'90 Cutty Cluster --> 93 Lumina Z34 dash

lakefxgp96

I Hear you are all experts at this :D

I have just finished wiring the cluster in and i have a couple questions.

My Oil pressure reads all the way HIGH whether in key-on or running. Im going to take a stab at this and say its probably because theres a dummy light sending unit on the car rather than a pressure sending unit. Is this accurate? has anyone else tried to fix this?

Is there a way to roll back miles on a cutty digital cluster? the car has 130K, the guage reads 192K--so yeah its a bit of a difference!

Also im a little lost as to how to physically install this thing, well i have a few ideas but none of them are hillybillified ideas. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks for all your help!

i think your oilpreasure is on a voltage thing. a resistor might help you fix this. someone chim in plez.

your milage problem is like this. if you roll back the odomieter its going to trip the false reading mechanisim so basicly even though it may be right nobody will believe its ture. there is really no way to cure this without voiding the credit of the vehicles milage.

Well what i will do then is take a pic of the two clusters together just for future reference in case i ever sell it. Then again, the way i did the wiring, i could just as easily plug any factory cluster back in...

I had a stroke of genious (ehh probably not) and decided to just solder right into the ub3 connector of the stock lumina cluster circuit board and cut off the rest of the circuit board. This way i wont have to rewire it again if i return it to stock some day.

:werd: on the oil pressure sensor. The one in the car is really just an on/off rheostat. It can't read exact pressures, it'll just trip a light if the pressure gets too low.

In theory--- could i just buy a replacement sending unit for a 90 cutlass and run the wire? Im not sure if the threads on a 2.8 and a 3.4 are the same... guess its worth a try.

Not sure about the oil pressure thing cause if you've got a Z with the oil pressure guage you have the proper sender already. I'm using the same sender with the cutty cluster as with the Z cluster and the guages responded the same. When cold the guage is pegged and backs off a bit once its warm.

As for installing it you could scab the cutty cluster in there but your best bet is to take the guts from the cutty cluster and but them in a base Lumina cluster.

The cluster i have only had a dummy light, no guage. so not sure what thats going to mean for me.

You said base lumina cluster... the z34 cluster is full of plastic and stuff, can i just cut all that out and set the guts in there? its a completely different configuation and size, but maybe the base cluster is way different.

• 2 weeks later...

If you only had the dummy light for the oil pressure than you need to change the sender to one from a w-body with the guage.

Either the base or Z34 cluster will require you to cut the guts out, I said base because there is no hole in the front cover.