Cradle bushing recall news. Long Story.

89GPSE

Has the Recall been done on Your Car yet?  

1. 1. Has the Recall been done on Your Car yet?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know But am on The way To the Dealer Right Now.

Stopped at the Pontiac dealer last Monday to see if the cradle recall had been preformed or not. He said it had not and to bring the car in tomorrow (Tuesday). I drop the car off Tuesday, and get a call late Tuesday evening, the dealer telling me he had not got to the car yet but will first thing in the morning. Get another call Wednesday around 11:00 AM. Dealer again, He has good news and bad news, Good news He has got to looking at my car. Bad news no work preformed yet. Bad news the parts won't be in till Monday(4-25-05). Good News reason for the delay they had to order all NEW Bushings, Retainers, Bolts, Power Steering lines, Tranny cooler lines, and the icing on the cake a new GM Cradle !!!. As per GM recall code, Any parts deemed defective in direct relation to a recalled part must be replaced for free as to perform the recall correctly. Including but not limited to the replacement of any part damaged during the process of performing the recall. Yes Today Will Go Down as a Great Day for W-Body Owners Everywhere. :D :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• 89GPSE

• Grand Moff Joseph

• Canada

Does this recall apply to my Lumina as well??

I'll bet if it applys the recall has never been done, however the GM dealer here will have some scheme worked out already lol..

- Jeff L.

As I found on Transport Canada's Website.....

Make: CHEVROLET

Model: LUMINA CAR

Affected Year(s): 1990 1991 1992 1993

Units Affected: 13717

TC Recall #: 2000052

Manufacturer:

Campaign Code: 00009

Recall Details

On certain vehicles located in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island, extreme levels of moisture and salt can result in corrosion at or near the engine cradle mounts resulting in possible failure of the mounts. If failures occur at both rear mounts or both front mounts, movement of the cradle can cause separation of the steering intermediate shaft resulting in loss of steering control. Correction: Dealers will install reinforcement plates on repairable cradles, non repairable cradles will be replaced.

I know the recall was for every w-body from 88-? Just don't know when the recall ended. Just go the the dealer and shoot the shit with him. Get on his good side make sure he knows you love your car and will be keeping it for a long time. Then ask him to run your VIN and see what recalls have been done yet. The dealer told me when I was there that the cost for parts alone not including the 89.95/Hr. Labor rate, would just over $1400.00 just in parts. Imagine the cost with all that labor. It would be over $3000 for sure. :D Free Free Free :D

Wait....so all that was broken on your car already?

When I turn all you hear is clunk clunk. Cradle slapping against the subframe/ body. You should see where the sway bar blots on, it is ripped almost all the way off the cradle.

P. S. I just hit 69,000 Miles today. It will hurt to see 70,000

The RECALL ONLY GOES FROM 88-91!!!!!

I don't know how many times I have to say this. For some of Canada I could see it going to later years, (more salt and snow?) I could not get the recall done on my car because of that!

I would be cautious about the dealer doing all that stuff, usually warranty claims mechanics don't give a shit. :cry:

I'll have to check into this recall other then the above shows it doesn't apply to cars from my area...which I think is bullshit, but w/e. After all my car is 15 years old now

Good deal. For anyone who has not had this done, it is obviously a good idea. Even if you don't feel like fighting with the dealer, get the new bolts and bushings and do it yourself. It's only like $20 in parts and from what it says in the manual it shouldn't be too hard. While you're at it put in a 34mm sway bar too.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. For some of Canada I could see it going to later years, (more salt and snow?) I could not get the recall done on my car because of that!

I would be cautious about the dealer doing all that stuff, usually warranty claims mechanics don't give a shit. :cry:

I would raise Hell about them not doing your recall. Try a few more dealers. They have to do it, if it has not been done yet.

And dealer mechanics get paid the same rate on warranty claims as they do on every thing else. I have a friend that works at a Dodge dealer in the area. I am sure GM is no different. A company can't take away your pay because you are doing work for them, like you are doing them a favor.

I would raise Hell about them not doing your recall. Try a few more dealers. They have to do it, if it has not been done yet.

And dealer mechanics get paid the same rate on warranty claims as they do on every thing else. I have a friend that works at a Dodge dealer in the area. I am sure GM is no different. A company can't take away your pay because you are doing work for them, like you are doing them a favor.

Mine was a '92

My 88' coupe has had the recall done on it. Unfortunately I'm unsure of my 93'.

READ MY EARLIER POST!

Did I mention I hate you?? Any dealer I've EVER called about that fucking recall always told me that my VIN showed no open recalls, even though I OWNED an '89 Pontiac Grand Prix LE, my engine cradle was clunking like a mofo, and I READ THE FUCKING RECALL WORD FOR WORD.

I'd still be driving that fucking car if it wasn't for GM's bullshit. Oh well, I've got a faster car now. :lol:

Glad to hear SOMEONE'S not getting fucked up the ass without lube...

Did I mention I hate you?? Any dealer I've EVER called about that fucking recall always told me that my VIN showed no open recalls

That happened to me. They said my 88' had no recalls on it. So I paid out of pocket to fix THEIR mistake. Then a few year later I get a letter saying to bring it in for THE RECALL I was asking about. For some crazy reason I still had all the reciepts for the work done and they actually cut me a check for it.

I was lucky but still, if it falls within the guidelines of a recall and the work HASNT been done. GM should fix it FFS.

Well I just called GM and had them run my VIN..They said there was no open recalls for my vehicle...Go figure.I own a 92 Luminaz34..

They say that on purpose. I guess it takes too much in resources to keep a digital log of VIN#s and recall file #s to ensure this. :roll: I think if you just purchased a vehicle and it doesnt have a square yellow sticker under the hood located near the nose, it has'nt been recalled or the sticker gotten trashed/washed off.

I'll take a pic of mine when I get a chance later on.

I think there needs to be some clarification on GM's recalls....I've done a fair bit of research on this recall....

The latest recalls dealing with this are 00061A and 00065A.....released on April 6th, 2001....this replaces 97016.

Our Canadian fellows get recall 00009.....which is a recall on the cradles, bolts, and retainers....this one doesn't apply to the US. This recall is on all 90-93 W cars. Apparently we don't use enough salt. Dealers are to inspect the cradle, and replace as needed. Again, Canadian only.

Both 00061A and 00065A are only applied to 1988-1990 and early 1991 W cars.....in the following states....

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

Vermont

West Virginia

Wisconsin

You other states don't get snow to use salt. :P

And the following Canadian Provinces...

New Brunswick

Newfoundland

Prince Edward Island

Nova Scotia

Ontario

Quebec

Now, if your vehicle has had 97016 (which replaced the front bolts), then you get 00065A (which replaces rears).....if it did NOT receive 97016, then it gets 00061A (which replaces all four).

So....if you live in the above areas.....how do you know if your vehicle is involved in 00061A or 00065A? Follow this chart.....the VINs listed are the last 8 digits....

Wrecall.jpg

What the recall is supposed to do.....

They will replace all four of bolts (10220561), front retainers (10203412), and rear retainers (10203413) at no cost to the customer.

I don't know if this recall is currently open....none of my information states wether it is or isn't.

If your car meets the above, I suggest calling your local dealer up an asking if there are any open recalls.......or if there have been recalls that have been completed. When you do this, ask to talk to a service advisor......he will probally ask for the entire VIN.....be prepared for this.

If you feel your dealership is not treating you fairly.....call.....

Buick

1-800-521-7300

Chevrolet

1-800-222-1020

Pontiac

1-800-762-2737

Oldsmobile

1-800-442-6537

If you think they are treating you unfairly....call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at 1-800-327-4236.

REMEMBER......if you have a 1992 and newer, you are not included.....this is NOT the dealerships fault, only GM's. Please file your concern to the proper people.

My 1991 Grand Prix's last 8 digits are MF259717....so it is NOT covered under this recall. Even though I have replaced all the bolts and retainers.

Here is the chart for 00009.....

cWrecall.JPG

This applies only to 1990-93 W model vehicles in the provinces of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick.

Apparently 89GPSE is very lucky.....not only does he vechile not fit into the cradle recall......but he doesn't even live in Canada.

This is incorrect to a point.....sure, our (I am a tech for a GM dealer afterall) wage is still the same....but....we also on a flat rate system. Meaning, every job has a certain number of hours....we get paid that many hours no matter how long it takes. For instance, for recall 0065A and 0061A, you get paid 0.4 hours for it....thats for both (remember, one is all, the other is a pair). For replacing the cradle and alingment you get 4.0 hours. For recalls, they time a person doing the recall three times in a row....he has all the tools laid out and the car already in his stall....they then take the best time and cut it in half.

That's GM's recall times. Then there are warranty times.....which are slightly better (more time)....they are figured the same as recall.....but aren't cut in half. but still not quite like a customer pay time. Our dealerships use Chilton's Labor time guide. Which pay more towards *this is the first or second time I've done the job*.

Where is the "My car does not fit the requirments for the recalls" option in this poll?

I also need to add.....this recall isn't on the bushings......only the retainers and bolts.

Apparently 89GPSE is very lucky.....not only does he vechile not fit into the cradle recall......but he doesn't even live in Canada.

And i quote you...

Both 00061A and 00065A are only applied to 1988-1990 and early 1991 W cars.....in the following states....

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

Vermont

West Virginia

Wisconsin

And yes I did get lucky that the last guy who owned the car did not take it in for the recall. And yes I did get lucky that the dealer I go to has about a billion awards on the wall for customer statisfaction. So I knew he would not try to screw me out of my recall.