1990 3800 - Code 63 - Advice

euro1990

My GF's 1990 Bonneville SSE has the "Service Engine" light coming on ocassionally, and the computer is putting out code 63. Anyone have any advice on what the code book says 63 is?

"MAP sensor - signal voltage is too high"

"Small EGR Failure"

"Right O2 sensor failure (dual sensor engines)"

"Cruise Control system problem"

Anyone have any advice on how to test for any of these possible problems? Cruise is working fine, so I've discounted that. Not sure if a 3800 has 2 O2's or not. Does "Small EGR failure" mean the failure is small, or the EGR?

Thanks for any advice... if I dont figure it out, not a huge deal, GF plans to get a new car relatively soon, she's starting a new sales rep job, and her Bonnie already went through one salesman (her uncle put 240k miles on it for work, it now has 316k) so she's gonna get something newer. Damn shame, this Bonnie runs like a champ!

(PS, not to offend anyone, but I got a new ride. 98 Maxima SE 5-speed. See it here if interested http://www.tosinet.com/anton/maxima/ ) Unfortunately, 90 Lumina Euro may be up for sale soon. :(

With that many miles 316K, I would say start at the O2 sensor. Those things really get clogged and worn out with old age. I would say, take that out and see how it looks. Get a new one, and try it. Next I would check EGR, the small means a small failure. It may be clogged or just plain bad. Then try the MAP sensor. One or both of those may cause a bad reading on the MAP. Im not real sure how to check the O2 sensor, take it to a parts store and see if they know how. But I would definitely try that first.

Robby

"Right O2 sensor failure (dual sensor engines)"

The two O2 sensors are located in the following areas:

• Left O2 Sensor (Bank 1) - Location: Behind the engine on the left-side of the manifold before the catalytic convertor
  • Right O2 Sensor (Bank 2) - Location: On the right-side of the exhaust behind the catalytic convertor.

Change the O2 Sensor first before you do anything else. Costs for the sensors are roughly $50 for Bank 1 and $70 for Bank 2. They use to be cheaper a year ago.