NaiChemsya

I notice that RSM racing sells upgrades for the front and back of the Lumina Z34.

My question is.... Can you get the larger callipers from another car?

Because $2400 for front and rear is killer. There has to be a car I can steal the callipers off and swap them to the Z34.

$2400 isnt that bad for what you get, plus I also believe they are in Canada, so there will be a price difference between Canada and the U.S.

What do you do to your car where you need something like that? You race it? If your looking for just a simple upgrade, get their slotted rotors with a set of semi-mettalic pads. Unless your racing it, I dont see the need for such an upgrade.

You could get the larger front rotors from a newer w-body, 95+. You have to replace the whole front struts, but the calipers are the same. You can also get the calipers, brackets and rotors from a 94+ w-body for the rear. And about that bullshit racing comment, our brakes suck. Period. Anything that you can do to improve the brakes improves the safety of the car.

• 4 weeks later...

I DO race my car. But even before I raced it I could tell that the Lumina Z34's braking was HORRID! I had to get top dollar ceramics just to get half decent braking. The calipers and rotors on my car ar too small. Thanks.

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/brakes-rotors.html

The main W-Body.com website has a ton of info on upgrades to these cars :wink: .

Everyone here who has experience with them will tell you that carbon metallic brake pads stop the car better than ceramic pads do. The ceramic pads have a very hard composition, so they don't "bite" into the rotor very well. They do, however last a long time, are quiet, and dust-free. A carbon metallic pad is the exact opposite. It's softer and "bites" into the rotor better, but the trade-offs are brake squeal, and huge amounts of brake dust...

^^^ yupp.

Well if your going to be racing it then get the upgrades for it. But for normal street use, I just dont see the need to do it. Especially when you can just buy top of the line pads and rotors. But if you race it, then get upgrades for it.

I've had no problems in the last 8k miles since I replaced my original pads and front rotors with the Cheapo Wearever Rotors from advance and some $19.99 Napa Brake pads...still look like new and stop great (they groaned a little when the pads were new).

Its easily the best stopping 1st gen W-body i have ever been in.

I would say that properly functioning calipers and rotors that aren't worn like they seem to do on the inboard plate do very well.

The '94-up rear brakes seem to work much better than the '88-'93 units. I think that the swap could be done and still keep the parking brake cables just by changing the rear cables and routing them using custom brackets as they are on the '94-ups.

Honestly, my mom's '97 GP GT with Performance Friction pads on the front does not stop noticably faster and its brakes are also in tip-top shape.