2nd Gen GP 12" Brake Upgrade Info

terryk2003

yup...just as i asked...does the intrigue have 12" brakes up front!?...i know the monte carlo & impala do, but not sure about the intrigue...i "THINK" it does...someone give me a FO SHO answer please...i'm trying to figure out what cars i can rape for some front caliper brackets for my upgrade...if the intrigue has the right size brakes, i might just have to rob irondogs house... :lol:

Here's a Write-Up for the 12" upgrade: http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/mods.asp?modid=3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terryk2003

• Andrew

• 99RegalGS

• 5speedz34

so wait... monte's and impala's have 12" brakes? is it a simple thing to swap to, just caliper brackets ?? do they use different calipers or are they the same??

this is the first ive heard of this. please fill me in.

What's stock on the GP's?

either 10 or 11" ...and, WHERE THE HELL IS ROB!?...i've been waiting for him to chime in...thats why i put INTRIGUE in the thread title! :willynilly:

Probably doing important stuff like building a nursery for his kid, lol.

either 10 or 11" ...and, WHERE THE HELL IS ROB!?...i've been waiting for him to chime in...thats why i put INTRIGUE in the thread title! :willynilly:

Probably doing important stuff like building a nursery for his kid, lol.

pfft...whats so important about that!?...the kid isnt even born yet!...he should worry about important things like Terrys questions! :lol:

10.9"

All you need to do the 12" brake conversion are the caliper brackets (from the autobahn intrigues or from the 00+ MC and Impala) and the 12" rotors.

So basically the same thing i see for sale on sites, which they add like $100 for. sweet! ive been planning on going J/Y hoppin in the near future, i just added one more thing to my list. :biggrin:

are the rear brakes any different?

10.9"

All you need to do the 12" brake conversion are the caliper brackets (from the autobahn intrigues or from the 00+ MC and Impala) and the 12" rotors.

So basically the same thing i see for sale on sites, which they add like $100 for. sweet! ive been planning on going J/Y hoppin in the near future, i just added one more thing to my list. :biggrin:

are the rear brakes any different?

you gotta use your stock rears...which, the rears dont do much @ all anywayz, so the stockers are fine...

The rear brakes are the same on all 2nd gens.

And the rear brakes still do a significant amount of work. It's not like they just stuck them back there for looks. lol

I plan on upgrading to 12" rear brakes sometime here...

Yes they make a heavy duty set of front rotors ans an option for Intrigues, however the pads are the same size ?!?!?!?! The only reason I could forsee the bigger rotors being an advantage rather than unsprung increased mass (which is bad for 1/4 mile times) is quicker heat dissapation. You can also get these cross drilled and slotted. Sorry I was slow slow responding...

The big reason why it's better to have larger rotors is the greater leverage action the now further out pads are, and more surface area per revolution.

I've read that the 12" upgrade does make a noticeable difference in braking power.

Yes they make a heavy duty set of front rotors ans an option for Intrigues, however the pads are the same size ?!?!?!?! The only reason I could forsee the bigger rotors being an advantage rather than unsprung increased mass (which is bad for 1/4 mile times) is quicker heat dissapation. You can also get these cross drilled and slotted. Sorry I was slow slow responding...

yeah...i basically am wanting ot get slotted/crossdrilled rotors...and i also figured the larger rotors would help me out...BTW: you happen to have a set of caliper brackets i could buy from ya?...maybe from a parts car or something!?

anyone have a part# for those brackets? i was tryin to look it up on gmpartsdirect but couldnt find it. i was just curious to see how much they would be new.

GM PART # 12498646

CATEGORY: Brake Pads and Shoes

PACK QTY: 1

CORE CHARGE: $0.00

GM LIST: $125.00

OUR PRICE: $91.00

DESCRIPTION: BRAKE BRACKET KIT (for heavy duty rotors only)

For use on 1999-2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo; 2000-2002 Chevrolet Impala; 1997-2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. This kit includes front brake brackets P/N 18029829, bushings P/N 18024959, and pins P/N 18046666. The same front brake caliper brackets, bushings, and pins are in kit 12498644. Rotors equivalent to kit 12498647 must be used with this kit.