'94+ rear brake hose question

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i picked up some nice calipers from a '94 Cutlass a couple days ago and finally got the rear brakes done on my Turbo STE....almost.

my Cutlass has much different brake hoses than my STE does. unlike the Cutlass brake hoses, the STE's brake hoes goes up in front of the strut and the hose itself is much longer. i could simply reuse my old hoses when i upgraded my Cutlass rear brakes, but there is no way that will be possible on the STE.

so....looking at Chris A's site i see he reused his original brake hoses. what is the best way to bend that metal line section of the brake hose? ball peen hammer? tubing bender? or should i just order some SS Goodrich lines from tirerack.com and hope for the best? i'm kind of afraid i'm going to fuck them all up if i use a hammer....

TIA

btw, got my Addco rear bar in the STE now too :) hopefully i'll have FFP coilovers and KYBs in there soon becuase the rear struts are totally shot.

Guest TurboSedan
I think I need to start delievering pizza...Josh you have so much money for these cars of yours :D

Okay back on topic..sorry

HA! i wish. the j/y sold me the calipers, brackets & bolts for $15. pads were $40/set and rotors were $25/each. i've had the Addco bar sitting in the garage for several years now.

jeremy, just trying to get the thing running/driving right now. coilovers are real iffy (has hideous 4x4 stance right now). i put the Addco in the STE since i can't use it in the Cutlass anyway. lots of work to go before i can drive this thing :|

as far as selling it....i believe i'm stuck with this thing given it's condition and my location.

Guest TurboSedan
so what do you do for an e brake then? has anyone thought of a way to hook up 88-93 brakes to 94+ calipers?

i'd hate to do that upgrade, then have the car slip out of park

i have a set of '94+ e-brake cables in my garage waiting to go in. btw, my Cutlass has '94+ rear brakes and no ebrake....and it's a manual! gotta be careful with that car :shock:

well alst time i read anything about it, the 94+ e-brake cable wouldn't work in an 88-93 car.

slightly off-topic, but can you get calipers off ANY 94+ w? i didn't take them off to measure, but i'm pretty sure my mom's 95 lumina has 10.5 inch rotors :think:

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/rear_brake_upgrade.htm

Read. It contains the info.

for the p brake cable, I did not have my bracket welded on... It is ziptied to the old bracket. I think I will drill holes through it and mount it to the body with stainless self-tapping bolts and jb weld, as the ziptie solution is pathetic, and leaves the p brakle which unevenly applies for now.

Guest TurboSedan

yeah i'm gonna try the ballpeen hammer method tomarrow. wish me luck!

i'd like to get the Goodridge SS braided hoses but it sounds like too many people have problems with them :?

i'd like to get the Goodridge SS braided hoses but it sounds like too many people have problems with them :?

What kind of problems do you mean? Fitment?

I have a set on the Beretta, and though I did have to wait like 2 freakin months to get them, they were just right in size. They made quite a difference too in overall pedal feel.

I hope you start getting this car going soon, your making me feel like I gave you a lemon. :cry:

I just straightened it with a hammer. I have pics on the site somewhere, I think.

I used a bending tool on my '90 but yeah. '91-93 cars don't have the metal line near the caliper so it's much much easier.

Guest TurboSedan

got it done! straightened it out with a hammer and the hoses fit nicely. i'm probably going to order the Goodridge lines later but these will work fine for now.

tomarrow i'm going to get the Addco mounting brackets figured out and hopefully get that out of the way. it's in place but the hangers still need to be done.

Guest TurboSedan

What kind of problems do you mean? Fitment?

I have a set on the Beretta, and though I did have to wait like 2 freakin months to get them, they were just right in size. They made quite a difference too in overall pedal feel.

I hope you start getting this car going soon, your making me feel like I gave you a lemon. :cry:

sorry Dave :oops: i was a bit overwhelmed at first but now that i've actually started working on it i kind of like it :lol: the car should be running/driving soon. the only thing i have to do with the brakes now is install the new Prior acuumulator. i have the good replacement Garrett T25 at a local welding/fabrication shop so they can pull the broken bolt out of the turbine housing, and then i need to take both of my crossover pipes to the exhaust shop along with the car so they can make me one good one. after that i'll be driving this thing and saving up for FFP coilovers, KYBs, 245/50s etc and getting the rest of the stuff i need for '95+ front brakes. i want to get the suspension & brakes taken care of before i pull the engine for cleaning/gasket replacement stuff. i'll likely be converting it to 5-speed while i'm doing that since i already have most of the stuff needed (probably late spring/early summer).