What should I do about my TGP??

skalor

What should I do??  

1. 1. What should I do??

• Sell the TGP and buy SR20DET powered Sentra
    • Keep the TGP

OK, my friends just blew the engine on his SR20DET powered '91 Sentra SE-R and he decided that he's going to sell it/part it. I'm sure the cause of the problem was that he was maxing out his injectors and I've warned him of this a couple times now. Anyways, I did most of the work on the car when we swapped the engine(probably 80% of the work), so a lot of my friends already refer to it as my car. I'm thinking that if I sell my TGP that I can buy the car and get a new shortblock for it. The car ran a 13.6 @ 106 on 205 streets tires on only 7.5 psi coming out of a T25. Granted it has S3 cams, lightweight flywheel, underdrive pullies, and a complete 3" exhaust. We were never able to run more that 7.5 psi as the injectors would max if it was revved over 7,000 rpms. Anyways, I think I could sell my 5 speed TGP pretty easy since I'm one of maybe 4 or 5 manual TGPs. What do you guys think??

Here's a video of the car running a 13.18 @ 106 on slicks with 7.5 psi of boost.

http://www.gmv6.org/videos/sentra-13.18.mpg

Tough call, not sure your priorities or preferences so will make some guesses. On the Nissan, not sure if this car, which is nearly as old as yours, just how many other wear parts are left to replace? And the cost and involvement to replace those when the time comes or before. With that much extra power over stock, not sure what items might at some point fail from the new extra (13.1 :shock: ) power, which looks like a pretty healthy increase 8) . On the other side, there is plenty of aftermarket for the Nissan, but Jap performance parts can be insanely priced though most I have seen are built to the hilt and worth the money to someone keeping the car 8) , not a lot of differences between wholesale and retail costs for these parts, leaving little you can save looking for something on sale :( . Drifting baby, invest in tires :P . As for the TGP, a few have done turbo swaps that are the best way at being faster, top-end swaps are some work and if the turbo and injectors are already near their limits, not sure this is the best way to spend your time and money, either way chip tuning is needed to reap the rewards and that can be done. Looks like your TGP is damn clean, and the looks are tough to match, comfort and features and all that as compared to the Nissan are a preference call. What you have fixed on your TGP that will serve you for another 15 years verse what might be due at some time on the Nissan :shrug: . No issue with repair and mod work for you on the Nissan 8) so that’s just left to time and money for what you want or need to do later.

Good luck with your choice, hope the one you pick works out for you!!

Jeff M

Why buy the Sentra? If you're not into good looking cars....buy that Pinto that blew its doors off :lol:

:lol: That Chevette is about as ugly as the Dodge Omni GLH, but these small piles of steel sure do respond to hp increases, like a 4-wheel motorcycle :lol: Maybe some Aero Kits later to get the Nissan to look like a Sylvia, plenty of aftermarket for these cars to make them look sweet 8)

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan

:lol: That Chevette is about as ugly as the Dodge Omni GLH

Jeff M

ouch :lol: the GLH is soooo much more of a car than a Chevette!

keep the TGP, but yeah, it's a preference call.

Me personally I wouldn't want to drive a Sentra over a TGP with a moonroof, leather, and HUD. Plus all the other goodies.

What do you think you'd enjoy the most. The Sentra is obviously a significantly quicker car (with a new engine of course, and especially if you run larger injectors and push more boost), but do you want quick or do you want luxury? What is the insurance difference going to be? Is it going to cost you significantly more or significantly less to insure that car, that might help you decide. And, you do already have the GTP if you want something with some luxury. It seems that the Sentra would be the play car on the weekends and stuff and you might not miss the luxury.

If you do decide to sell your TGP, I might be interested definately let me know. I've made the 1250 mile round trip once, I'll do it again. Its probably out of my price range, but then again I don't know what you would want for it.

Shawn

:lol: That Chevette is about as ugly as the Dodge Omni GLH

Jeff M

ouch :lol: the GLH is soooo much more of a car than a Chevette!

Ya man :D , I was using the Chevette in that vid that looked like it ran a 10 :shock: , like some GLHs can :twisted: , to liken the two 8) , other than that :shrug: :)

Jeff M

Add heads, cam and turbo..and your good to go too. Can you seat 5 people going to trips on the sentra??? :? . Is it a Mclaren?? :twisted:

I bet he can sit 4 people just fine in the Sentra, which is all he can do in the GP. (afterall it is a McLaren, meaning it gets rear buckets) And its not his primary car so I don't think he's worried about it anyways.

Shawn

I have a '99 GTX that is my daily driver, so keep in mind that it will only be driven occasionally. I'm not really looking for luxury so right now I'm leaning towards the Sentra as it just has so much more potential than the TGP. I've seen a stock block SR20DET put down 419 HP at the wheels. I don't remember how much TQ it had but it was in the high 300 range. Lets say that I break even buying the car and putting a new engine it it. I'm going to buy new injectors right away so that's another $250 for 440cc or bigger(it has 370cc on it now). I'll be able to run more boost then and it should run 12s, even on street tires. What it goint to take the TGP to runs 12s?? Well, a bigger turbo(GT2871R), so that's $950 right there. Plus a 3X00 topend swap which shouldn't be more than $300 for all the gaskets. I already have 3400 heads. Also, I don't think my clutch will hold up at that point so I'm going to need a new clutch and performance clutches for the 284 aren't cheap, so at least $400. At any rate I'm going to have to really think about what I want to do. :mrgreen:

I guess the real question is.....How much can you get it for? That must be the reason you pose this question in the first place. It must be dirt cheap

because,

Its a freakin Nissan Sentra. They're a dime a dozen. Sure it has potential for mods with the engine swap etc but you can't get around the fact that its a Sentra. There is nothing special about a Sentra like there is with a TGP. I'm not meaning to sound like an ass and I'm sure the rice boys would have a different opinion. All in all its what you like. My only thought was in my original reply, there are plenty of BUGLY cars that are fast. If you're not into looks but want a fast car... I would look again at that Pinto I mean Chevette that wasted the Sentra.

Its a freakin Nissan Sentra. They're a dime a dozen. Sure it has potential for mods with the engine swap etc but you can't get around the fact that its a Sentra. There is nothing special about a Sentra like there is with a TGP.

I know some people that look at the TGP the same exact way...it's just a Grand Prix. :P I realize the point your trying to make, but it's a moot point since there are always cars that are better. Screw it, I'm just gonna sell the TGP and do a turbo setup on my GTX...12s should be easy on 15 psi. :twisted:

<<Screw it, I'm just gonna sell the TGP and do a turbo setup on my GTX...12s should be easy on 15 psi. >>

Now that's the best idea I've heard yet. The GTX would be soooo much more a car in every way than the Sentra.

I dibble around with the turbo ford stuff here and there, I've had an SVO, XR4TI and several Turbo Coupes. They can be bought cheap and make nasty hp numbers. 13's are

attainable by mere bolt ons. Some how I get bored with them quick even though they're fast. The TGP has a diffrent flavor completely. Its fast, its comfortable and looks mean. The GTX is the same way in my opinion, looks mean, comfortable and has the potential to be a Mustang killer.

However, Unless this Sentra is something special other than an engine swap. I don't think you could compare it to the TGP as being common place even in the eyes of the uneducated. It's just not comparable. The Sentra is an economy car for the most part, the GP isn't. You could argue its a Sentra SE-R or what ever but it's like putting lipstick on a pig, it might look different but its still a PIG :wink:

Guest TurboSedan

^

|

|

|

|

what he said!

Turbo GTX would be awesome! i still see the Sentra as a little econobox and would much rather have a 5-speed TGP, but if that's what you want then go for it.

wanna trade your TGP for my GTS? it should be in the 13s with less than $300 :)

no, i didn't think so :lol: i was just being rhetorical, your TGP is very nice!

I took the TGP out of the garage today and gave her a bath. I took her for a ride after I was done, like I usually do to get her dried off. After cruising around for a while I realized that there is no way I'm getting rid of this car...what was I thinking. :roll: :P

I took the TGP out of the garage today and gave her a bath. I took her for a ride after I was done, like I usually do to get her dried off. After cruising around for a while I realized that there is no way I'm getting rid of this car...what was I thinking. :roll: :P

I KNEW that would happen!!! Good choice! I'd kill for a TGP as nice as yours!!

Guest TurboSedan

haha! same thing happened to me when i thought about selling my GTS.....in the end i realized i am just way too in love with it. good choice :thumbsup: