Upgraded, but still streetable suspension?

TheAntiCivic

Basically I've got a 91 Grand Prix 3.1 we've had for quite a few years as an "extra car" so to speek. I've decided to revive it with new paint, a new motor with a small ammount of mods, a new tranny and a new suspension.

I already plan on running whatever poly stuff I can find. I've got poly front control arm bushings on my Jetta and they're wonderful. I just need to know what company makes 'em for w-bodys.

My main question is what shocks/struts are out there provide that stiffer feeling for turns but allow me to kep a gentle ride? I'm not lookin for a racing suspension because this car will probably never see track time like my Jetta. I've seen some Koni's for it but I think the adjustablility is a little bit of overkill for what this car will be.

I'm also not really looking to lower this car.

I'll probably put on front and rear strut bars and a 22mm rear sway bar around the same time as the shocks.

Thanks guys.

go to the energysuspension website and there's a universal poly sway bar bushing chart. i'm not sure what size your swaybar is, so you'll have to measure it unless someone else knows for sure. as for struts, you're not really going to get anything that has both, but possibly the monroe reflex. kyb's are a little stiffer. koni doesnt make 1st gen w ones anymore, anyway.

look at aweb80's stb and addco rear bar. do a search and you should be able to find other stb's avail (rsm, gmpp, etc.)

Well, I'm not lookin for something track worthy, I just want something a little bit beyond stock, but not far enough to compromise the ride quality. I've thought about KYB's.

Thanks for the other tips though.

for a tad bit beyond stock, monroe gas shocks will do you good. They aren't as stiff as KYB, however they normally come with lifetime warranties. They're durable, but great for that "luxury" ride feel.

Yea the best thing if you want streetable susp. would just be new struts (even OEM) and throw an AWEB80 strut tower bar on there. THat'll stiffen it up on the corners, but when you're driving straight, the struts will be revived so you won't get the whole pogo-effect :)

Not to threadjack, but I've been investigating new shocks/struts for my Lumina, and have been having a hardtime deciding between KYBs and Monroe Sensa-tracs. Both claim to give a small performance boost while not hurting ride quality, but I take all of that with a lot of salt...