Just installed FFP dogbones, car vibrates like hell...

Grand Moff Joseph

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grand Moff Joseph

• digitaloutsider

• 19Cutlass94

• 5speedz34

Ive had the FFP monts is for a while and i duno if it happens to everybody but when I shift from neutral to drive, the idle drops low and it sounds like the engine is going to stall but it doesnt

my car did that before I put the new bones in anyway. When I shift into gear, the rpm drops like a rock, then comes back up again. Is that a problem too???

I think i remember having two lowers replaced on my 3.1 long time ago. At a store theyre 50$. One they said was really a bitch to change and cost 200$. My tranny went out later and while the cradle was down they changed it for free. So 200$ at that shop your looking at prob 100$ for their "genuine" gm mount and then they charge like $80+ an hour to do it.

sounds like going to the auto parts store and getting the parts from there, and doing it myself is the best option. :)

that kinda stinks but I guess Ill just have to live with that idle till I can get around to fixing it........ what would you have to do to change the idle anways?

i dont know why people think thats normal. mine dosnt vibrate like that

sounds like the idel is a bit low. Motors will shake and shutter when the idel is set to low.

Can't you manually raise the idle at the throttle?

Yes remove the top plate above the throttle cable coil on the throttlebody and there should be a little screw next to it. just give it a few turns while the car is running until it quits shaking. this will have different effects as the car warms up and as the outside temperature changes.

another way would to be adjust the IAC or makesure its working properly

The only time my car shakes like that is when its running at operating temp, it wont shake at all when its cold even at idle, but what effects would manually changing the idle have?

With 2 'real' jacks. You can jack up the car body with one and use the second to hold the subframe with the engine held in place with blocking (keeping it held solid in place). Remove both front wheels when its up and detach the control arms (kind of a pain in the arse). Lower the subframe after carefully detaching it...

I and a fella I used to go to because he had air tools, replaced a whole subframe and rack in no time at all. Thing is we of course let the frame drop because we were switching it out with 2 jacks. Now my 88' sits in the driveway with what I KNOW is a busted lower mount. dammit.

Yes remove the top plate above the throttle cable coil on the throttlebody and there should be a little screw next to it. just give it a few turns while the car is running until it quits shaking. this will have different effects as the car warms up and as the outside temperature changes.

Yeah, I asked because I've done it before and was wondering why everyone was saying you'd have to get a chip just to raise the idle a tad bit. I don't care for how low most every car I've had idles, either, so I've raised them several times in the past. And I usually wait till they're up to operating temp before I do it (like after I get back from a drive, or so).