lowered car also tire question/edit: front kyb's

pwmin

i took my friend's set of held coilovers and put them on my stock struts and used my old mounts. tell me if thats a bad idea. at first i put on gr2's but they were from a monte so the travel was an inch higher at full extension and at full compression and the car rode like a slammed honda. my first question is would the difference in travel cause the struts to be so rough or is it just because of the gr2's being stiffer than stock struts? my second question is what tire size to go with. the car is lowered 1.5" all the way around and i have the stock 16x6.5" wheels. can i go with 245's? i think the wheels are wide enough but is it a good idea? i can get 245/50 16's which makes the tire about an inch shorter or go with 235/55 16's which would make the tire about half an inch shorter or none of the above?

edit: i put in gr2's in the front and it didnt ride any worse than stock (aside from the lowering springs). im even more confused now about it being so stiff with the gr2's on the rear versus the stock struts with the coilovers. anyone make sense of this in regards to this part from before: "at first i put on gr2's but they were from a monte so the travel was an inch higher at full extension and at full compression and the car rode like a slammed honda. my first question is would the difference in travel cause the struts to be so rough or is it just because of the gr2's being stiffer than stock struts?" any other thoughts on why this is?

The car being stiff could be the struts, but probably more likely the springs are too stiff on the coilovers. I've heard Held uses springs that are too stiff.

245/50-16 is what's used on the TGP and I think that size fits nicely. Your wheel gap will increase 1/2" on all sides though.

so if 245's will fit, ill go with those. they ride like stock with the stock struts/held coilovers. would the struts being an inch compressed more than usually cause them to be stiffer?

245's on a 6.5in wide wheel?

Um..how about NO.

Go to Tirearck and I'll bet you that between 1/3 and 1/2 of all 245/50R16 tires aren't even rated for a 6.5in wide wheel...........and for the ones that ARE, that is the MINIMUM allowable width.

I sugest looking for a set of GTP/TGP crosslaces (which are 16 X 8in), or another aftermarket wheel.

That, or just go with 225/55 (same overall diameter as 245/50) or 235/55 tires..........

discounttiredirect lists 245 50 16's as an alternative to the stock 225 60 16's. im not sure if they'll fit so im trying to figure it out. i wouldnt think they would, but if its listed maybe they will. i dont know. i heard they were 6.5" wheels but ill measure them tomorrow for sure.

They'll fit. There have been Z34 guys that have squeezed 245/50-16 on a 6.5" wheel with no problems as well, but I'm pretty sure yours are 16x7.

TGP's come standard with 245/50-16.

See now, *I* have also heard 6.5in as the width for the 94+ 5 star wheels.

Pull one off..........I bet it says somewhere around the hub on the back side (most wheels have size, width and offset stamped in back there).

And yes...TGP's DO have 245/50R16's........on the afforementioned 8in wide crosslaces....sooo....... :wink:

car-part.com says theyre 6.5" but i measured them and they're 7". discount lists a 6.5" wheel as compatible with a 245 series tire also. so looks like ill be getting 245 50's. are these tires decent (obviously not for snow im not worried about that, mostly performance for around 100 bucks) http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?sw=false&cs=245&pc=43007&rd=16&ar=50

edit: i measured them again because it was raining when i measured them earlier and they were between 6.5 and 7 on the wheel caliper, so im not sure.

car-part.com says theyre 6.5" but i measured them and they're 7".

edit: i measured them again because it was raining when i measured them earlier and they were between 6.5 and 7 on the wheel caliper, so im not sure.

Where did you measure them?

Because the width is from the inner side of the lip to the inner side of the lip.

And sice the lip is like 1/4 in think, there's your 7in :wink:

I'll bet money they are 6.5in.

23.7 cents :D

As for the tire choice.........

Yoko VS ES100's are a nice budget performance tire.

BUT.

Going to 245/50's on such a narrow wheel (even if the tire was rated for them..........which the ES100 is NOT) is going to hurt the tire's "footprint" so badly as to negate any handling advantages you'd get from the lower profile tire.

BTW........here are the spes that Tirerack has for the ES100:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=AVS+ES100&partnum=45WR6ES100&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Notice the rim width range for the 245's..............7in MINIMUM.

Might want to recomsider :wink:

i measured them on the inside of the lip with one of those plastic wheel caliper thingies.

stupid question: if i want the tires to sit a half inch lower in the wheel well, do i want the overall diameter of the tire a half inch smaller or the sidewall so the overall diameter is an inch smaller? i have been back and forth trying to figure this one out but i think i want the sidewall to be a half inch shorter but im not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

J, ill let you know. i got my 245 45's today and hopefully ill get them on tomorrow. i got some crosslaces on the way that they are going to go on but i want to try the them on my 7" wheels to see how they fit and to give me time to clean up my new old wheels

i put the kyb's back on the rear and it doesnt ride bad this time. not sure what's going on there, but they were noisier than last time. the body of the strut is about 2-3" taller so it hits the upper mount. finally figured that out. so im gonna ditch the kyb's and get the right ones. also, i bought 245/45/16 in Toyo T1-S and should be getting my crosslaces tomorrow. i put the new tires on my old 7" wheels just to see and you can definitely see they are not wide enough for the tires. there is about a half inch on each side (quick approx.) where the tire is not making contact with the ground. hopefully i get my wheels tomorrow and can repaint them and have them on this weekend. ill post pics when i get them on there.

235's will be ok, but youre gonna have a hard time finding them. most companies dont make much but some you can find 235/50's or 235/60's but not much with a lower profile unless you go up to 17's. i had 235/60's on and they were fine. got the wheels today, just gotta get em on. the sensor took a shit on our wheel balancer so i cant balance them right now. sucks.