Want to redo your rims? ;) 56k goto lunch

ihateallmustangs

Great job! BTW, I removed the clear coat from Ford Ranger wheels using CRC Brake Kleen. Spray on - wait and wipe before it dries.

• 10 months later...

sorry for reviving an old thread, but this was linked to in a recent one about rim cleaning...

My only question is, where do I get this aircraft stripper you were talking about

Great job and great information! I'll be trying this all on my wheels shortly. After the cleaning process I would think it would be wise to re-clearcoat them, any recomendations for a good clear coat? I've had trouble with some brands peeling up after a while, I think plasti-coat was the worst offender but can't remember for sure.

sorry for reviving an old thread, but this was linked to in a recent one about rim cleaning...

My only question is, where do I get this aircraft stripper you were talking about

Auto Parts stores.

Here is the stuff. I barely used a 1/4 of this stuff to do all 4 of my t/a rims. This stuff is the shit! I wouldn't bother with any other stuff.

I got it at a autobody supply store.

Picture060.jpg

Great job and great information! I'll be trying this all on my wheels shortly. After the cleaning process I would think it would be wise to re-clearcoat them, any recomendations for a good clear coat? I've had trouble with some brands peeling up after a while, I think plasti-coat was the worst offender but can't remember for sure.

I hate clear coat, which is why I went with polished aluminum. I put two coats of mothers polish and then a coating of turtle wax (green) to seal it up. Its been nearly a year with no problems. I can get these rims even shinyer depending on what grit I want to polish them down too. I was happy with the super fine steel wool (left a nice finish as you can see)

I would consider doing this to my white sawblades, as they are a little scuzzy in some areas.

My only concern is the black powdercoated sections of the inner-spoke holes. Without these areas black (and I've seen guys with everthing white) the wheels look really chintzy, almost like hubcaps.

So if I could sand, prep and polish the aluminum lips, repaint the centers white...could I then have a powdercoat done over top of the white paint in the proper areas?