Looking for 4T60 Transmission - 90 TGP

Wolf Mischief

Hi ,... I'm new to forum and looking for a little help.

I was looking to see if any one could help me locate a used 4T60 Transmision.

I'm working on a cavalier project to swap out a 3.1 auto to a 3.1 turbo auto.

Have a complete 3.1 Turbo engine with Computer (all wiring). Just lacking 3speed w/overdrive transmission.

Unless someone know of another Auto transmission to use?

Thanks

Theres really no difference, if not the auto is faster for these cars anyway, due to the fact boost isnt lost on every shift, and theres a toque conveter. its a 4 speed tho, thats what GM calls them, 4 speed auto w/ overdrive

Theres really no difference, if not the auto is faster for these cars anyway, due to the fact boost isnt lost on every shift, and theres a toque conveter. its a 4 speed tho, thats what GM calls them, 4 speed auto w/ overdrive

I ran almost the same exact time in my TGP after I switched to a manual, and that was with a worse 60' time. The only difference between the two runs was that I had a DSM BOV when it was 5 speed. That wouldn't have made a difference though with the auto so it's really a moot point. I don't think boost loss between gears is really a problem on a 3.1 with a T-25. :roll:

http://home.alltel.net/mfewtrail/tgpslips/skalor-4T60.jpg

http://home.alltel.net/mfewtrail/tgpslips/skalor_getrag.jpg

I have a 4T60 from my TGP, but it's needs to be rebuilt. I adjusted the vaccum modulator to firm it up for a while, but one day on a 2-1 downshift it just clunked and slipped. I found pieces of the clutch in the pan after I got it home. I'd let it go for like $125 if you want it, it had ~125K on it. I would probably just use a getrag 282 though as it a lot more fun to drive. 8)

Thanks for all your help.

I'm not looking at boosting up the HP to much more on the engine once I drop it in place, so the Auto 4T60 should work just fine for me. The ASC Cavalier RS I got is already set up for Auto, and is only my weekend toy.

I would love to change over to 5 speed, but I am already getting into a job just changing out the 3.1 engine to turbo,.. I would hate to start switching over the transmision from auto to 5 speed as well.

I found a few place on line that sell 4T60 - 3.1 TURBO Automatic Transmission for Around $1020. Just a little leary, that why i am asking TGP folks for a little advise.

As for picking up a used 4T60 that needs to be rebuilt,... I wonder love too, but I don't have a transmission place around my area I could trust to do the work. I had similar issues with my 1989 Pontaic Turbo Trans Am I had. No one locally would even atempt to play with the transmission or the engine. Not even local GM garages would touch certain elements on that car. They did not even have manuals. I had let them borrow the ones I had. Even I had fun placing with that cars tune ups, since they only make 1550 of them for one year.

The guy I bought my old TGP off of had to have the tranny rebuilt 5 times before they got it right. they are very simple trannys to rebuild but ya need the right rebuild parts. If you can find a tranny under 90k, toss it in and go but anything higher you will want to have freshend up to save problems down the road. Send a PM to Jeff M. on the site and see where he says 2 get a rebuild kit.

Good luck with the swap

I have a 4T60 from my TGP, but it's needs to be rebuilt. I adjusted the vaccum modulator to firm it up for a while, but one day on a 2-1 downshift it just clunked and slipped. I found pieces of the clutch in the pan after I got it home. I'd let it go for like $125 if you want it, it had ~125K on it. I would probably just use a getrag 282 though as it a lot more fun to drive. 8)

Damn, If you didn't leave in PA, I would strongly consider take that trans off your hands, that would be a wonderful rebuild project for us, damn living on the other side of the country!!! :x

Ok So where do we find these 282 getrag you speak of? i haven't found much, and how hard is it to convert auto to manuals with these things? i'm bout to go on to a 4th tranny wouldn't mind a stick this time...

wtf. where is the TTA ? the 3.8? those are the shit! got pics?

YES,..

1989 Turbo Trans Am. Had the baby for 2 years. Picked it up for $14,000 with only 47,200 miles. She was one of the festival car that ran at the Indy Track. 1 of 187 cloth interior = #869 production. VERY SWEET 3.8 turbo!!! VERY Quick,... 0-60 in 4.5 sec with very few up-grades. Quarter mile in Mid 12's. That is if you could keep the rear end pointed in the right direction after hitting he gas. It was just a pain finding some parts, and find a mechanic to work on her.

To answer what happened to my Turbo TA. I had to sell her do to money issues. I had an accident with my Daily driver 1995 S-10 ZR2 (Modified 4.3 CPI = 250hp @ crank) on a unmarked back country road. UPS truck coming the other way and my ZR2 did not fit on the same road with the Big Brown UPS. So I found the ditch and the trucked rolled. Insurance gave me sh@# for the wreck. Couldn't drive the TA on daily bases so I sold her for $16,000, and purchased an Avalanche. (I'll post some pic if any one wants to see the Interior, Engine, etc.)

Miss the speed and looking for a new toy to tinker with. I have 3.1 Turbo for a good price and just wonder what to do with it. Either drop it into my cavalier or find another car to drop it into. The engine has everything but the Transmission. (small / Medium problem)

Most all v6 powered GMs from 87-93 had the getrag 282 or NV.

I've built up my 3spd auto. Pontiac Jeff (not Jeff M.) has built up his on his turbo hybrid 2.0 sunbird turbo. His layed 250+hp on a wheel dyno.

Same as 4t60..but without OD. Its the same thing but this time you don't have to worry about a broken stove pipe or fryed OD clutch pack. The 3t40 is actually rated at a higher gearbox torque. Just needs all that grandma shifting program and soft clutches gone with some Transgo and Alto Red Eagle parts. And if you do get the reds...don't use the Kelone steels. Use regulars.

I just got a 90 TGP with 200K + Miles, haven't been able to take it down the road yet (Numerous Problems) But judging from the rest of the car it was badly abused, so I'm pretty sure both the engine and tranny need rebuild, i would like to beef up the trans so I can make some power out of this engine :mrgreen:

I read in some old posts that Jeff M was working on a trans kit for the TGP, if he finished it I'm sure that would work, but if not does anybody have any suggestions on kits for beefing up the trans? I don't know much about transmissions :oops: but have a local who I going to have do it and wanted advice for trans kits.

Thanks,

Mitch

the best way to beef one up is have Aamco build it but at the same time have a valence panel and working aux cooler plumbing. I would not even drive it away from Aamco until they put a new TV cable on it though.

the best way to beef one up is have Aamco build it but at the same time have a valence panel and working aux cooler plumbing. I would not even drive it away from Aamco until they put a new TV cable on it though.

What about us that want to rebuild it ourselves.. *Oh and I don't need any don't even try it shit either :P*, I'm serious, the Turbo 400 we just rebuilt ourselves runs just fine, so we are going to try this one next. Would an Aamco or another rebuild place be able to source up a kit, or would someone contacting someone like Jeff M have a better chance of succession.

Oh and TGTU, more info on the clutchs stuff you talked about too would be nice if you would. Any info on making one, 4T60 that is, shift harder and better is appreciated.

well, I never trusted myself to do it. I got more friends now than ever right now that are going to be working on my spare tranny. One guy does all the cop car trannys in town here. the other guy lives down the street, the mailman is going to introduce me to him and both these guys know where to order parts. The guy who works at Aamco is actually pretty helpful and cool. he drives an AMX Javelin. he is always willing to help, just dont give no discounts or do any work for cheap.

One thing about aamco, If something goes wrong they will always fix it. just not for free. :(

Know what AAMCO stands for?

The HM-282 isn't going too tollerate a ton of HP either. I've blown out one, sheared several axles, etc and that's with mid 300 wheel HP. I've never successfully made a pass at 16 psi, which should be in the 420-430 wheel HP range.

I'm kind of at that point too, deciding what too do. The Auto would definately be better for drag racing, simply because you can get them built up (you really can't do squat with the manual trannies), brake torquing the motor with a decent stall reduces the load at launch, since you pre-load the drivetrain, unlike reving the motor with a 5-speed and dumping the clutch at max torque. That's usually when my tranny fails or I shear a 350 dollar Driveshaft axle. Unfortunately neither tranny has a real choice for a LSD too.

You can check around, there are a decent number of shops that can build up a HM-125C, the 4T60, etc.

I had the links on my old hard drive for kits. All I know is Alto makes the Alto Red Eagle clutch kit and Band for the 3t40. They also make the kits for the 4t60 in Red clutches and high energy I think. Raybestos also has bands. Sonnax has all the hard parts you need. You cold use TransGo shift kits or Superior. You can tylor the acumulators if you know how.

I know I bought my kit from Bulkpart.com...I think.

A company that sells Raptor trannies and builds up trannies for Grand Natinals and Sy/Tys also sells the 3t40/125-c kits. But I didn't see a 4t60 kit there. They have a 4t65 blue plate kit though.

The reason for me using a 3t40 is because my car already came with one and the simplicity and cost of beefing it up compared to the 4t60 and 4t65-e. I think its easier than building a TH350.

The tranny guys I have talked to have all said the 4t60 is a very easy tranny to rebuild (3 hour job or so) but finding the stonger parts is tough. Just to repeat what turboGTU said, bulkpart.com is the place to order rebuild kits. Send them an email asking if if they can get the 4t60HD parts.

Sweet, this is the kinds of information I was hoping for. Thanks much everyone. That bulkpart.com definitely has the stuff I was hoping for. However, none of their shift kit *valve body kits were for performance *under the 4t60, or should I give them a call and make sure to specify the HD?

I don't think they make a performance valve body for the 4t60, but you can use stiffer springs 2 make the shifts firmer during the rebuild. Also, they make an aftermarket (some came stock) with an an adjustable vacuum modulator that can change shift firmness. I don't think you can chage shift points but I might be wrong. Good luck.

I don't think they make a performance valve body for the 4t60, but you can use stiffer springs 2 make the shifts firmer during the rebuild. Also, they make an aftermarket (some came stock) with an an adjustable vacuum modulator that can change shift firmness. I don't think you can chage shift points but I might be wrong. Good luck.

I'm not worried about shift points, manual shifting takes care of that problem :wink: The stock shift points are just fine for normal driving, but when I want to have fun, manual shifting fixes the shift points