A/C help for you!!

Pontiac6KSTEAWD

Ok, most have found out that the TGP low side fill port is located under the turbo. It requires alot of work to charge the system, and do it without burning yourself. Well, I found a better way today...

First off, lets start off with the Drier/accumalator. Its located in front of the turbo, and has fairly easy access. Its aftermarket part number is 33171. This part has no serviceable ports, and usually requires replacement after so much time.

So with that in mind, how about replacing it with one that has a low side service port built in? Thats what I did today. I took out the old drier, part number mentioned above, and replaced it with another drier, aftermarket part number 33206. No modifications are required with this new drier. Just remember to replace your old o-rings with it. Its quite simply plug and go type of thing, put in the new drier, vac the system down, and fill up with R-134a or R-12 (I did R-134A).

There is 1 diference inbetween the 2 tanks, the low side port of course. Other than that, theres nothing else. Althou I have one recomendation, make sure your car is cold and cool befor you start doing this. I didnt, and now am nursing some burns on my fingers :dammit: .

Old part # = 33171

New part # = 33206

Various O-Rings, which usually come with the new tank.

Autozone does stock it, Advanced does also stock it. They may have to order it thou. Not sure of other part stores.

To the mods: posible to make this into a FAQ or something along those lines for the other users? Thanks..

Ooooh.. nice work Brian. I'm glad that you did this because I am not educated in this matter at all, but pulling the turbo to charge the A/C is not going to happen. How much did this drier set you back?

Also, do you know if there are washer type oring seals between the compressor and the hose? I can't remember and need to know before I fill it. This week I will be doing this.

Nice work man.. 8)

RW89TGP, Anywhere there are hose connections there are O-Rings. You can usually buy a GM O-Ring kit at most parts stores. The kit will contain many O-Rings, and it can be somewhat troublesome to figure out which ones you need. Just match old to new, and your set.

The new Drier/Accumalator cost me 34.99 at Autozone. Advanced is a couple bucks more.

Update: I made a correction in part #'s. I ordered one part and recieved someone elses part. The part store called me and said you part is in. I told them I had already picked up my drier. The guy says " So thats what happened to it, that was someone elses." :bash: . The Correct drier is identical to the original but with a low side fill port located on the front corner. I installed it, vaced down my system. And let me tell you, that Mo-Fo is COLD!!!

So there it is fellas, installed, tested, and proved extremely functional. Just make sure you order the new correct part number, and not the other one.