Tell Me What U Think... 89 Turbo Grand Prix

ritchierich1

Found an 89 Pontiac Grand Prix for sale today. Red, 83,000 miles, 1 owner, auto, a/c, cruise, ps, pb, abs, p windows, p locks, tilt, sunroof, and leather seats. Stealership wants $3,000 for the car. Do you all think this is a good deal? I drive 1100 miles every two weeks, and need something reliable. Let me know what u think.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prospeeder

• Jeff M

• ritchierich1

• TGPilot

well, if its in good shape...that doesnt seem to bad for a TGP...i dunno if i'd get something like that for a daily driver (personally)...but, hey...its up too you...if you DO get it, just be sure to post pix

Well, I have a 94 regal, 92 civic (daily driver), and am getting a 92 plymouth voyager for free. So, this would be a third car if I did get it. Just wondering how reliable and how much of a pain in the ass they are to work on.

i wouldnt get it, reliablity on these cars are horrible, the xover is always 100% shot that causes ur car to run rich and stall, thats costs 400$+100$ core charge + 400$ or more bill to get it installed, thats the jeff M that wont crack again, the GM ones that will crack again are 1600$, also the brake cylinder likes to go out too, so u gotta replace that or parts on it for well over 500$, and if the turbo goes bad, then ur screwd, another one is 500-1000$, ur bettter off getting a 91-96 GTP w/ the 3.4 dohc that is just as fast, N/A, and alot more reliable,

EDIT, the TGPs are awful to work on, i mean, the battery is under the windshield wiper resivoir and the coolant bottle is way down in there that u can barley get to it, wireing and vacuum lines out ur ass, amd everythings crammed to close u cant even get to anything, and the PCV valve is behind the plenum, u cant get to that either, and a ton of other stuff

I am looking on autotrader, and the prices are lot more than the $3,000 this guy is asking. I am figuring something is really wrong with this one. Thanks for the advice. Too much of a pain for me. I'll still probably go test drive it though.

HE HE :mrgreen:

i wouldnt get it, reliablity on these cars are horrible, the xover is always 100% shot that causes ur car to run rich and stall, thats costs 400$+100$ core charge + 400$ or more bill to get it installed, thats the jeff M that wont crack again, the GM ones that will crack again are 1600$, also the brake cylinder likes to go out too, so u gotta replace that or parts on it for well over 500$, and if the turbo goes bad, then ur screwd, another one is 500-1000$, ur bettter off getting a 91-96 GTP w/ the 3.4 dohc that is just as fast, N/A, and alot more reliable,

EDIT, the TGPs are awful to work on, i mean, the battery is under the windshield wiper resivoir and the coolant bottle is way down in there that u can barley get to it, wireing and vacuum lines out ur ass, amd everythings crammed to close u cant even get to anything, and the PCV valve is behind the plenum, u cant get to that either, and a ton of other stuff

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not too different from a normal 3.1. If you think the 3.4 is an easier engine to work on, man I dunno...

The mileage on the TGP is damn low... its loaded. THe price might be a lil high, but its a nice piece of Pontiac history.

Plus they're damn fun to drive.

i wouldnt get it, reliablity on these cars are horrible, the xover is always 100% shot that causes ur car to run rich and stall,

RELIABLITY is Horrible???? really...?? I drove my STE turbo for 20,000 miles last year and it never missed a beat...no stalling no problems at all...aside from the Cradle bolts breaking ABS not working(which is fine with me) and the fact I put 1400 in suspention, wires and tires in to the car....

but it still starts and Runs great...no tranny problems as of yet Knock on wood.....

The TSTE/TPGs are good for toys or are Great if you have the Funds to support it....its like a coke habbit thou Im warning you...

i dunno, 3,000 doesnt seem like THAT much overpriced. the ones(actually only 1) near me the guys been selling for over 2 years for over 6800 with 61k.

3000 sounds like a deal to me. haha i laugh when people say 3.1s are unreliable. yep thats why they last over 200k miles on original engine/tranny(not all do).... :roll:

3K isnt that bad of a Price how ever I would never pay 3K for a 89 a 90 yeah but not a 89 there are differances in them enough where I would not consider a 89 unless it was a Great deal....

EDIT, the TGPs are awful to work on, i mean, the battery is under the windshield wiper resivoir

Kinda like every other 1st Gen.

Except 88 and 89's without ABS.

I have a TGP and a 3.4 DOHC, the TGP's are a ton easier to wrench on than a 3.4 DOHC.

The crossover is a 1-time fix if you buy the Jeff M pipe. Turbochargers should last a long time if not abused. I think the worst part of a TGP is the PM3 ABS system.

I use my TGP as a daily driver and love it. Well, I have a love/hate relationship with it because some typical w-body things have gone wrong with it. But, I have 243k miles on it now, and it starts right up, runs smoothly, and is not a bit of trouble on the road. Original engine and turbo still in it.

I think the worth on these cars is highly subjective. I bought mine in much better than average shape for $1000, even with the miles, and so far I think it is worth every penny. Is it worth $2000 more to have 160K miles less? I can't say, that's pretty much up to you.

Oh, and I just changed the battery today. I just removed the rubber hose from the intercooler to the throttle body pipe so I could get my hands in there. The resevoir comes out after removing one nut, and the battery will pull right out. Looks much worse than it really is.

Now if I can just get that damn driver side door open. :?

why is it i was in that one post about rilability and i said 3.4 is unreliable, and then u all freak out and say its the best most reliable thing ever, but here u all say its unreliable and not good for a daily driver

Guest Anonymous
why is it i was in that one post about rilability and i said 3.4 is unreliable, and then u all freak out and say its the best most reliable thing ever, but here u all say its unreliable and not good for a daily driver

WTF? I NEVER said the 3.4 was a reliable engine... ever.

Tough? The 3.1 is a breeze compared to other motors I've seen. If I can figure out how to wrench on one, than anyone can.

FACT!! 8) Besides its a 15 year old car :roll: How well was this car or any 15 year old car maintained will decide what the next owners is in for :read: . There is one guy who posted here with over 200k miles, I know of a few over 200k and one that had 260k miles on original turbo, tranny and engine :twisted:

So why did you/prospeeder get so many replies, maybe because we have so many actual long-time TGP/TSTE owners that know their cars and like them and such a slap at the cars might get their attention :lol: not surprising :wink: , don't take it personal, they are trying not to :lol: . ABS is 80% of the time just the accumulator, $100 and be done with it!! Turbos are turbos but this one is water cooled and only die from owner abuse, not the car’s fault, but not seen many at all go bad, we just hear of the few since people come here to bitch sometime, other times to ask where best to get it rebuilt, that is what is nice about a shared owner board like this, its easy to get mislead by those coming here with problems seemingly more so than other subjects, why would all the rest of the many owners come here…..to brag they have no problems :lol: ?

92PettyEdition (nice car btw) it was just your grammer (no big deal) that if read too fast might make someone think that, I checked it again and seen you were just comparing things 8)

Jeff M

Well, I am honored to have Jeff M actually say something in my post. From what I have read as of late he seems like a god. Thanks :mrgreen: Anyway, I went to look at the car today. Has 84,165 actual miles on the car. Nobody was there so I couldn't test drive it though. Interior looked very good, only saw a tear in the rear cloth underneath the back window. There was a few scratches on the drivers side, around the front of the door. Also, there was about a five inch long dent on the passenger side fender. I am going to call the guy tomorrow and see if he will finance or if he will take a credit card as a payment. I also want to try to lower the price a little. Hopefully I can work something out with him. Granted the car passes my driving test. Thanks for the help everybody. I enjoy everybody's input. :D