wires usually get crimp caps if not used. Unless you have power antenna or amp's, your not gonna use them. And, using the illumination is generally worthless, I ALWAYS cap it(unless after I do the install, the tail lamps and dash lights don't work, then I know that the facotry illumination runs through the factory radio and requires the loop, then I usually have to figure out if it is + or - triggered, and go from there. You DO NOT have to worry about it in your car!).

Anyways, I think you may be making it harder than what it really is. Match up the colors from the Alpine harness to the harness that plugs into the oem plug. Fit the dash kit, and plug it all in.

Oh yes, I almost certainly am making it harder than it needs to be! Yes it is the factory harness that I'm, referring to (or rather the connector harness). I have another question that I almost hestitate to mention because it seems too stupid: the last time I did this (put an after-market HU in a car) I disconnected the battery, but in this car this does not seem so straightforward. If I disconnect the battery at whatever the post that is attached to the fuses is called, is that adequate? Or is this point out of the loop as it were? And if I don't do it there where do I do it?

Jennifer

You can do that if you want (At the Aux. Post), but as an installer, I've never disconnected a battery to install a radio. Theres no need to if you are just plugging into a harness.

Thanks Slick. Now for another problem (or is it?) I have remove the old radio and find that I have 3 harnesses back there. I'm trying to look on the bright side: at least the harnesses ARE still there. Does this mean this is a non-standard installation? If it's any help the radio has a label on it that says its a Delco Model 9183 (or alternatively model 16169183 - it has a bunch of stickers on it)

LOL!!! Don't worry, you will be fine! It's really pretty simple to do. Once your all done, your gonna laugh about how hard you are really making it out to be!

Sob. If this is the factory standard harness, why does it a) have 18 wires going into it when the connection harness only has 15 or 14 depending on if I'm looking at the 32 or 24 wire plug and B) which of these plugs should I be using or alternatively c) does this mean I have the wrong connection harness? There's a picture of the harness I have somewhere back in this thread (GM035).

Which harness is in the vehicle stock?

This one:

GM03RB.jpg

Or one very similar to this(the seperate little plug may be combined with the longer one)

GM02RB.jpg