Want to redo your rims? ;) 56k goto lunch

ihateallmustangs

Did this on my t/a today I suppose w-body guys could use the same methods. The car I got these rims on was heavily driven in the winter since 89' and was never washed.

Materials needed/price

Aircraft stripper (jug) $30

Cheapo paint brush $1

1 bag of very fine steel wool $2

plastic scraper $1.50

Masking tape ,free

rags,free

I wanted to save the gold centers as they clean up nice when washed. I did all this in my apartment buildings parking lot with no access to a hose. I brought out a bucket of water. Mask all areas off! Basicly you spread a coat of the air craft stripper and you immediatley start seeing the clear coat melt off. I used 2 coats to be safe. After that I washed the area off with a wet rag then scrapped the bubbled clear coat off. Most of the areas on my rims had corroded past the clear coat and heavily into the aluminum. From here on its polish away all bad areas with steel wool. This was no easy task. Two rims took me the better part of the afternoon and my hands are killing me lol. After you are finished ang get the desired amount of corrosion off wash ,dry and use mothers aluminum polish on the area. I did two coats!

Now for pics I vgot one side of the car done so its mixed front and rear pics

Before:

100_1643.jpg

100_1642.jpg

Now:

(stripping process)

100_1644.jpg

After a good polish:

100_1647.jpg

100_1646.jpg

100_1649-1.jpg

Nice work. I just did the same thing to my spare Bonneville xlaces I picked up a while back, but I also painted the centers on them black. The wheels I started with were not in bad shape, they just had a little clearcoat fade. It takes a long time for aluminum wheels to get in bad shape down here in the South.

That is awesome! Thanks for the info. I don't have those type of rims, but I wanted to polish the rims I do have. That aircraft cleaner stuff is just what I need!

Well the first two pics are the fronts before.

But heres another ,probably one of the rims with the worst damage.

Before:

100_1658.jpg

Now

100_1659.jpg

Did you do the gold part too, or no?

No the gold part is in good shape and the paint is by PPG and is very expensive. You cannot find a decent looking match up. I masked it off well.

No the gold part is in good shape and the paint is by PPG and is very expensive. You cannot find a decent looking match up. I masked it off well.

According to some here, the gold portion of crosslace wheels are actually powdercoated. That would explain why they hold up so well and are much more resistant to chipping than standard painted wheels.

According to some here, the gold portion of crosslace wheels are actually powdercoated. That would explain why they hold up so well and are much more resistant to chipping than standard painted wheels.

I got my info from the third gen guys so who knows!

"That looks amazing! I'll talk about it more at the meet. You better be coming"

I will definatley try to make it out!

You still never came out to London to goto the wreckers either!

All in good time ;) I am still up for that just been busy lately! On a side note its nice to add some car "turtle wax" (green tub) onto the alumium surface as a sealer. This is optional you can also use caribou wax or anything that suits you best.

This is optional you can also use caribou wax or anything that suits you best.

:lol: Carnauba Wax

Yeah figured it wasent caribu wax lol.. but for some reason I remember reading caribu lol.

I wonder if you can do that to the five spokes to make them hi-po... that would be cool. I guess ill test that this weekend on my fullsize spare