Just installed FFP dogbones, car vibrates like hell...

Grand Moff Joseph

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I did try the search function, but came up empty on useful information, so here goes.

I just installed FFP dogbones on my 3.1 Lumina yesterday. First of all, let me say that the difference in power delivery and shifting is awesome! Great job FFP!

Now, the only problem is, my car now rattles and vibrates like a mofo. At speed, or when out of gear, it sounds fine, with maybe just a little louder tone to it. But, when I am idling (in gear), or coming to a stop, the whole car shakes and vibrates so bad, you would think I have a rattle can attached to the car somewhere.

I have the dogbones installed properly, and torques to 50 ft/lbs of torque. Did I mess something up, or is this indicative of any sort of probleme with my car? Thanx for the help! :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grand Moff Joseph

• digitaloutsider

• 19Cutlass94

• 5speedz34

When we put them on my friends '93 Cutty, it did the same thing. The car will always vibrate more then stock, but it should quiet down after a few days of breaking in.

When we put them on my friends '93 Cutty, it did the same thing. The car will always vibrate more then stock, but it should quiet down after a few days of breaking in.

OK, but is the extra vibration really noticeable after the new bones break in? In other words, will the car always sound like a rattle can when idling in gear?

[vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech]

:lol:

Actually, I don't know.

How old are you're lower mounts, if you wanted to replace all of those that would help soften it up.

I put new mounts on my Z34 and then put the FFP dogbone, and all I could tell was the steering wheel vibrate a little.

lower mounts are original to the car.

How costly/time consuming is it to replace, and how much are the mounts?

Well you'll have to drop the front frame to do it, that's the way I would do it.

I think some guys have jacked the motor up enough to take stress off the mounts and gotten to them like that to replace them.

I would just drop the cradle, then you can replace stuff at the same time too. :wink:

[vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech] [vroom] [screech]

:lol:

Actually, I don't know.

ROFL!!!! ahahaa .... too funny.

Remember the tighter the mounts the less vibration dampening you will have. But when they are very loose it tends to buck on shift and initial acceleration.

the lower mount is probably bad, the liquid filled one, it has a metal bar as a fall safe and when the mount is bad the metal on metal contact vibrates bad

Well, the vibration has settled down a little bit today, and I noticed that the bushings on the new dogbones have begun to expanbd outwards a bit, whereas they were flush with the edge of the bone when first installed. I take that to mean that they are beginning to adjust themselves.

Also, on those lowe mounts, I had been feeling some hard thuds from the engine bay when accelerating hard, or when hitting bad bumps. Should I get the lower mounts checked out, and if they are bad. how much do you think a dealership would charge to replace them?

haha EXACT same problem when i put mine on. it was so bad it shook change in my console...and my maglite in my glovebox(what a bitch that was...f-ing annoying!!!) i just took them off before it shook something important loose. that was almost a year ago....still havent gotten the lower mounts replaced.....

anybody who had it done...or did it,how much did it cost?