Cradle bushing recall news. Long Story.

89GPSE

Has the Recall been done on Your Car yet?  

1. 1. Has the Recall been done on Your Car yet?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know But am on The way To the Dealer Right Now.

Since we are quoting......

Good News reason for the delay they had to order all NEW Bushings, Retainers, Bolts, Power Steering lines, Tranny cooler lines, and the icing on the cake a new GM Cradle !!!.

The latest recalls dealing with this are 00061A and 00065A.....released on April 6th, 2001....this replaces 97016.

Our Canadian fellows get recall 00009.....which is a recall on the cradles, bolts, and retainers....this one doesn't apply to the US. This recall is on all 90-93 W cars. Apparently we don't use enough salt. Dealers are to inspect the cradle, and replace as needed. Again, Canadian only.

Again....its not the dealers that are trying to screw you......its actually GM and the GM Warranty advisor at the dealership thats trying to get out of stuff.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• 89GPSE

• Grand Moff Joseph

• Canada

I think both of you guys are misunderstanding each other.

89GPSE, knows that he's getting more than he asked for. When Canada is saying "the cradle recall" he means the one for Canada (the country) right?

The recall for the US is technically the "retainer and bolt" recall.

OK, I just brought my car into the dealer and asked about the cradle bolt recall, and gave the service guy the print out from the NHSTA website. He looked it up and said that the recall was for lumina vans, and car based W-bodys were not affected at all.

Furthermore, he said that the rest of the recalls are too old, and since they are not in the computer database, he can't do anything about it.

I call BS - any ideas on what to do next??

well, i called the chevy number, and they ran my vin against their whole database, and no recalls came up as open. In fact, the dash pad recall didn't even exist according to their system. I mean, I can try and fight the dealer until they at least check to see if it was done, but i'm not sure how much BS I want to have to deal with on this...

well, i called the chevy number, and they ran my vin against their whole database, and no recalls came up as open. In fact, the dash pad recall didn't even exist according to their system. I mean, I can try and fight the dealer until they at least check to see if it was done, but i'm not sure how much BS I want to have to deal with on this...

Yup. That's exactly what I got. Good luck getting anything else from GM other than that bullshit. If they're going to sell a vehicle, WHY allow CRITICAL safety recalls to expire, ESPECIALLY if the NHTSA mandates that those recalls are, by law, mandatory??

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. "Oh, they expired" should not be an excuse.

Well, I went to try that, and the site you mentioned only goes back to the 1993 model year for Luminas. Prior years are "not supported"

In fact, it only goes back to 1993 for all W-bodys. So, we're kinda screwed out the a$$ here.

That was a long story? I write longer stories than that just to talk about how my day went. I guess that's why I put people to sleep. :boring:

year: 1990

state: Missouri

That's weird, we got postcards for both the 88 and 89 back in the late 90's and had no trouble at all getting them fixed. I'm in MO too.

That doesn't sound right.

Although, my TGP is a 90 too and I never got a postcard on it...

previous owner was my grandparents. I have all the servie records for the car, and none of these recall repairs show up on any documentation.

Then I suppose the recall is closed.

What more do you want GM to do? Drive to your house and do it for you? It had to have been open for at LEAST 4 years. I say, its your loss. I mean really.....obviously it has not been a problem for you. You just want to get something fixed for free.

:werd: Ditto that one.

I have owned my car for less than a year, and although I have all of the service records for it, I have no tangible evidence that these recalls were dealt with. Furthermore, I am in the same boat as many others here - if not for this forum, I would have NEVER heard of any recalls at all.

As far as GM goes, I believe that despite the age of our cars, they are still obligated to address our concerns regarding these recalls. Now, if our cars were from the 1960s, then yeah, I'd say it is beyond their means to fix them. But these cars are at most 15 years old, and are using (older versions of) much of the same chassis and powertrain components that are in use in their newest models.

But, the bottom line is, none of that really matters. What matters is that these recalls were mandated by the federal government, which means that GM has an obligation to at least inspect each and every vehicle affected by these recalls to ensure that the components in question are in working condition. It should not matter if we are the first, second or eigth owner, or that we didn't find out about this until now. They received an order from the govenrment to fix our cars, and they should be held to it.

Oh, and one more thing. No, I don't "just want to get something fixed for free". As stated in the recall notice, if many of these cradle bolts fail, the engine can essentially fall out, causing what could be a fatal accident. To me, that is worth checking on, regardless of the present condition of my car. If it is broken, then fix it; if not, then good for me. Either way, any GM dealer should at least check the cradle bolts for defects or excessive wear, and inform me if repairs need to be done. As a owner of one of their vehicles, and considering the fact that if these bolts do fail I may die, I believe they owe me AT LEAST that small of a courtesy.

See... thats what exactly happened to me ... then out of the blue. BAM! Got a letter saying it was time. =\

I said screw it and bought new bushings and bolts and did it myself.

It still clunked! gas-clunk, brake-clunk,turn right-clunk, turn left-clunk!

So I built some sub-frame connectors! the gas and brake clunk went away

I still get clunking when I turn right and left!

Now I fell a very slight clunking on the left side over every bump! WTF

Maybe I need to make subframe connectors for the front of the craddle?

Hey 89GPSE - Do you know why they are replacing your engine craddle? Could you ask them- If some part of the cradle is going bad I would like to fix it.

I think I've got a simple solution to all of this....I have access to VIS (vechile inquiry system).......what GM uses to store and keep all the data on their vechiles. If you want, PM me your VIN (for any GM vechile).....and I'll PM you back a copy of the VIS report.

Jcrow, have you looked at your a arm bushings or tie rod arms? or ball joints?

I think I've got a simple solution to all of this....I have access to VIS (vechile inquiry system).......what GM uses to store and keep all the data on their vechiles. If you want, PM me your VIN (for any GM vechile).....and I'll PM you back a copy of the VIS report.

Jcrow, have you looked at your a arm bushings or tie rod arms? or ball joints?

Heh...

VIS can only go back to around 95 - I use to work for a chevy dealer and my bro currently works for em'...

For the clunking - check ALL your bushings - don't just assume it's the K-frame...

8)

Got the car back yesterday. On taop of all that was replaced they also threw in new lower control arms. I want to take pic's for you guys to see. it is a thing words cant describe. No rust anywhere on the front underside of my car now.

Also, Jcrow, go to Jim Murphy Pontiac On Walden Ave. in Depew (between Transit Rd. and Dick Rd.) thats where I had mine done. Now that Olds is no more, I am guessing you can take your car to any GM dealer. Can't hurt to try. No more clunks no more grinding, snaping, and poping noise from the front end of the car is worth every second.

Got the car back yesterday. On taop of all that was replaced they also threw in new lower control arms. I want to take pic's for you guys to see. it is a thing words cant describe. No rust anywhere on the front underside of my car now.

Also, Jcrow, go to Jim Murphy Pontiac On Walden Ave. in Depew (between Transit Rd. and Dick Rd.) thats where I had mine done. Now that Olds is no more, I am guessing you can take your car to any GM dealer. Can't hurt to try. No more clunks no more grinding, snaping, and poping noise from the front end of the car is worth every second.

:bash: Fuck GM. You got lucky, man. Enjoy every second, that looks like a really nice car.