brian89gp

I bought a Saab 900 IC thinking that I could just mount it in front of the radiator, but NO. Since all the radiator air flow comes from the skinny/long opening on the bottom of the bumper (somehow i didn't realize this till now) mounting the IC in front would effectively block all airflow to half the radiator and provide no air for the IC either. So I was wondering which is best

1. get a pusher fan and mount the IC engine-side of the radiator. I imagine this would not provide adequate cooling for the IC though.

2. mount the IC in the front bumper ahead of the wheel (thank god for those huge B4U bumpers) with a full time on fan mounted to it.

And does anybody have a guesstimate on the stock cooling fans CFM?

let me know if you want an IC. i have one ~3" thick 18.5" wide and 6" tall. it will not disrupt the flow enought to make your car over heat. the air passes THREW the IC plus there is allot more air coming UP from the black flap below your radiator. it is desiagned to ketch air from under the car and push it up to cool the rad. Also run a 180* Stat. I can do the Front mount IC for $365 shipped. (short time only.. need to unload a couple of them i have 5 in my hands.)

Shane

I wouldn't put the IC after the radiator as all that heat will wick into the IC. That is why the TGP intercooler and any other intercooler always sits in front or next to the radiator...not behind.

RedZ has some good looking IC's. Might want to go that route if you don't want to use the TGP IC... 8)

Don't put the intercooler behind the radiator as then it would be an interheater :lol:

Seriously though, what Saab 9000 intercooler do you have??? Is it this one: http://www.turbomustangs.com/car_images/intercoolers/saab%209000.jpg

I would just front mount the thing and be done with it. Turbo buick guys front mount the Ford powerstroke intercooler and they don't have any cooling system problems. I'm not saying that you won't have cooling system problems, but you can always add more/better fans. Check out this page: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/lane/6272/tech_info/ford_ic/

Holy shit that PowerStroke is a big intercooler!! :shock:

I had one of those 9000 intercoolers I was going to put on a Sunbird (no space kept me from doing it) but there are very large spaces in between the intercooler fins that I don't think you would have any issue with Radiator air flow with it in front... 8)

ewwwwww that saab intercooler is fugly :lol: ! This is how it works when you are sitting in traffic no air flows across the radiator so the interc is not blocking anything, when your are moving on the highway or equivalent there is sooo much forced air from the front and under need it will make it to the radiator. I just suggest giving each about 6" from each other so the radiator which gives the most heat doesn't soak the intercooler making it a worthless mod. Get a ramchargers fan for $80 2340cfm with dual dash switch overide and stock turn and never worry about it again.

Nope, Saab Blackstone IC

http://www.brian89gp.com/images/turbo/intercooler/DSCF0042.JPG

Let me try to reprase this. All of the airflow comes from the wide slit on the bottom of the bumper and from the flap under the radiator, so therefore every single ounce of air comes from the very bottom. My front bumper assembly is only about 5" in front of the radiator, so all of the air gets pulled in from the bottom and pushed up in this radiator size wide 5" thick colum. I put this IC in and it takes up the entire 5" width blocking all the upwards air, ie no airflow. I cannot put an IC in front of the radiator cause of this, and I cannot put an IC in back of the bottom slit either cause I would have to cut off all the plastic that points the air upwards.

Please trust me when I say this, there is no possible way to mount an IC in front of the radiator without cutting the entire bumper off.

I stand partially corrected, after pulling as much splash guarding and other misc plastic i think it may be remotely possible. A lot of cutting on the bumper support (you know those 94 grand prix grills are pretty much fake, about a 3x4" hole is all that is behind them) and some fancy airflow diverters and it may be possible.

No problems normally, but my car no air goes through the bumper, it all comes from down below and without some work the bottom of the IC would block all the upwards airflow. I have so little room between the front bumper and radiator that fitting pusher fans would be difficult.

have any of you guys ever considered the volvo 740ti intercoolers, just wondering....they are fairly large in size but overall kinda thin.. here is a link to a picture of one(didn't want to directly borrow the picture).

http://pictures.rothfam.com/svo/volvo/images/ic-vicfront.jpg

EDIT: a little info on the Volvo intercooler. The core measures 17.75" wide X 17" tall and is 1.25" thick. There are 34 rows that are 1.125" X .150" With tanks the overall width is 28.75" at the top where the inlet/outlet are located and 23.125" at the bottom.

Both tubes face perpendicular to the core except one of the tubes is more of a 45° angle.

The tube O.D. is 2.5" and the I.D. is 2.25"

If you go the the web site http://www.thedodgegarage.com there is an interesting "flow test" on several IC's. Although our spacific IC is not listed several like the volvo, Saab, Supra & other I/C's are listed.

I dont know about all of you but when I think that a 4 cyl Dodge omni does consistant 12's, and a Dodge mini van that does 11's. I'll trust this persons testing results.

:wink:

Thomas

No problems normally, but my car no air goes through the bumper, it all comes from down below and without some work the bottom of the IC would block all the upwards airflow. I have so little room between the front bumper and radiator that fitting pusher fans would be difficult.

Just put it up there i won't be a problem, trust me.

RedZ

You guys have striked my curiosity about the grill on the front of the TGP. Only problem is my car cover is tied down and it takes a while to uncover. I think an Aftermarket cooler stashed up in the bumper cover would be awesome if there is access for air to push through. I never paid any attention, but is the TGP honeycomb grill a fake grill or is it open for air? If not open I wonder how difficult would it be to gut it and allow the air to flow? I am going to scope it out this weekend....that would be cool! 8)