New headlight idea...UPDATE:Mock-up pics what it would look like Pg4

Scottster

Well, I've done it to myself again...another idea :willynilly:

Obviously one of the things that identifies a car as being 'old' is the dated headlight lenses. I kept saying to myself 'I wish there were newer style headlights to replace those dated looking ones'.

Alot of imports have custom aftermarket headlights...which most of the time look silly, but some are tastefull.

So anyway, I kept brainstorming what "jeweled/clear-lensed" headlights from a newer vehicle have the same shape as the 88-90 GP?

And then the clouds parted and beam of light came down from the heavens...

Eureka! A Saturn Vue!

keep in mind I just thought this up, so everything could go out the window when I actually realize they won't fit... but for the time being... what do you guys think?

Compare the shape and angle of the lights...

saturnvue.jpg

saturn.jpg

with the  pontiacs...

grandprix001.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottster

• slick

• Addicted To Boost

• dohc v6

ya know, they do look really similar, but I don't think it would work without some major fabbing. The Vue's look just a little bit wider than the GP's do. But I dunno!

well the biggest probs that i see is that the mounting is completely different and where the lights meet the fenders you will prolly run into alot of probs

It could work, but some extensive modification would be needed.. If I were in your shoes, I would either sand and polish your current lenses (If they're plastic) or make molds and vacuum form a new set with Lexan MR12.. One of these 2 options, or a mix of both are my intention for the HIDs I am builing for the Lumina project..

make molds and vacuum form a new set with Lexan MR12...

If someone were to actually do this, this would make an awesome group buy....

Im building a table right now.. If I can get 10 requests for each style of composite lamps available on WBodies, I might make them. Not sure what I'd charge.. MR12 Lexan is proving elusive..

Im building a table right now.. If I can get 10 requests for each style of composite lamps available on WBodies, I might make them. Not sure what I'd charge.. MR12 Lexan is proving elusive..

I'd most likely be in for a set for the TGP, but I'd like to see what a set would look like first...

I'd most likely be in for a set for the TGP, but I'd like to see what a set would look like first...

Most definitely.. Id showcase my set I am making for the Lumina.. I wouldn't offer them up until they look perfect and mate to the lights properly.. IF I can get the car drivable by the 7/7/07 meet, I might have the lights ready to go as well..

Awesome- keep us posted! If you could possibly do a set to replace the plastic fogs on the TGP, that would be REALLY awesome :cool:

Awesome- keep us posted! If you could possibly do a set to replace the plastic fogs on the TGP, that would be REALLY awesome :cool:

I prolly could.. As long as I could make back what I spend on the table supplies and the Lexan, Id be okay with that.. If I make some money, bonus! :cool:

Well, I am pretty sufficent at vacuum forming, with all of the model building I have done for school.

If I were to put a clear lens on the existing headlight housing, the light would not dispersed properly though. The saturns headlights for example are reflective optic, and rely on the light being rebounded off of the rear of the housing. It is the prism-like angles in the glass that aim the light on the older style lights.

If I were to put a clear lens on the existing headlight housing, the light would not dispersed properly though. The saturns headlights for example are reflective optic, and rely on the light being rebounded off of the rear of the housing. It is the prism-like angles in the glass that aim the light on the older style lights.

which sucks. because i too want clear headlight lenses, and a projector install is a PITA and I've heard too many ticket stories.

I went to the Saturn dealer today to measure the Vue's headlights. There was only one with those style lights on the used lot, as the later models have more curvature to them.

It was almost like a blizzard out there, and I was only equiped with a tape measure, but I got some preliminary measurements.

I measured mine first, length wise and bottom edge to top edge. Then I measured the saturns...

They were nearly identical! The Saturns were a 1/2 inch taller, and about an inch LESS in length/width (from the gap between the fender mounted parking light to the inner edge of the light).

The angle at which they rake back is nearly identical, although the Pontiac's "nose" (beween the lights) curves back outwards as it sweeps up into the hood, where as the Vue has a more square "nose", with a nearly straight line from the top corner to the bottom corner of the light.

I know it will take a little more measurement (in nicer weather!....wasn't it almost 80 degrees a couple of weeks ago??!!), but I am really stoked that this could work out quite well.

The biggest obstacle, regardless of installation, is the price of the damn lights. They are over $200 new, and moreover the vehicle is so new that there is a fat chance of finding on in a junk yard...without collision damage and smashed lights!

But at least my initial idea is still on track. They do look like a good fit, with a little fabrication to mount them of course.

Can we get someone with photoshop skills in the house please.

LOL I'm on that program everyday at school! I could pound something out Monday.

YES DO IT!

Also you should get msn, aim or something to talk online instead of pm's too!

Yeah, that's what all my buddies keep telling me. I'm still holding out...