Symptoms of Bad Torque Converter

CutlassSL91

What are some sypmtoms of a bad torque converter, I don't know if the TCC is just part of the torque converter, but i want to know the symptoms of an entire bad unit. My clunking problem is getting worse. Here is what i am having issues with and I think it is related to the torque converter:

1.) Very little low end power. For a 3.1 MPFI, it should be better. I have to really punch the revs up to get it going. 0-30 is what is poor. Sometimes when the converter (if thats what it even is) is NOT acting up, it will accelerate strong, and i don't have the punch the gas. It is much MUCH more responsive.

2.) The whole car shudders at around 35mph

3.) You can coast, and when you step on the gas again, it either clunks and then goes, or it revs high for a second and snaps back into gear. THIS HAS BEEN GETTING WORSE AND WORSE!

Very rarely these problems seem to disappear for a few miles, and come right back. Hot or cold, it doesn't make a difference.

My trans fluid is fine, the CV joints are fine, the bearings are good, etc. The torque converter is the only thing i can think of that would make all 3 of these problems.

they seem to be in good condition.

Also a few more problems. It stalls in reverse occasionally, and if i have it in overdrive, and i come to a complete stop, when i go to take off after a minute or two, the engine will rev, but nothing happens, like in nuetral. the overdrive does work.

I am also hoping that the torque converter is not the culprit because i don't have the money to have it fixed

the TCC could cause all these clunking problems? If so, where is the plug, what does it look like, and how do i replace the TCC?

It's worth a shot. Remove the airbox and you'll see it, it's right on the front of the transmission.

I will have to try that. Its too dark and nasty out to do it tonight. What exactly does the TCC look like?

The actual TCC is inside the torque converter which is inside the bell housing. But, it has a 5 wire electrical connector which plugs into the tranny from the spot were GP1138 said. Its a big black plug with 5 wires going to it. Easy to find.

so what happens if it is the TCC causing these problems? I don't want to lose overdrive if i unplug it. Would a fluid change do some good?

you shouldnt lose overdrive if you unplug the TCC, it just wont lock up and you will have slightly less gas milage, also the plug is like directly above and a little to the right of the Trans vacuum modulator

with out the tcc, the RPM will be only 10% higher, so maybe a 10% fuel mileage loss at higheway speeds only.... But if it fixes the problem......

10% higher? Without my torque convertor locked up on the freeway my car spins around 3500rpms. Once it locks up it spins 2500. That seems like a lot more than 10%...maybe my math sucks though?

Shawn

with out the tcc, the RPM will be only 10% higher, so maybe a 10% fuel mileage loss at higheway speeds only.... But if it fixes the problem......

10% higher? Without my torque convertor locked up on the freeway my car spins around 3500rpms. Once it locks up it spins 2500. That seems like a lot more than 10%...maybe my math sucks though?

Shawn

hmm how fast???

with the car in O/D I tested it on three cars at 60 mph.... this was my result.

lum & 94 CS 1800rpm@60mph , with tcc disengaged, 2000...

95 CS 2000rpm@60mph, with tcc disengaged, 2250

ok, may 10 to 15%....

I disengaged the tcc by deperessing the brake pedal enough to disconnect the tcc switch in the brake pedal.

My rpm listings are at 77mph. (thats the speed I drive down the freeway) Maybe its because TGP's got different convertors?

Shawn

good point! try it at 60 sometime for a base reference, I'll try 77.

meanwhile, unplugging the tcc temporarily will be fine, drive like that for a few days and see if the problem is gone. And you can always plug it back in.