LQ1 Vaccum Lines... HELP!!!! With pics and some foul language!!!!

BXX

Alrighty then.. My HVAC hasn't been working since I bought the car. It had been swapped from a 5-speed to an auto... It also idles rough and won't rev past 4200rpm under full throttle, it just misses bad and puffs black smoke.. BTW, MAP is new, si it's a vacuum line issue.. I have the upper intake off right now and will take pics of the mess that I am talking about.. Does anyone know exactly how the vacuum lines run and or have a full blown diagram of the lines, not just the label under the hood.. That doesn't help out too much...

there was one posted a while back, but i dont think it was much more than whats under the hood :-/ I ended up taking a good look at one at a JY and getting what I needed and fixing my messed up line that way. good luck man, vaccuum leaks/problems suck

Black I have a book for CS at work that IIRC covers the LQ1. It may have the diagram, but who knows how good it is. I will look when I am there later today and let you know what I find.

Why does this seem to be a common picture??? :lol:

DSCF0207.jpg

NOTE: THE CRUISE CONTROL WAS REMOVED SO I COULD GET A BETTER VIEW OF EVERYTHING...

Why are those there on the ABS Unit??? Take them off and its nothing more than bleeder screws, or at least that is the way it looks..

DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0211.jpg

The one of those lines also runs to the bottom of this little metal pipe doohicky....WTF???

DSCF0212.jpg

Oh yeah, looky what I found undone however... It now has a hose clamp on it.. Couln't see it until I had the plenum off...

DSCF0216.jpg

DSCF0215.jpg

Pulled this off, and what do I notice, the lack of coolant coming out... It was nice and dry.. Funny thing is, this thing never overheated... :eek:

DSCF0217.jpg

Also, what the hell does this line go to??? The car was a factory 5-speed, so maybe for the clutch master cylinder???

DSCF0208.jpg

DSCF0214.jpg

BTW, I could pull the 2.8L plenum on the GP in 1/3rd of the time I could the LQ1... Fuck this engine and it's retarded ass intake plenum that takes 25 minutes and vacuum line system that is a mess :evil:... The line at the bulb was fine BTW...

I started the car up, and what do I know, idle is a bit better, the heater now changes settings, still unsure about the hot and cold though as I didn't give it enough time to warm up.. I just bled the system a bit and called it quits for now... I accomplished what I wanted to, that was enough...

BTW, after much though... Yeah, fuck the LQ1.. I'll take my 2.8L anyday.... The LQ1 is prolly only gonna see 3 more weeks in the Z34... After that, it's coming out for a L67....

I can post pics later if you want me to of vacuum routing.

That would be cool. I would like to torture this thing until I get reaady for a engine swap, but misfiring to all hell at 4200rpm is FTL!!!

Thanks tons... Hopefully this all fixed my vacuum line issues that arre serious, the heater setting now change which is good... Maybe I can now actually use my 6500rpm redline..

Another things, what the hell are these lines??? One coming off the ABS unit goes throught the firewall, and the other goes to that metal tube doohicky..... Any idea on that crap... I have a ABS and Brake light on, but I don't ever remember GM ABS units having random vacuum lines attatched to them...

editline2.jpg

editline3.jpg

And is this line that goes throught the firewall from the old clutch master cylinder???

Editline.jpg

The first lines. There shouldn't be anything on there. Someone put those lines there they are not factory.

As for the pipe that is OEM, some cars got it I think its a breather line for the 5speeds? Only some cars got that.

The last one is the kick down cable for the trans IIRC. Just follow where it runs too.

I'm really skeptical that your car was a 5speed.

Have you checked the RPO's? Have you had the dealer print a page with all the stuff the car has?

Was a factory 5-speed. I remember seeing and almost buying this car a t a dealer 2 years ago, when it had a rod knocking and missing a couple gears.. Dealer verified through VIN/RPO that is was a 5-speed. AIR system is still there, well partially, has small brake pedal and old clutch pedal assembly BROKEN off :willynilly: And of course the depress button on the key and I can see the old shift cable that is cut...

And the last pic, not the detent, the cut vacuum hose that goes throught the firewall and should go to something... What it is???

Vent tube, ok, sounds goofy but whatever... Yeah, I thought those lines going to the ABS were just connected by someone since they thought they went somewhere...

Kinda off topic, Z34, factory manual windows and door locks, so it makes sense it was a 5-speed... But Delco-Bose audio??? WTF??

I've owned two 5speed cars. My first one was loaded with cd player. The one I have now is bose. Kyles car used(or may still) not have a rear defroster. I've seen others like that too. I've never seen a Z34 with manual windows/locks, but who knows some of the 5speeds were ordered wierd.

It seems like your car was thoroughly molested (and not fixed right).

The only other vacuum lines that I know of that go thru the firewall are for cruise control, but I know at least 93' and up don't use that type of system. On the type of system I am speaking of, the vacuum line goes thru the firewall, and is attached to a switch on the prake pedal that vents all the vacuum from the cruise control diaphram when you brake. Its an early gm system, but I'm not sure how early. Maybe only 5 speed cars had it? I've never had the opportunity to inspect a 5speed W.

Well from looking at my GP which is a 5-speed, the clutch master cylinder has a line from it going into the firewall, or at least under the insulation, and goes to the slave cylinder somewhere, so I'm pretty sure that is what the hose is on the Z34... I'll have to snap a pic of it on my GP tomorrow or sometime..

Yeah, manual door locks, manual windows, Bose audio, 5-spped Z34.. Kinda odd.. But it is very true.. It does have rear defroster though....Yeah, it was molested as in they screwed up the vacuum lines when swapping in the engine/trans from the donor car, The harness is auto specific though as well as the ECM.. Hell, the torque converter locks up just fine... I actually remember the red Z34 donor which was totalled in the rear. SO I know where the parts came from.... It's just the vacuum lines were screwed and all seems to be fixed now by me now...

The cruise vacuum lines run down under a bit more.. I already checked those... It's from the brake switch to disengage the cruise and it's hooked up...

I'm still not sure why I am correcting the things with this car, it's all about to come out in 3 weeks for the L67 :lol: Meh, i'll just see if I can't pop the LQ1 in the time being... :burnout:

The only other vacuum lines that I know of that go thru the firewall are for cruise control, but I know at least 93' and up don't use that type of system. On the type of system I am speaking of, the vacuum line goes thru the firewall, and is attached to a switch on the prake pedal that vents all the vacuum from the cruise control diaphram when you brake. Its an early gm system, but I'm not sure how early. Maybe only 5 speed cars had it? I've never had the opportunity to inspect a 5speed W.

All W's had the same cruise system to '94.

Well from looking at my GP which is a 5-speed, the clutch master cylinder has a line from it going into the firewall, or at least under the insulation, and goes to the slave cylinder somewhere, so I'm pretty sure that is what the hose is on the Z34... I'll have to snap a pic of it on my GP tomorrow or sometime..

Yeah, manual door locks, manual windows, Bose audio, 5-spped Z34.. Kinda odd.. But it is very true.. It does have rear defroster though....Yeah, it was molested as in they screwed up the vacuum lines when swapping in the engine/trans from the donor car, The harness is auto specific though as well as the ECM.. Hell, the torque converter locks up just fine... I actually remember the red Z34 donor which was totalled in the rear. SO I know where the parts came from.... It's just the vacuum lines were screwed and all seems to be fixed now by me now...

The cruise vacuum lines run down under a bit more.. I already checked those... It's from the brake switch to disengage the cruise and it's hooked up...

I'm still not sure why I am correcting the things with this car, it's all about to come out in 3 weeks for the L67 :lol: Meh, i'll just see if I can't pop the LQ1 in the time being... :burnout:

The clutch system on a 284 is completely different from a 282 so there is no rob like the 282 to push the system.

Like I said that cable is for the auto transmission kick down, look at another W if you don't believe me.

QUIT LOOKING AT THE FUCKIN CABLE!!!! IGNORE THE CABLE!!!! LOOK AT THE DAMN HOSE ABOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what I have been talking about... I said it about 3 times already!!!!

Look at the cut hose in the circle!!! Quit looking at the cable... I am talking about that hose. That is for the clutch master cylinder, correct???

Damn dude, are you drunk??? I feel like I am talking to a damn 18 year old punk who is clueless... Or either you just never had much luck finding Waldo....

Here, so you can find the cut hose inside the circle easier.... I know it's tough to look for a cut hose that lies inside a circle...

Hose.jpg

Calm down, or I won't help you.

It might go to the clutch, but I'm really not sure, there is alot of stuff crammed in there by the strut tower.

Best thing to do is to trace it back.

Calm down, or I won't help you.

It might go to the clutch, but I'm really not sure, there is alot of stuff crammed in there by the strut tower.

Best thing to do is to trace it back.

Trace it back, seriously, there is an LQ1 under the hood.. Wold you think you could trace it :lol: Ill take the pic of the GP's clutch master cylinder...

5 speed cars are supposed to have 2 vacume dump hoses. One coming off the clutch pedal, and the other coming off the brake pedal. I see 3 extra vacume hoses, and one supply hose. 3 of those 4 lines are going to be cruise related.

The reason they have the 2 lines for vacume dump, it would really suck to go press your clutch pedal in, and have the cruise blow your motor.

The reason they have the 2 lines for vacume dump, it would really suck to go press your clutch pedal in, and have the cruise blow your motor.

That's why you have rev limiter right?

As far as I know, the rev limiter only works below a certain speed. Beyond that speed, you can redline to your hearts content.

As far as I know, the rev limiter only works below a certain speed. Beyond that speed, you can redline to your hearts content.

That's only for autos.

Manuals can free rev in neutral while autos can't.