oh noes! another hid question

pwmin

DO NOT USE THAT PROJECTOR. It first off will not give you enought light out put needed. you will probably run into things. Fog lights and driving light are not the same. Fog light have a yellow bulb in them for driving the fog. This way it cuts through but does not go very far. Driving lights are used for highway use when you need a little more light. these go much further down the road and are very bright. As far as doing this the right way, you really need to get some good projectors and a good hid kit. Miine are amazing. Look at the post here.http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,46366.30.html.

I really can help you get a good light out put. Just let me know what you want to do.

I was only saying he could pick up a pair from me if he was interested in some fog projectors. I would never sell them to a person whose intent was for driving lights.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pwmin

• GnatGoSplat

• dohc v6

• slick

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving lights don't have the right beam pattern for low beams either. Driving lights are supposed to supplement high beams and are designed only to be used when there is no oncoming traffic.

A projector retrofit is the best way to go, but you'll still be better off just sticking 9006 HID bulbs into the existing low beams rather than retrofitting fog or driving lights in their place.

Yeah i would say the same, only thing is you really might want to do the projector retrofit becuase if there is to much glare you WILL get a ticket I dont care where you live. also you can pick up a full set from a bmw from e-bay for around 250$. thats the price of an hid kit its self

• 5 weeks later...

okay, i looked into some tt a4 projectors and found a set from an a4 on ebay. i emailed them to confirm the size. however, they use H7 bulbs. it appears that they are 2-wire low-beam bulbs. would i just need to change my wiring harness or is there something else i would need to do? the buy-it-now with shipping is 120. i also found a company that sells H4351 conversion kits to 9006 but it includes a bulb and is 80 shipped for both sides. i might just go the easy route and do that and get the 9006 hid conversion thingy. you were saying the a4 projectors might not work that well? they would work better than the conversion kit, though, right? i would like to got the easy route like i said but im afraid that ill spend 250 bucks and still have shitty lighting. thanks for all the help. i just dont wanna get a set of projectors and not be able to make them work.

Those projectors won't be ideal because they aren't designed for HID's. They're a halogen projector. They might work okay since projectors create the cutoff using a shield so there should be less stray light than a halogen reflector lamp.

The H4351 conversion kits are worthless. Is it the one from Auto-optiks? They're just a poorly designed reflector housing with a 9006 mounting. I've seen many people say the OEM ones are better and you might as well just put 9006's in the standard 4351 housing.

http://www.eurolamps.com/eurolamps/camaro_headlights.htm

someone on clubgp said it was stupid to silicone hid bulbs in. idk. so, it sounds like it would be easier and probably have equal results to just put HID bulbs in my stock housings than to retrofit A4 projectors? if there's a car with an HID projector (besides an A2 which i cant find) that would be small enough to work in the mini-quads i would go that way, but i cant seem to find any that are.

Well, like I said before, projectors attain the cutoff differently so you'll probably get a better beam pattern out of them even though they're not designed for HID's. You don't even need to silicone the bulbs into the stock housings, if you get HID bulbs designed to replace 9006, they should have an O-ring on them and can be pressure-fit into the housings. That's how mine are. Those ones at eurolamps are a huge waste of money. The only difference between them and OEM is they have that metal locking collar which I've found is not at all necessary.

well, i want to get all new lights anyway, so ill probably just order those since a replacement bulb is like 25 anyway and just try the bulbs that come with them. im not sure what im going to do yet.

• 2 weeks later...

so, i went ahead and ordered a 4300K 9006 kit from smart4cars on ebay (150 shipped) and taped it into my old housing just for a test. i am satisfied with the results, so im ordering a sealed beam conversion kit (eurolamps) and not bothering with a retrofit just yet.

before (silverstars)

gplit.jpg

after:

DSCF0924.jpg

of course, ill have to aim them. i didnt get flashed at all (yet)

Why did you have to tape them in? Mine easily press-fit into the housings. The O-ring holds them in tight. Your housings must be really different than mine if they can't press fit into them.

Ah, mine are metal, the metal ones must be the same brand as the one you have. I personally would just get another metal one, that's probably much cheaper. I bet the Eurolamps ones aren't going to be any better.

the glass on my metal one is cracked, so its like 50 to get 2 new ones and the eurolamp thing is 68 w/o bulbs, so im just going to get that to be on the safe side. ive had a conversion kit on my 79 blazer for like 6 years without a problem and its a very similar design. actually the hyper white bulb i put in there has been in there since i did the conversion. of course, these hid's pale in comparison to my 100W KC lites on the blazer, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

got the assemblies last night and everything put in. tried to take pix but the batteries died in my cam and i didnt feel like messing with it in the cold. ill post pics soon.

is there any need to do a writeup or something on this? ill gladly do it if anyone wants me to. was very easy.

Are you shittin me. The hids in those headlights look like crap. Can you post a pic of the beam pattern on a wall. I will bet you that within 2 months if not sooner you get a ticket. good luck

Are you shittin me. The hids in those headlights look like crap. Can you post a pic of the beam pattern on a wall. I will bet you that within 2 months if not sooner you get a ticket. good luck

dude, shutup.

WHAT!, Listen I am just trying to tell him that that simply does not look good. I am sorry if it came out wrong but come on there is so much glare coming from that one headlight. Also you dont have to be a fairy and tell every body that there stuff look perfect or good, I would rather be honest with the guy and help him out then sit back and let him get a ticket. So no you shut up!