"Groaning" noises with No Turn-Over this morning?

gmrulz4u

I guess I should first point out that it this morning wasn't the FIRST time it's made a GRoooaning sound...it's been doing it ever since it got cold I think...this morning was the coldest day this winter though, 1 degree Farenheit, -25 Celcius...WITHOUT the windchill!

Anyways, my first attempt at starting my car this morning just resulted in a groaning type sound...it actually kinda sounded like how the fuel pump makes that noise when you put the car in RUN, but this was A LOT less healthy...it sounded like it was dying...

It has been making this kinda of noise for about 2 months now, but what made today's the strangest is the fact that the car didn't even ATTEMPT to start...I couldn't even hear the Starter engaging or any noise resembling an engine trying to turn-over...

So, after thinking "Great, I'll have to take cab to work", I tried it again for the second time, and it started fine...

So what the hell? I'm almost 100% sure it is fuel delivery/fuel pump related...it's also been hesitating after initial acceleration from a Stop...sometimes, in the time it takes my foot to go from the brake pedal to the gas, it feels/sounds like it's just about to die/stall...

I know there's a Fuel Pump Fuse and Relay, but to my understanding, these two things are either BAD or GOOD, there's no in-between...right?

THANKS!:)

OK thanks...is a Relay an electrical component? I don't exactly understand what one really is...or what it's main function is...is it mechanical, or electrical etc...?

THANKS A BUNCH!:)

Guest Anonymous

It's electrical. When power is requested by something, (in your case the computer telling the fuel pump to run when the key is turned on), it acts like a switch. It allows the power to go through. Think of it as a light switch. When you want the light on you flip the switch. When the fuel pump needs power the relay flips the switch.

I'm sure someone else has a little better explanation of this, but that's my $.02.