88-93 Rear Caliper Question

Robby1870

Alright, do any of you guys use the "special tool" to align the piston in its bore on 88-93 rear calipers after changing the pads? I did the rear brakes on my old 92 and had problems b/c I couldnt get the piston to align b/c I didnt have that tool. That was over 4 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy. Im needing to do my rear pads and replace one frozen (open, luckily) caliper. So, anyone had problems with this and how did you get around them? Dont suggest 94+ calipers......I have them in my room, but not the time to go get parts from the junkyard and have the car ready for me to drive back to school in a couple of days to install them. Thanks

I had to use the special tool to get the piston back in. You do have to apply a good amount of force downward and spin it as well. There was a time when the piston just would not retract and I had to use another special tool, which has a backing plate like an outer brake pad so you can REALLY force the piston in.

If you can't put enough pressure on it, the cube tool is worthless. I had better luck with a c-clamp and a small, thin block of wood. I put the wood over the piston, and as the clamp turned and squeezed, it mashed the wood into the groves on the face of the piston and turned it with the clamp.