G-Stop brake lines *Installed*

krtkohbain27

• 5 months later...

Bumping topic vs making a new one about this...

I received my brake lines for my 96 GP today from Tirerack... however they look a bit different than the ones in the pic earlier in this thread.

My ends for the front brakes (the circle type ends) are screw in, vs the picture earlier obviousely came with them together since the circle ends had red plugs in them.

I also only have 2 of the screw things, shouldn't there be 4 or only 2?

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Those ones are the correct ones for your application. Goodridge makes two style of lines. One for '93 and older and one for '94 and newer ( dont quote me on those years though, but theres still two styles )

That does not look right for a 96 model.

All 4 calipers require a banjo fitting and the factory rear lines have a compound bend at the caliper.

Those do have Banjo fittings... the rears appear to have the banjo built in but the fronts I am supposed to screw on :eek:

They thread in just fine but how are they supposed to seal there? It didn't come with any threadlock or anything.

Edit - I just went out and looked, stock the brakes use a "block style" banjo fitting, and these have "regular style" fittings. Does it really matter?

Also how exactly do these connect to the stock hard line? It sort of looks like a screw off/on deal, but I see nothing for seals, and these clip things that came with the lines have no home!

Yes these are OE replacements, and yes Tirerack, ebay, etc has them.

Tirerack was like $2 cheaper than the cheapest ebay store I could find. They are about $115 shipped.

You just gotta ensure they come with the right fittings since some people have had issues getting different fittings on their lines. That is what I am trying to do right now.

Can anyone confirm my picture is correct for my 96? :redface:

It seems stupid to have to loctite the front banjo's on since they just screw on. I am afraid with the brake line twisting and stuff from turning the wheel that it will start to come unscrewed and leak.

Yours look different from mine. My packing said for 91-93 Regals though. Would there be any difference from these?

Ok if swapping to the new 96's assembly's, are there any difference from the brakelines?

I think I have read that the fittings differ throughout the years. I think maybe Dave(Invasion1) mentioned this maybe?

I don't know about fittings, but I can tell you rear brake lines from a 92 cutlass will not go onto an 88 cutlass unless you move the mounting point. They are MUCH shorter and will NOT reach.

Well im going 92 to 94+ so hopefully it will still work.

They should. The pic you posted looks exactly like the ones I have. I think I'm just going to re-mount them and use them. We'll see how that works, and if not, I'll have to get some made up or buy some new ones

• 10 months later...

BUMP for a new question on this topic:

Trying to install these on my 90 Lumina, part 12264. What's the best way to putt these on without hitting any struts or tires?

Trying to install these on my 90 Lumina, part 12264. What's the best way to putt these on without hitting any struts or tires?

i went with zip ties

Depending on exactly how it was done--zip ties (tyraps) are probably a VERY bad idea.

A steel-braided hose will act like a dull hack-saw on anything it rubs against. If it can move in the tyrap, it will auger itself or the part it's secured to--or both. When the steel braid wears through, the hose ruptures. That is less than optimum.

The second issue is "bend radius". Steel-braid-over-teflon liner hoses are VERY sensitive to how tightly you bend them. At some point as you bend them more sharply, the inner Teflon liner will kink. Might not leak (right away), and it may not LOOK bad from the outside. Inside, the hose will be severely restricted. This is PERMANENT damage, it doesn't go away when the hose relaxes.

So, if the tyrap causes the hose to bend more tightly than it was designed for...you just ruined the hose.

As for me, if I can't route the hose so it CANNOT chafe against "something"--and proper routing is certainly the first choice--I cover it with a piece of rubber hose, and then secure the rubber hose with tyraps. Then the hose can rub all day and twice on weekends--and it's just the outer, sacrificial rubber hose that gets worn.