HELP! i can't start my car!!???? WTF?!

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

the motor is definately getting pulled completely out of the car this week....

i've been told by a reputable source (or sources rather) that this is a non interferance motor. i'm going to pull the engine out of the Cutty on Tuesday or Wednesday and pull the timing cover and i'll update then. the local NAPA has a 3-piece timing chain set in stock for $45, so i could possibly still make the dyno day this coming weekend with the Cutlass (doubtful at this point yet possible). Monday & Tuesday is reserved for finishing up the A555 trans swap for my GTS (which will probably be traded for a certain black 5-speed '90 TGP very soon btw :) ). i really hope i can make it to the dyno with the Cutty, but otherwise i'll have my GTS there. oh well.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canada

• sl3196

• TGPilot

• Turbocharged400sbc

not to sound like a dick, but when you had that engine all torn down, why did you not replace a 227k old timing chain? i woulda have no matter the shape it was in on the basis that its got that many miles.

Because timing chains typically don't fail.

I mean really.....where do you start and stop replacing parts? 227k bearings, rings, pistons, crank, rods, heads.......

Guest TurboSedan
Because timing chains typically don't fail.

I mean really.....where do you start and stop replacing parts? 227k bearings, rings, pistons, crank, rods, heads.......

exactly. and because if i spend any real money on a Turbo 3.1 MPFI i will spend it on my 'real' VIN 'V' engine. this was a budget based project; the new gaskets & seals, the Melling HV oil pump and rebuilt heads were as far as i was willing to go with this particular engine. i really wasn't concerned with the timing chain. i just hope the cam is ok....

I'm willing to bet the cam is okay. That many miles on a timing chain isn't unheard of, but they do tend to give with that many miles and then having performance parts put on. One of my roommates has my old beat ass beretta, and its timing chain finally gave way after 246k, 3.1 mpfi. I think it might have just been that time and alittle added stress made it give.

We put a new timing chain on the beretta and she runs fine now. that makes me think its a non interference.

Guest TurboSedan
3 piece timing chain set eh......

Chain

Cam Gear?

Chain spacer?

i have a new GMPP Chain, GM OEM Cam Gear, but not the new spacer.....

is that a big deal??

i'm not sure. i'll go down to NAPA tomarrow and have a look at what it includes (they have it in stock). otherwise i'm not going to worry about fixing the Cutlass until next week.

a normal timing set will include the chain, sprocket and dampener. I believe that most are made of nylon. Josh did you install the dampener according to the torque specs?

Guest TurboSedan
a normal timing set will include the chain, sprocket and dampener. I believe that most are made of nylon. Josh did you install the dampener according to the torque specs?

i didn't replace the timng chain parts nor did i touch the dampener (is that also the tensioner?). the tensioner that the chain rides on actually had a few chunks broken from it. i remember pulling a few chunks of broken plastic tensioner after i removed the timing cover but i didn't think much of it since it wasn't broken where the chain rides on (god damn i'm a cheap ass!). (note to self: do things the RIGHT way next time.)

i won't be pulling the motor until next week at the earliest....this should be interesting.

thats why they put the in park/neutral rev limit at 4200 for an auto. because shit breaks at 5500

Nah, That beretta got the shit kicked outta it. It was chipped, intake and exhaust... that was it. We'd rev it to 6000 and dump it into drive. It was great. Great shit kicker car to beat on.

The timing chain took a dump because it managed to get in a bit of water at about oh.... 4000 rpms and it just popped.

New chain and a few pump without spark plugs took care of that. It runs to this day.

Maybe on 3800s they do......but the 660 can take quite a large amount of abuse for no more that what it is.

My Regal only has one rev limiter and that's around ~5800rpm. :)