Useful info on trim pieces for gen II owners and 99+ G body owners

IRONDOG442

I am assuming that the 97+ Regal, Impala, and Grand Prix have the same finish on the steel reveal molding panels that go over B-pillar and window trim as Intrigues. I know that the Alero and Grand Ams are prone to this issue as well. I used to do this to Cutlass Convertible windsheild frames all the time and B pillars as well because the metal is some kind of pop metal/aluminum that is prone to corroding and the paint did not bond molecularly very well to this type of metal. Please note that the the Cutlass 'vert trim pieces are not this same color, I can look that up for you if you need info on this repair as well.

I did this on an Alero B-pillar today and it looks 100 % factory. This piece was actually recalled due to early corrosion and poor finish but this car obviously was not taken back to the service center for this particular recall. Of course I forgot to take before Pictures But I assure you it looked terrible if I removed them for this purpose.

1. Removal is a cinch there are 2-3 screws behind the rubber seal that come out and you need to pull the thing off the side of the door or b-pillar.

2. Sand with 180 or more grit fine sand paper, rough up the finish in vertical passes to acheive factory appearance.

3. Prime with a good Automotive grade primer, I used Krylon Rough Tough Primer that was rust colored.

4. Remove any plastic trim pieces.

5. Buy Krylon Rust Tough Enamel (SEMI FLAT) or RTA 9203 Semi Flat Black Spray Paint.

6. Evenly lay two coats on and bake if possible before reinstallation.

7. Reinstall.

8. Enjoy that SUGAR POP!!

This matches the other factory painted piece on the car exactly that is next to it.

PS. If you can do this on company time :thumb:

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.