1990 Regal 3.1 acceleration problem.

Hippie

Here's a good one for you, my '90 3.1 Regal will randomly lay down when accelerating from a stop light, etc.. Usually somehwere after you hit 30 MPH it just drops to idle speed. Sometimes it takes off again, sometimes it dies. If you put it in neutral after it dies and hit the key it pops right off and is usually fine although sometimes it will do it again at the next stoplight then after that it's usually OK until you shut the car off and start again. It has thrown an EGR code a couple times but not all the time. We suspect the EGR but aren't positive, of course mine is a "T" engine code so it takes the $$$$ valve so I don't want to swap valves and have that not fix it. It was doing this and a bunch of other weird crap like surging and dying at stop lights, etc. before replacing the fuel pump, the other stuff stopped after the new pump was in, this didn't and it seems to get worse as the weather gets warmer. Anybody run into this before? I'm ready to call in a priest to either perform an exorcism or last rites. :mad: TIA

well for the EGR, try just cleaning the ports. The EGR doesnt really go bad, its just the ports get clogged with carbon. Have you changed the fuel filter when you did the fuel pump?

bleed filter. I had the same problem. Airtex has them for like $9 on rockauto.com . Removing the old one is a pain but it shouldn't be too bad.

well for the EGR, try just cleaning the ports. The EGR doesnt really go bad, its just the ports get clogged with carbon. Have you changed the fuel filter when you did the fuel pump?

Anything with 3 solenoids that costs $200 plus WILL go bad and at the worst possible moment! Just ask NASA. :wink: I changed the fuel filter 3,000 miles before the fuel pump went out and changed it again after I changed the pump. It's not cutting out, missing or running rough, it's just like somebody cranked the TPS back to zero except the TPS tests good and when it comes back on wherever you have the accelerator is where the egine comes back at. If you have your foot flat on the floor it comes back at WFO, halway down then half throttle. Made it home last night without any issues. I'm going to try douching out the EGR this weekend. IF I get it fingered out I'll let ya' know. Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you clean the EGR ports that run to the intake plenum while it was all apart? If I didn't, I HIGHLY recommend pulling it back off and doing so. It'll run a bit smoother.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you clean the EGR ports that run to the intake plenum while it was all apart? If I didn't, I HIGHLY recommend pulling it back off and doing so. It'll run a bit smoother.

EGR wasn't carboned iup and ports were clean. It runs smooth as silk now but still falls on it's face occasionally usually when giving it over half throttle OR right after starting it up and it isn't throwing any codes. It always does the part throttle thing at the worst possible time. If there is no other trafific you can't make it do it but get in a pack of rush hour A holes and it's almost guaranteed. :mad:

Check all your sensors, like the TP ensor mainly, you may have a short in one of your 5 volt refernece wires, or an intermittant connection somewhere.

Yeah, I guess if I'm going to keep it I'm going to have to get in there and start checking wire by wire. If the parking lot at work wasn't a war zone and it didn't run so good when it does run I'd junk it but it looks so bad nobody messes with it and if somebody did door ding it you wouldn't see it for all the others. I think they're afraid of getting tetanus off it because most people give it lots of room when they walk by it............. Perfect work car for me.

• 1 month later...

Think we may have finally found it, intermittent failure on one of the injectors. It showed a very low reading but still worked, under certain load conditions it will cut out basically shutting the engine down but not completely killing it, also had two others that were weak but not as bad as this one. Will get the injectors replaced and see what happens.