Help!!! Car won't go anywhere, like the brakes are locked up. Trans prob?

kadeas

2 door '95 GP SE 3100....Awhile back I went out and started my car and when I put it in rev. in wouldn't go anywhere. I then put it in park and back in rev. and it took off. It did this for two days and then it started not going anywhere in drive. If I put the car in nutral you can't even push it forward or backwards, like the brakes are locked up, but they arn't. If you put it in any gear and give it gas it dosn't move at all, but the trans dosn't slip, it's like it's bogged down, kind of like your trying to power brake it. I tried it today and after putting it in and out of gear about 50 times I finally got it to go forward, I drove it about 10 feet, put it in rev and backed up about 10 feet, then put it in park and back in drive and it won't go again! Anyone have any ideas what this is? I checked the trans fluid, it was about a half quart low so I topped it off, no help...

have you used your PKB lately? otherwise i'd say your ABS solenoids may be holding pressure

x2 if thats not it. if your BAT light is on it might be your Alternator my 96 saturn did the same thing but the frist time it did. it did it on the street!!! it was bad almost got hit. :willynilly:

No, it's not the brakes, I checked. It does try to go....Car runs fine btw....If I start it and put it in drive I can feel it kick into gear, but when you give it gas it won't move, but the engine boggs down like it's trying to go...The rpms don't rev up real high like the tranny's slipping either. I did have a problem with the torque converter a couple years back, it was locked up, It caused the car to jurk when I would go to stop, like it was a standerd and not pushing in the clutch before stopping.

No, it's not the brakes, I checked. It does try to go....Car runs fine btw....If I start it and put it in drive I can feel it kick into gear, but when you give it gas it won't move, but the engine boggs down like it's trying to go...The rpms don't rev up real high like the tranny's slipping either. I did have a problem with the torque converter a couple years back, it was locked up, It caused the car to jurk when I would go to stop, like it was a standerd and not pushing in the clutch before stopping.

could the tranny parking pawl have busted loose?

on level ground if you were to rock the car do you get the typical 'acceptable margin of movement' that a car normally get while in park? have a assistant operate the vehicle, so he/she can hold the vehcile in drive (and thus be able to prevent it from running away from you) while you physically rock the car by hard to see if it it dinging internal of the transmission.

could the tranny parking pawl have busted loose?

on level ground if you were to rock the car do you get the typical 'acceptable margin of movement' that a car normally get while in park? have a assistant operate the vehicle, so he/she can hold the vehcile in drive (and thus be able to prevent it from running away from you) while you physically rock the car by hard to see if it it dinging internal of the transmission.

What's the parking pawl? The car does rock back and forth while in park, it does in neutral also but I can't get the car to roll anywhere in neutral. I had 4 people pushing on the car and the back wheels turn but the front would just skid across the gravel.

The shift cable broke on the car about a month before I had this problem, but I replaced that.

sounds like a combination of sticking brakes and a tranny issue. If there wasnt a tranny issue it should at least try to go. Maybe torque convertor :mrgreen:

How do I check torque converter?

What's the parking pawl? The car does rock back and forth while in park, it does in neutral also but I can't get the car to roll anywhere in neutral. I had 4 people pushing on the car and the back wheels turn but the front would just skid across the gravel.

The shift cable broke on the car about a month before I had this problem, but I replaced that.

the parking pawl is an internal transmission part, it is a rod that moves and engages with a tooth gear on the differential. it prevents movement of the transmission, if it broke or came loose it could be stuck in the applied position.

I suspect that the new cable broke, came loose, or slipped its adjustment. verify that the shift lever on the tranny is moving when you shift in the car.

could very well be the parking pawl. Has someone ever thrown it in park while it was moving. And i so wish i could say it is the back brakes lol. Someone explain hw to check a torque convertor. Check the fluid in the tranny and see if it is scorched. when you rock it in park it clicks from the parking pawl right? and does it do the same in gear. I havent really seen this kind of prob yet. The best of luck to you though

could very well be the parking pawl. Has someone ever thrown it in park while it was moving. And i so wish i could say it is the back brakes lol. Someone explain hw to check a torque convertor. Check the fluid in the tranny and see if it is scorched. when you rock it in park it clicks from the parking pawl right? and does it do the same in gear. I havent really seen this kind of prob yet. The best of luck to you though

I don't think anyone has put it in park while moving, at least I hope not! I did get the car to go the other day after putting it in park and drive about 50 times, so if the parking pawl was bad would it intermitentley work?

it could possibly be an intermittent issue, it depends on where the pin hits. another thing that could damage the pawl is when you park on a steep hill and dont use the pkb

I didn't notice any clicking noise while rocking it.

did you rock it in park and in drive? see if a click it present in park. Have you tried rocking it all gears, all the way to manual 1st gear?

Here's what you should do... raise both front wheels using quality jacks and jackstands etc etc. SAFTY FIRST! keep aware that the car will be unstable if cheap scissor jacks are used especially. car off. try spining one tire. see if the other spins the opposite way. next put the car in neutral, engine off. try spinning one tire again and see if the other tire spins. now have a friend stop that tire from turning and see if the differential turns instead, as it should. observations?

Torque converter clutch switch failed and burned up the rest of the tranny internals. Probably took a clutch and the TC with it. Same thing happened to our 4T65E in the Montana. I'll almost guarantee it.

I had a tranny line pop off, burned up all the internals on the on ramp to I75. check all your lines, fluid, etc, but it sounds like it's a possibility you may have fried something

I didn't notice any clicking noise while rocking it.

did you rock it in park and in drive? see if a click it present in park. Have you tried rocking it all gears, all the way to manual 1st gear?

Here's what you should do... raise both front wheels using quality jacks and jackstands etc etc. SAFTY FIRST! keep aware that the car will be unstable if cheap scissor jacks are used especially. car off. try spining one tire. see if the other spins the opposite way. next put the car in neutral, engine off. try spinning one tire again and see if the other tire spins. now have a friend stop that tire from turning and see if the differential turns instead, as it should. observations?

Ok, I pushed the car in park, motor off, no click and the motor was rocking back and forth, and I couldn't move the car any. In rev. it did the same, in neutral the same, like it was in park. In drive, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st I was able to push the car like it was in neutral! What's up with that? Is the linkage out of adjustment or something?

could be. I had the linkage pop loose after working on the neutral saftey switch... Especially since you replced the cable! look boht by the shifter and under the hood. one of the ends where the cables ends are held stationary could be stuclk.

don't forget my suggestion of try this with the car raised.

could be. I had the linkage pop loose after working on the neutral saftey switch... Especially since you replced the cable! look boht by the shifter and under the hood. one of the ends where the cables ends are held stationary could be stuclk.

don't forget my suggestion of try this with the car raised.

If the shift cable came loose though it wouldn't matter what gear it was in, it would do the same in all gears right?

When it warms up this weekend I'll try jacking it up and doing what you said. What am I looking for?