How do you fix the magical flapping fuel door?

Bossman429

I noticed today that my damn fuel door has no spring tension to hold it shut. The damn door flaps open when I turn right, I think it's pretty common on W's, but how do I fix it?

I went to the salvage yard today and found a GP SE with a good fuel door spring, but had no clue how to pull it off of the car, I really only need the metal tab that acts as the tensioner for the door (attached to the hing). Does it bolt on through the trunk? or is it rivited onto the body?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: that GP I was looking at today had a blown up 3.1 but a complete 5 speed tranny with nothing removed, Getrag 282? I'd probably want a 284 it I put a manual into the STE?

Anyways, thats a concern for WAY in the future, I need to fix the little things for now, like the fuel door.

I replaced that spring on my '93 GTP when I first got the car. IIRC GM had two different designs of the mechanism, Coupe being different than Sedan so I don't know if my experience helps you or not. I had to unbolt the hinge assembly and take it out of the car. Check your inner fender/wheel well for 2(?) nuts to remove. I had to pull the inner fender shield down for access first.

Then the hinge assembly came out through the fuel door (after taking the black plastic trim out first - 3 sheet metal screws I think). I then put it in a vice but it was still a 2 man job to get that spring in there! Then reassemble.