Wierd Electrical issue...Cruise Control vs. Brake Lights

Redwolf

Strangest problem I've had with the old girl yet. Seems that the cruise control or possibly the multi-function switch itself is interfearing with the brake lights. Here's the symptoms:

- Left brake lights do not come on, unless cruise control switch is at the 'On' position

- Pushing switch to Off will cause lights to turn off

- Pushing switch to R/A will cause the lights to turn off, even when released. Moving to off and back to on, or moving to R/A again seems to fix it (the latter sometimes doesn't work).

- Sometimes it will take a second or so for any of the above to take effect.

- Brake lights are brand new

- Hazzard lights work perfectly, regardless of cruise setting

- Fuses all good

- Cruise control works very intermittently, even when rear lights work...Set button could possibly be having an effect as well.

I think it's the stupid Multifunction switch...when I had the car inspected after I got it, the guy said it needed to be replaced, but I never had any problems with it. Looking through the schematics in the Haynes book shows it's probably the turn signal switch, since the brake light signal goes through there so that one of the rear lights can blink, but I want to be sure of this. Seems odd that the cruise control switch would have an effect here.

Any insights?

It could be that when you're operating the cruise switch, it's jostling the turn signal switch, causing the intermittent brake light problem. The multifunction stalk is very easy to replace, simply unplug the tiny connector from the wiper switch and pull it straight out.

Replacing the signal switch is a pain, unless you have all of the tools. Check the FAQ section, or click on the link in my sig below for instructions on how to replace the signal switch...

My Supreme had a wire harness that was placed poorly from the factory. It rubbed up against a metal bracket and slowly stripped the wire. Sometimes when a wire grounds out, it can do weird random things

BTW this wire was for the brake lights

If you pick up a new signal switch, unplug the old one from the bulkhead connector and plug the new one to test it out before you tear your column apart :) ...