2 problems with TGP :(

john99gtp

Didnt take long, but I think they both should be fairly easy.

First and easiest: Parking brake doesnt set. Im sure the Ratchet system isnt functioning correctly, and I'll prolly have to oil it.

Second: it bogs bigtime in 2nd gear at WOT. it never did it before i touched the intake system sunday. i think the noise im hearing is definantly a leak, on the boosting side, causing it to spool...then it hits fuel cutoff, then backs down again cause my boost gauge is going higher then it used to, then it looks like it gets to high, and backs down.

at least thats my theory. I wont be able to touch it for a week or so since im going down to Georgia tomorrow and will be back next saturday. if you guys agree or have any ideas, please let me know :)

Also, one minor thing: when i let off the gas and crusing to a stop, the rpms flutter. Just wondering what would cause something like that, if you have any ideas. I have not done anything to the car yet, was thinking of doing a tuneup soon (plugs, wires, anything else you can think of)

John

Welcome to TGP ownership. :mrgreen:

Your right, the parking brake rachet needs oiled. Mine had the same problem and that fixed it right up.

I'd be looking around for any torn or leaking intake hose couplers. Look especially at the coupler on the throttle body. That coupler can be tricky to work with sometimes. We had an intake leak in Jess's TGP once, and that coupler was the problem. It got caught up in itself when I put it back on.

That's something I would look for, or just spend the $30 and get a K&N filter.

K&N is in :)

coupler on the throttle body? your not talking the pipe are you?

when i go to put that K&N on, im gonna tighten everything down, just to make sure.

im still almost certain its the lower one, since it looks so loose and you look at it and it looks loose

oh well, thats in a week, off to bed then off to georgia

I'd put a guess on the intake pipe coupler at the T/B.

I left mine loose when I did a t-stat. It would run fine, but at the top of 1st it would bog big time, I'd have to let off to get it to shift into 2nd.

At least you're not having ABS probs yet, yikes! :evil:

Also, one minor thing: when i let off the gas and crusing to a stop, the rpms flutter. Just wondering what would cause something like that, if you have any ideas. I have not done anything to the car yet, was thinking of doing a tuneup soon (plugs, wires, anything else you can think of)

I think everything else was covered.. so I'll just hit this (in my TGP this was very noticable.. I barely notice it at all in Greg's car, even as is.)

What your hearing is all that pressurized air slamming into the throttle body butterfly and being forced back to the turbo, effectively slowing it down hardcore, fighting against the exhaust turbine. A BOV will cure this, as the air has somewhere to go when you let off the throttle.

If I missed something or read you wrong, well a BOV isn't a bad idea anyway :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

is it actually the RPMs going up/down or are you hearing a fluttering noise like Tony mentioned? a BOV is definately a must regardless. i know you have an automatic but still.

i would really look into getting some T-bolt clamps.

The revving up and down at a stop could be several things. Stock chip, broken vacuum lines, weak alternator, car's been sitting for a while.

Check out those couplers, they're tough to get on right. You're probably right about the one at the lower IC/pipe.

When you get home, be sure to slap that K&N on, and finish the fins mod!