need help with a couple problems on my install...

terryk2003

ok...well, i finally got my amp hooked up and got my infinity kappa 6 1/2 components in...and, well...i'm having a couple issues right now and could use a lil help...

first off...for some reason when i shut the door and the dome lights go off there is a buzzing noise getting introduced into the speakers (fronts only...so, its gotta be something with the amp)...when the dome lights are on...NO NOISE...when they go off, i have noise...is this a grounding issue!?, or is it because the door jamb switch is so close to the power wire!?

second: there's WAAAAAYYYY to much bass coming out of the front speakers...they sound really distorted...its not solid bass either...its really nasty distortion...

help would be good here...thanx in advance!

I think the first one could be a grounding issue. When I relocated my amp I picked a poor spot to ground it. It did all kinds of wired stuff. Unless the dorr jamb switch is piercing the jacket of the power wire, I doubt it is causing your problem.

On the second, does the amp have a built-in crossover? If so use it. If not, you next option is a product called bass blockers. They wire in-line with the + wire and are basically a high-pass filter.

As an example: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A0WuuOm7WXv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=761&I=127BB6

Glock

Did you run your RCA cables and speaker wires together down the opposite side of the car as the main power wire?

Recheck all of your wires to make sure there were no accidental abrasions, and make sure they're all connected tightly to their connections.

If you're only amplifying your front speakers and powering the rears off of your HU, you'll notice a difference in sound level between the fronts and rears when you first power up the amp. You should be able to adjust the "gain" on your amp (you'll most likely have to tweak it a bit to get it to sound "just right") and some amps have an adjustment for Bass/Treble. I don't think the Bass Blockers would be beneficial in your case (they're designed for those cheap-ass tiny dash speakers) seeing as your separates have their own crossovers. You could try a ground-loop isolator (they sell the type that plug into the RCA cable, and also the type that wire into the radio's positive wire...)

I just remembered something: when you attached your ground cable in the trunk, did you grind away the paint where you attached the wire to the frame? That could also cause you some problems...

I just remembered something: when you attached your ground cable in the trunk, did you grind away the paint where you attached the wire to the frame? That could also cause you some problems...

i actually grounded it to the same place i mounted the amp mounting board (the little bracket that comes off the antenna...

also noticed another issue...i can hear my alternator when the car is running...there is a whining noise coming through the speakers...

i actually grounded it to the same place i mounted the amp mounting board (the little bracket that comes off the antenna...

also noticed another issue...i can hear my alternator when the car is running...there is a whining noise coming through the speakers...

Ground loop isolator. They sell them at Meijer's for $6 or so. I almost guarantee that'll fix your whining/noise problem. Run it inline with the RCA's, I believe.

I don't know how good of a location that is for the amp's ground wire. I ran mine to the area behind the rear seatback, drilled a hole, scraped away the paint, and used a large-head license plate screw to bolt the ground wire down.

I'd try a new location for the ground wire before going any further...

ok...i'll try another spot...maybe i'll just drill a hole somewhere under the trunk carpet and bolt it down...

as far as the bass coming from the fronts...i turned the high pass filter on, on the amp and stopped that...i really thought it would sound alot better then it does...to me it doesnt sound much better then it did stock...i actually had more bass before i screwed with it...kinda pisses me off...specially since there were a number of people who said it sounded like they had subs...mine deffinatly doesnt...maybe i just dunno wtf i'm doing and i don't have things adjusted right...oh well, i'm just kinda pissed right now that i spent so much money and it didnt really do much...i shoulda just bought a F-ing sub :roll:

Well don't think of it as a complete loss. Just hang in there, I'm sure with a little patience you'll get it adjusted and it will sound 1,000,000 times better than stock. There isn't much you can fuck up when installing a system (unless you have a "spaghetti" of wires all over the car :lol: ...)

There isn't much you can fuck up when installing a system (unless you have a "spaghetti" of wires all over the car :lol: ...)

HEY NOW...i'm not done yet :lol: ...maybe mounting the speakers in that tree stump wasnt such a good idea after all :bash:

but really...the wires are kinda messy in the trunk at the moment...but, inside the car they're neat and you really wouldnt even know i have the speakers hooked to an amp...i havent got the trunk organized yet because i wanted to get everything installed and sounding good before i finish mounting the amp and tie the wires up...

i dunno...i'm just not impressed yet...maybe i bought shitty components and thats why it sucks...guess thats what i get for actually TRYING to do something right... :roll:

dont use a ground loop isolater. you will lose power and sound. try moving the ground and make sure none of your signal wires cross your power wires (as mentioned). ive had two amps that have had internal ground problems and it was impossible to get rid of the alternator noise.

ok...well, i moved the ground to the trunk floor...ground the paint off, then used a sheet metal screw to attach it...same problem...that alternator noise is TERRIBLE!!...the noise from the domelights now goes away after the lights fade off...so, thats not a big deal...the alternator noise is though...so, someone tell me how to STOP IT!!

How many subs do you have? If you have more than 1 check the wiring and make sure they are in phase with each other. Also if more than 1, do you have the ohm load correct to match the amp?

Which way are the subs facing? If they are facing front, this could be part of the problem. I have had the best luck with the subs facing rear. An easy test is to turn on the stereo, find a good bass track. Then while listening, open up the truck. If it gets way louder, the reflections from the trunk are killing your bass. Need to move the speakers closer to the rear. In most cases facing backwards solves this problem.

Is the box the correct size?

Do you have the gain on the sub amp adjusted correctly?

Do you have a big enough amp pushing the subs?

also, i forgot to add that i just put this alternator on last sunday cause mine decided to take a SHIIIIIT!!!...maybe i screwed up buying the cheapy from murry's... :shrug:

ok...well, i moved the ground to the trunk floor...ground the paint off, then used a sheet metal screw to attach it...same problem...that alternator noise is TERRIBLE!!...the noise from the domelights now goes away after the lights fade off...so, thats not a big deal...the alternator noise is though...so, someone tell me how to STOP IT!!

You need to isolate the noise in the system. Unplug the inputs to the amps and turn the car on. If there is noise present, it is coming from the amps. Do the same thing with the next component in the system (i.e. EQ or deck, which ever is next). When you find the one where noise is coming from, you need to work on cleaning it up. In my Beretta, I had to install a custom LC filter on the constant +12 going to the deck.

Good luck.

Glock

From my expieriences with both my cutlass' I've never been able to get totally rid of the alternator noise when the volume of the speakers is at 0. I dont notice it at all when the volume is increased though. I have also noiced with my curent setup a problem in my steering colum that caused this sort of loud noise through my comonents when I first start the car up. I would move the tilt up and down and it would go away. I dont know if this even related to your problems but I just thought I would add it anyways.

And the trick with components is getting them tuned correctly. This is usually made alot easier if your head unit has the different settings in it.

What are your settings set at on your 2 way cross overs that came with the componets,o that whinning should is your alternater dieing lol,it can't keep up.Get a load test done on it to just if it is the problem for that.

what brand of wiring did you use? if you bought crappy rca's that could be your problem.

and you are the winner my friend... :lol: ...i decided to try and isolate where its coming from like someone else said...i unplugged the set of rca's that are going to my rear speakers and the noise went away...i plug em back in and its back...i used the set of rca's that came with my streetwires amp wiring kit for the rears, then i bought the other rca's for the front 2 channels...they are the same brand, just a different kind...i have an extra set of rca's laying around here, so i'm gonna try them and see if that does it...

After I got the amp with my four speakers installed there was the alt. loop. I got a RCA filter and that fixed it, no problems at all. As for wires, Ive used nothing but Tsumani wires, never had a problem.

well, that wasnt it...tried another set of rca's and same deal...now i actually have that noise coming from the other speakers too...this whole setup is fuckin shit...leave it to me to spend a shitload of money on junk :bash: ...ohhh...i tried tuning it some more, and its just shiiit...there's no way it sounds good @ all...i'm about to just hook the speakers up to the HU and forget it... :cuss:

Is the sound only coming when the car is running or when its off? IF it happens only when its running, does the noise increase when the RPMS go up or no?

Is the sound only coming when the car is running or when its off? IF it happens only when its running, does the noise increase when the RPMS go up or no?

the sound is ONLY when the car is RUNNING...and yes it goes up & down with the rpms...deffinatly coming from the alternator/charging system...

Ok so you already unplugged the rca's at the amp and the sound went away. Now unplug the RCA's from the rear of the deck. If the sound still exists, it is getting radiated into them. Move their location to solve.

If the sound goes away, then the problem is the filtering in the deck. Put a LC filter on the 2 power wires (+12V const and +12 switched). This should get rid of the sound.

Glock

Ok so you already unplugged the rca's at the amp and the sound went away. Now unplug the RCA's from the rear of the deck. If the sound still exists, it is getting radiated into them. Move their location to solve.

If the sound goes away, then the problem is the filtering in the deck. Put a LC filter on the 2 power wires (+12V const and +12 switched). This should get rid of the sound.

Glock

i unplugged them @ the deck and the sound went away...