'97 GP GT Chime Problems

supreme_style21

Got a buddy with a '97 Grand Prix GT. Apparently, whenever he hits any moderate bumps in the road, the chime sounds. No lights whatsoever come on in the car... just the ding..ding..ding. I guess after the car levels out, the chime stops. Any idea what could be causing this??

what does the chime signify normally? Sounds like a pretty easy problem to fix. somethings loose and sets it off when it hits a bump. find whats loose and fix it. im thinking its something with the door

The fuse that controls the chime would be a good place to start, after that, look around in the dash for any loose wires(like ismellrealbad suggested) and/or any bare wires. after this possibly find whatever it is that produces the chime?

Yeah thats what I kinda had in mind. He said it sounds like the door chime, like when the keys are left in the ignition or headlights left on. I'll have to dig around and see if I find anything. Someone suggested a loose battery cable could make some things go haywire? Anyone hear of this happening?

I guess a loose battery cable could also be possible, if its touching anything else and grounding out it could cause a lot of bad things to happen or so I would imagine.

Does he have an aftermarket radio installed? I know in some of the newer GM vehicles the radio controls the chimes and interior lights and stuff. Not sure on the 97 though.

Really? I didn't know that. Everything in the car is basically factory. We haven't looked for the problem yet because of a cold weather/lazyness combination.