She just shut off on me...Please Help!!

Jon89le

Alright, well yesterday it happen at about 11:00pm. Im getting off the highway and theres a stop sign, so i stop and then hit the gas to proceed. So i hit the gas and the motors revving up and all of a sudden the front end takes a nose dive and i realize shes shut off. So i manage to steer her over and stop to start her up again but no luck. All she does is crank and crank but wont start. It sounds the same as when i took my ignition fuses out to prime my motor. Crank and crank but wont turn over. Now while i was in the street i replaced the fuel filter thinking that the stock one may have finally clogged up. But it didnt help. I tryed out the fuel relay on the motor and when i touch the plug to the battery i hear my fuel pump. All the plugs and wires are new on the motor as well as the battery and alt which i know definitely arent the problem. The only thing that isnt new is the coil pack. Could this be my problem? From what im thinking, IF it was a coil, one or two cylinders would have went so the car would have gotten really rough from not running on all 6cylinders. What i experienced was the car just flat out shutting off while i was accelerating, no warning signs what-so-ever. To me my problem is either fuel or ignition but i dont know where to start on either one. I know my fuel pump is working but could it not be pumping enough? Is there anyway to check the fuel pressure near the fuel rail? If so what should the reading show me? And is there anyway to check to see if my plugs are getting spark? Any help is really appreciated...

It's probably the crank sensor. If you have any fuel, it will run. Bad...but it will run. Even if there is one or two bad coils, it will still run. The only thing that will kill it completely is the crank sensor (or the Ignition Control Module...but I doubt that what's wrong). You know the fuel pump works (as long as it sounds decent...nice smooth humming noise). So as long as you checked all the fuses, and nothing werid happened up until the point of failure, it must be the crank sensor.

The crank sensor is located on the rear of the block (near the firewall, next to the knock sensor). It is a pain to replace, unless you have a 5 speed :). Use a 8 mm socket or ratcheting box end wrench. They will usually crack at the end and fail out of the blue. Everything else (pump, coils, ICM, plugs, wires, etc) will let you know it's going to die, ie. by running badly.

The way to check this is to pull a spark plug wire, and use a screw driver and touch the plug wire to the engine while cranking. If you get no spark, thats probably it. Do not touch the plug wire or screw driver while cranking, you may get shocked.

Jason

just a heads up for ya Jon in case you can't post due to AOhell....I also use aol, but use the Internet Explorer browser to surf the web, for some reason AOL has a problem with the w-body board(cookie issue?) and I always get "Invalid Session" when I try to post using AOL, but have never recieved that error message with IE. hope this helps!

if you have a multimeter, remove the bottom "left" (passenger side, for lack of better term) 2-wire plug on the DIS, it's just to the left of the 1-4 coil pack. Check for AC VOLTAGE between the 2 wires on the plug while someone cranks the engine....it should read at least 0.1 Volts. If this checks out, it's probably the Ignition module. I feel your pain (though it's pretty simple to repair), mine just took a shit last week and I couldnt use the car for about 6 days, couldnt work on it due to the snow. If you can get yourself a timing light, you could use that to see if you have spark, just to double check. Hope this helps!

Alright guys. Well it turned out to be the damn Ignition Control Module. I figured it was that after reading an old post you had Brian on a similar problem that your car wouldnt start. Now i just gotta search around the boards a little bit and see how to test individual coils because i think one of mines going to take a crap soon,lol.

BTW, Thanks for the heads up on the AOL problem. Im using IE now. :D

Alright guys. Well it turned out to be the damn Ignition Control Module. I figured it was that after reading an old post you had Brian on a similar problem that your car wouldnt start. Now i just gotta search around the boards a little bit and see how to test individual coils because i think one of mines going to take a crap soon,lol.

BTW, Thanks for the heads up on the AOL problem. Im using IE now. :D

good to see you found the problem :D and you're welcome on the AOL/IE thing.......AOL must not like w-body owners :cry: