I've completed the upgrades to my car (so far)...

1990lumina

Well after installed my new 4" JL Audio speakers into the dash in my Lumina, and connecting them up with my amp, I'm considering the upgrades complete.

I have 2 Kenwood 6x9 3 ways in the back

4" JL Audio speakers in the front

4 channel Clarion APA450 amplifer

Factory Delco cd player from my cars' era

And with this I'm considering all this done. I'm not the type to install subs in my car, the 6x9s can produce what I need and that's good enough. With the addition of the JLs tonight, it sounded AWESOME. I've amplified all 4 speakers now (instead of just the 2 rear speakers), so yeah, everything went in nicely tonight...everything sounds great, so I'm happy.

Hell people honestly have asked me to pop the trunk to see if I was lying to them about not having a sub...anyway, as I said, I'm happy, I love the sound of the JLs, and the Kenwoods are now just adding "fill" and doing all the hitting.

I ultimately decided not to put in the 5 1/4" MB Quart speakers into my doors. One of the reasons was I couldn't find any factory grilles, and secondly I'm lazy as hell (and busy with school/work) to do any extra work to install them. I'm sure it would sound a little better, but honestly for a factory deck running high level ins to a crappy amp, it sounds great.

Thanks for helping me out along the way, and not critizing for asking dumb questions. All I need to do now is change my ground to try and eliminate electrical "pops" when applying the brakes/turn signals.

Thanks again!

- Jeff L.

sounds good. it's a good thing most of the time to use different brands for different things. and, yeah, 6x9's can pound pretty well if you get good power to them and get the right kind. two 6x9's can def pound better than a single 10" woofer sometimes.

sounds good. it's a good thing most of the time to use different brands for different things. and, yeah, 6x9's can pound pretty well if you get good power to them and get the right kind. two 6x9's can def pound better than a single 10" woofer sometimes.

I hear you on that. I love my Kenwood 6x9s....but their 4" speakers SUCK!!! The 5 1/4" MB Quart I bought sounded awesome, I just am to lazy to install them....I'll probably throw them into the RX-7 since it has shit for speakers right now

yeah mine was the same way before my subs, my 6x9 put out soo much bass, and still do.

Glad to hear everything went good for you! Enjoy your work now!! :lol:

Thanks, I plan to enjoy them...just to bad I don't commute longer to work, etc...I never drive anywhere far enough to have it cranked up for an extended period of time lol :(...only takes me 7 minutes to drive to work, barely gets me through one song lol

The only bass made by the 6x9s is canceled out by the back shelf rattling against the speaker housing. Thats why they sound like shit and always pop.

Also because they have no sealed enclosure.

If they were sealed or at least if the back deck was sound deadened they might sound alright to like 50 Hz. if your lucky.( not that low)

A 10 should get you down to like 25 Hz.

Do you think that quoting the prez. makes you sound smarter?

There is no low bass response either.

Look, the 6x9s have a hard time even with 50 Hz. So that means that if your stereo or radio station or tape or whatever is playing music with a dynamic range of 20 to 20 KHz. you are missing out on a huge chunk of the sound.

You cant even hear it.

Its not like it is just quieter bass, it is non existent.

Think of a 6x9 as a midrange speaker. a very inefficient one that is oval shaped.