Power Antenna to Fixed Antenna Conversion

Frosty4477

Sounds easy huh? Sounds reallllll easy. Well, let me just tell you i had a few setbacks. If you want to do this to your w-body instead of buying an expensive replacement power antenna setup be prepared. (note: or if you can get your hands on a freaking power antenna mast DO THAT).

Here is a list of THE CRAP you'll have to go through:

1. Taking out the big old power antenna device.

2. Noticing that what you have left, is a male end to plug into the new antenna fixture.

3. Looking all over to find a fixed antenna with a female receptor end.

4. Finding out that they in fact, don't exist.

5. Resorting to look ALL OVER THE EARTH to find a male to male auto antenna connector.

6. Finding out that they in fact, don't exist.

7. Getting really pissed off and hating the idea of running a whole new antenna line and removing the dash and radio.

8. Finding out that when car audio shops run into this problem, THEY SPLICE the coaxial cable. YEAH, REAL PROFESSIONAL. :shock:

9 Caving in and attempting to follow suite.

10. People.....have you ever spliced a coaxial cable by hand? YEAH theres one tiny fragile wire protected by a plastic shiedling that needs to be connected and then connecting all the outer copper wires that arn't long enough anymore after connecting the middle one. So you have to get some speaker wire and take out enough tiny copper braids to connect them all. ITS FUN

11. Using the crap plastic plugtype bracer that is not at the perfect angle for your car.....to hold the antenna fixture......so it wobbles around. Wobble Wobble Wobble. AHHHHHHH

12. Getting out the rubber one that the power antenna used, and boring that mother out in the middle so the new fixture can fit.

Then you can enjoy your radio stations with what seems to be great crisp reception........but you'll always wonder if it'd sound better without that ghetto splice job you did.

Maybe this post will save someone a little brainstorming time and a headache. Thanks.

Most of the time people replace their antennas because they are broken. The mast was busted off inside of mine, as i would assume it is in most cases. I must remark that its nice not to hear that power antenna retracting noise when i shut off the car though........lol that would be a power antenna in a fixed position. Not a authentic fixed antenna man whats wrong with you. jk

One of my old beaters many years ago (84 Caprice Wagon) had a power antenna with a broken mast. I cut the remnant of the old mast down flush with the fender grommet, and then found a metal rod that would fit down inside the center of the cut-down old mast. I cut the metal rod at about 3 inches, then drilled and tapped one end of it so I could insert a screw that would then thread into a replacement fixed-aerial mast. After I got the mast attached to the rod, I jammed it down into the old mast, keeping 1/8" or so of the rod sticking up so I could epoxy the end of the rod to the fender grommet.

All in all it didn't look too ghetto, and the radio reception afterward was excellent.

On my 88 GP the power antenna was broke, so I got a fixed one from a Grand Am at the junkyard, tore out as much of the old power antenna as I could, and just duct taped teh bitch together. Ghetto? Yes. Could you see it? No.