New Struts & Springs up front...A couple ??'s

GOT2B GM

I spent this past weekend installing my ST springs and Monroe Sensatrac struts in the front of my Z34, and I must say, I am pleased with the cars new stance.

When I removed the strut cartridges out of the strut body, I found oil inside the strut body. To me it smelled similar to hydraulic oil. I simply drained the oil out, slipped the new nuts over the new cartridges and reassembled. Was the oil from my original struts leaking? Or was I supposed to have oil inside the strut body surrounding the cartridge? I also have a light clunk in the front suspension over bumps. Is this normal with the ST springs or do I have a loose/worn strut mount etc??

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate your input.

That sucks... I drained the oil out of the strut housings, but never put it back in because I assumed my struts were leaking. Now I have no oil in my housings, will this damage my struts??

Ahhh thats good about the oil. I think I know whats causing my clunk. My new struts came with new nuts and washers for the top of the shafts, but my old struts didn't have any washers under the nuts, so I never put the washers under the new nuts when installing the new struts. Maybe I bottomed out the nut on the shaft and there is some play between the nut and the bearing. What do you think Invasion?

BTW I really appreciate your help and knowledge.

I think someone didn't read the instructions that came with the struts! :read: I bet somewhere in the instructions it says to leave a certain amount of oil in there to keep the strut cool. At least, that's what was on the instructions with the Monroe struts I installed.

The oil isn't necessary though. The original strut cartridges were an open design and the outer housing was the strut housing which is why there's oil in there. Replacement cartridges are completely self-contained.

I think someone didn't read the instructions that came with the struts! :read: I bet somewhere in the instructions it says to leave a certain amount of oil in there to keep the strut cool. At least, that's what was on the instructions with the Monroe struts I installed.

The oil isn't necessary though. The original strut cartridges were an open design and the outer housing was the strut housing which is why there's oil in there. Replacement cartridges are completely self-contained.

I was headed there....

At least for the Monroe replacments, the instructions say to drain the oil in there, and add new oil....

I didn't know you don't have to add oil to aftermarket cartridges though...

My Monroes didnt have any instruction sheet inside the box, and my Haynes manual mentioned nothing about the oil. So if I want to add oil to the struts without removing the housing, I'll need the special GM tool to remove the nut that holds the cartridge in.